If you love apple cake, this Easy Gluten Free German Apple Cake is a delicious dessert recipe to try. Double the recipe if you are feeding a crowd! I include a video below to show you how easy this German apple cake is to make
This Gluten Free German Apple Cake recipe is one of my husband’s family favorites. It is one of many German desserts recipes I can’t wait to share with you.
I am happy to say this recipe is not only gluten free, but it is dairy-free and refined sugar-free as well!
This gluten free version of our family’s German apple cake recipe is just as good as the real thing! Crisp fresh apples and lots of cinnamon give this cake so much flavor.
Our family is definitely into apples. There are so many varieties and each has its own unique flavor. There is a vendor at our farmer’s market that sells over 10 varieties of apples, many of these apples are heirloom, during the fall months.
The best apples to make this Gluten Free German Apple Cake:
Many apple types will work in this easy German apple cake recipe. Here are some of my favorites:
- Gravenstein (These apples have just the right amount of tartness.)
- Granny Smith
- Pink Lady
For this recipe, I used Pink Lady apples. I haven’t been able to find Gravenstein, except for the fall farmer’s market.
Baking with Coconut Sugar
I modified this recipe a bit from my husband’s family recipe because we are trying to reduce our processed sugar intake. I have been baking with coconut sugar quite a bit. Coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index and still sweetens baking nicely.
Coconut sugar is typically brown, which can make baked goods look a bit drabby. I was really excited to find this blond colored coconut sugar!! This blond coconut sugar helps keep baked goods lighter in color…making them even more tempting!
Feel free to use regular organic sugar for this recipe if you would like. Either way, this cake is perfectly sweet.
Shopping List for This Recipe:
This recipe doesn’t require any hard to find ingredients. As a matter of fact, there are very few ingredients at all in this recipe, so you may already have everything on-hand.
- Coconut oil
- Blond coconut sugar (see link above)
- Gluten Free flour blend (if your mix doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum, add 1 teaspoon!)
- Baking powder
This recipe is so easy to make. Here is a video that shows you EVERY step!
Looking for more gluten-free cake recipes to try?
- Gluten Free French Apple Cake
- Creamy Fool Proof Gluten-Free Apple Cake
- Gluten Free Raspberry Bundt Cake
- Gluten Free Orange Almond Flour Cake
Here are some pictures of the important steps to making this easy gluten free German apple cake.
The first step is to mix up your wet ingredients and dry ingredients in separate bowls. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Your cake batter will be a bit thick like I show in this picture.
Add the blond coconut sugar and cinnamon to cut up apple slices.
Pour the cake batter into a greased 8×8 baking pan. Top with the apple mixture. Press the apples down a bit so they set into the cake.
How long do you bake a German Apple Cake for?
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes until the cake is done. The apples will look soft and the cake will be firm to the touch.
Allow the German apple cake to cool. Slice into 9 slices and serve.
Eat by itself, or you can top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Grandma’s to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Tools You Need To Make this German Apple Cake Recipe:
- An apple slicer certainly makes cutting up the apples easier!
- I use an 8×8 baking pan to make this cake.
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar, (for cake)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 apples, (peel removed and sliced)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, (for apples)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar, (for apples)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and slice apples into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, add dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a smaller bowl add the wet ingredients and mix well.
- In a third bowl, add apples, 1/4 cup coconut sugar and cinnamon. Toss to coat.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
- Spray an 8x8 pan with coconut oil. Add the batter and spread it out.
- Add the apple slices on top of the batter and press gently into the cake batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes until done.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 255 Saturated Fat: 12g Sodium: 7mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 26g Protein: 2g
More Delicious Gluten Free Recipes To Try: