Tumeric chicken soup is an amazing cold and flu busting bowl of comfort food. Once you taste it, you will fall in love with this delicious gluten free chicken soup!
When you see the ingredients in this clean eating turmeric chicken soup recipe, you are going to think I am crazy. This turmeric soup for colds is always on-hand during the winter!
Make this easy soup recipe and check out all of my homemade chicken soup recipes to take you through the cold and flu season. If you are suffering from a cold or the flu, you will also want to try my grandmother's homemade chicken soup recipe! It is Jewish penicillin for the soul.
Click for Table of Contents:
How to use turmeric in recipes:
I love using turmeric in my recipes. This cold busting chicken soup recipe is full of nutrients and is a natural anti-inflammatory. Turmeric will stain your fingers, clothes, etc.
I found that out when I made these turmeric chicken wings. They stained my baking sheet bright yellow!
Lately, with all of the sports injuries the guys in our family have had lately, we could really use any help we can get. My son is growing so fast, his ligaments aren't keeping up with his bone growth and he is pulling a lot of muscles. His Achilles, IT band, elbows, and knees.
Can you freeze this soup?
I love to make a big pot full of turmeric chicken soup during cold and flu season. This homemade turmeric soup freezes well too, so be prepared this winter!"
Since both of my kids love homemade chicken soup, I thought using turmeric would be a perfect solution to get some natural inflammatory ingredients into them.
I really don't know what I was thinking when I tossed random ingredients into the pot, but this turmeric chicken soup recipe turned out really, really good. Paleo, gluten-free, and dairy-free. It has lots of turmeric chicken flavors. You can add rice or noodles, or just enjoy it without carbs.
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Chicken breasts, raw
- Peas, (frozen or fresh, not canned)
🧂 Seasoning notes:
The first thing you will notice is the almost "neon" yellow color of this gluten free chicken soup. My son almost wouldn't eat it because of this. After a few minutes, I finally did convince him to give it a try. After two bowls, he declared this recipe a success:-).
Gluten Free Fontina Cheese Herb Scones are a delicious gluten free option to serve with the soup, especially if you love dipping bread into your soup.
If you love chicken as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious Gluten Free Chicken Recipes! I hope you can enjoy this soup for the fun of it, and not because your family is sick!!
Can you omit the potatoes?
If you can't eat nightshades or if you are trying to make this soup lower-calorie, you can easily omit the potatoes.
Add some greens to make this soup even healthier. Kale and spinach are great additions to this soup. You can also add diced pieces of winter squash or sweet potato.
- A big soup pot. Go ahead and make big vats of soup so that I can freeze some for other meals.
- Easy chicken shredder. I used to use two forks, but these make shredding meat so much faster and easier!
- 6 cups water
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large chicken breasts, raw
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt, I added more later so you may want to taste and add salt as needed
- 1 cup peas, (frozen or fresh, not canned)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 parsnips, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1-2 zucchini, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- cilantro for garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add onion and cook 3 minutes.
- Add other vegetables and cook 5 minutes until they soften.
- Add raw chicken breasts, water, broth, and spices.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and cook until the chicken breasts are done.
- Remove the chicken and with two forks, shred the chicken.
- Return the chicken shreds to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes so the flavors soak into the chicken.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 545mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 13g
Please note this nutrition information is calculated by a recipe plugin and is an estimate based on the ingredients used in this recipe.