Tumeric chicken soup is an amazing cold and flu busting bowl of comfort food. Once you taste it, you will fall in love with this delicious gluten free chicken soup! When you see the ingredients in this clean eating turmeric chicken soup recipe, you are going to think I am crazy.
Make this easy soup recipe and you’ll be eating gluten free goodness through the cold and flu season. If you are suffering from a cold or the flu, you will also want to try my grandmother’s homemade chicken soup recipe! It is Jewish penicillin for the soul.
How to use Turmeric
I love using turmeric in my recipes. This cold busting chicken soup recipe is full of nutrients and is a natural anti-inflammatory. Turmeric will stain your fingers, clothes, etc. I found that out when I made these turmeric chicken wings. They stained my baking sheet bright yellow!
Lately, with all of the sports injuries the guys in our family have had lately, we could really use any help we can get. My son is growing so fast, his ligaments aren’t keeping up with his bone growth and he is pulling a lot of muscles. His achilles, IT band, elbows, and knees. He is starting to get frustrated because he can’t play sports a lot of the time. He starts another round of physical therapy, so I am hopeful he can get back to the thing he loves.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric can also:
- Reduce inflammation
- Fight free radicals
- Relieve arthritis pain
- Help control diabetes and cholesterol
- Help with depression
I love to make a big pot full of turmeric chicken soup during cold and flu season.
This homemade chicken soup freezes well too, so be prepared this winter!
Since both of my kids love homemade chicken soup, I thought using turmeric would be a perfect solution to get some natural inflammatory ingredients into them. (*Cooking with turmeric is easy. Here are two more delicious turmeric recipes to try: Turmeric Curry Lime Cauliflower or Turmeric Vinaigrette.)
I really don’t know what I was thinking when I tossed random ingredients into the pot, but this turmeric chicken soup recipe turned out really, really good. Paleo, gluten-free, and dairy free. It has lots of turmeric chicken flavors. You can add rice or noodles, or just enjoy it without carbs.
Tumeric Chicken Soup Recipe Notes
The first thing you will notice is the almost “neon” yellow color of this gluten free chicken soup. My son almost wouldn’t eat it because of this. After a few minutes, I finally did convince him to give it a try. After two bowls, he declared this recipe a success:-).
Gluten Free Fontina Cheese Herb Scones are a delicious gluten free option to serve with the soup.
Click here to see all of the soup recipes on this blog.
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Tools You Need To Make this Healthy Chicken Soup Recipe:
- A big soup pot. Go ahead and make big vats of soup so that I can freeze some for other meals.
- Easy chicken shredder. I used to use two forks, but these make shredding meat so much faster and easier!
- 6 cups water
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large chicken breasts, raw
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt, I added more later so you may want to taste and add salt as needed
- 1 cup peas, (frozen or fresh, not canned)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 parsnips, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1-2 zucchini, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- cilantro for garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add onion and cook 3 minutes.
- Add other vegetables and cook 5 minutes until they soften.
- Add raw chicken breasts, water, broth, and spices.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and cook until the chicken breasts are done.
- Remove the chicken and with two forks, shred the chicken.
- Return the chicken shreds to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes so the flavors soak into the chicken.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 153 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 540mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 4g Protein: 9g
Here are More Yummy Soup Recipes to Try!
If you love soup, this Shredded Chicken Taco Soup is another quick and easy meal.