If you are looking for an easy, delicious no-bake dessert, you need to try my gluten free icebox cake recipe! This simple cake can be made as one big cake, or in single-serve portions for entertaining! There are several delicious variations and you will want to try them all!
This delicious cake is my new quick and easy cake recipe for those hot summer days! No cooking or baking required! My family was skeptical when I said I was making a new cake recipe. I love that I don't have to heat the house using my oven to make this recipe.
My new cake recipe also makes a great gluten free red, white, and blue dessert for the 4th of July if you use strawberries and blueberries. If you have been looking for a fun gluten free refrigerator cake recipe, this is the only one you need!
If you love no-bake desserts, you need to try this incredible Gluten Free Nutella No-Bake Cheesecake too!
Why this cake is so great:
My favorite thing about this cake is how easy it is to make. All you need are gluten free graham crackers, homemade whipped cream or Cool Whip, and some fresh berries.
If you use TruWhip or SoDelicious whipped cream brands, you can make this gluten free icebox cake dairy-free too!
While you are here, you will want to check out all of my delicious gluten free cake recipes! I have some incredible cakes on the blog :-).
- Gluten free graham crackers - I used Pamela's Honey Grahams, but any gluten free graham cracker works well in this recipe.
- Whipped cream - I include my creamy homemade whipped cream recipe, but you can also use Cool Whip or TruWhip. I do not recommend using spray can whip cream because it melts and doesn't hold its shape well.
- Fruit - Use any fresh berries you like.
Recipe step by step directions:
This creamy icebox fruit cake is a winner anytime! Are you ready to give it a try?
Step 1: Line a bread loaf tin with wax paper. Let the paper overhang the sides so it will be easy to remove the cake from the pan. You can also make this square by using an 8x8 pan.
Step 2: Line the bottom of the pan with gluten free graham crackers.
Step 4: Take a large #9 or #10 star tip and a frosting bag. Put the whipped cream into the bag. If you are using Cool Whip or TruWhip, add those to the bag.
Step 5: Pipe the whipped cream onto the gluten free graham crackers. I made little peaks all over the crackers because it looks pretty when you make the layers.
Step 5: Cover the graham crackers, then add a layer of graham crackers on top.
Step 6: Repeat this 2-3 times, add fresh fruit to the top. Feel free to drizzle chocolate over the top.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
They call this an icebox cake because it is made to soften and get ready in the refrigerator. The moisture from the whipped cream softens the gluten free graham crackers into an almost cake-like texture.
An icebox cake should be eaten the day after you make it so that it has time to soften and the flavors blend together.
You can freeze this cake by wrapping it in plastic wrap, then gently wrapping it in aluminum foil. Make sure the cake is chilled from the refrigerator before wrapping it up.
My favorite is Pamela's Gluten Free Honey Grams, but there are other brands that also work well.
More gluten free no-bake recipes:
- Gluten Free No-Bake Nutella Cheesecake
- No-Bake Chocolate Oat Cookies
- Easy No-Bake Protein Balls
- Delicious No-Bake Yogurt Tarts
Gluten Free Icebox Cake
- 15 ounces gluten free graham crackers 2 boxes of Pamela's Gluten Free Honey Grahams
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 pints berries
- 2 ounces dark chocolate optional for the drizzle
- In a large bowl, add the heavy whipping cream and whip until it forms stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Put the whipped cream into a piping bag with a large frosting tip. You can spoon the whipped cream over the graham crackers too, it just depends how you want the cake to look. both ways are fine.
- In a wax paper lined pan, add a bottom layer of the graham crackers. I used a large loaf pan. The wax paper should fold over the sides. This will help you easily remove the whipped cream cake when it is cooled.
- Pipe or spoon whipped cream over the layer of gluten free graham crackers.
- Top with a layer of gluten free graham crackers. Repeat two more times so you have 3 layers of graham crackers.
- Add the final layer of whipped cream on top.
- Add the fresh berries.
- Optional: Melt your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. I recommend doing this on 15 second intervals to avoid burning. Drizzle over the cake.
- Refrigerate a minimum of 2 hours. I like to refrigerate it overnight so the graham crackers get nice and soft.
- I like to use Pamela's Gluten Free Honey Grahams, but Schar Honeygrahams, and Kinnikinick are also good. Note for Kinnikinick you need to let the cake sit in the refrigerator longer because those graham crackers are a lot denser than the other two brands.
- Many ask if you can make this recipe dairy-free. You can if you use very cold coconut milk instead of heavy cream. I refrigerate the coconut milk overnight. If it isn't really cold, it will not whip up.
- Use any berries you like, or use a mix of berries like I did.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)