If you love chocolate, these homemade gluten free chocolate crinkle cookies should go onto your must-try cookie list. They are soft with that special melt in your mouth quality that is famous with crinkle cookies!
Click for Table of Contents:
Have you seen the big chocolate crinkle cookies at your gluten free bakery?
Gluten free crinkle cookies are always so tempting with their sugary glaze. These gluten free cookies are soft, delicious, and they are bursting with chocolaty mint flavor.
I have wanted to make a gluten free chocolate crinkle cookie for a long time. We made these gluten free brookies last week, but now we are ready for crinkle cookies!
If you are a cookie-a-holic like me, then you may need to make a few different cookie recipes so you have a lot of cookies on hand :-). Try these Anyway You Like Them Pantry Cookies and these Gluten Free Funfetti Sugar Cookies.
Why these crinkle cookies are great:
This easy gluten free chocolate crinkle cookie recipe is one of my favorites because they are so chocolaty! They are easy to make and you can freeze them so you have chocolate cookies all of the time!
There is also something about forming dough balls and rolling them in powdered sugar that makes these cookies more hands-on and fun.
You will find these cookies will inspire your kids to find new ways to sneak them. If you want to try another fun crinkle cookie, give these Gluten Free Honey Crinkle Cookies a try too!
What you need and ingredient notes:
- Gluten free flour blend - I have tested two blends in this recipe. King Arthur Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan gum- if your blend doesn't contain this or guar gum, you will need to add it.
- Cocoa powder- I really like the quality of Anthony's, Rodelle, and Ghirardelli brands best.
- Vanilla - use real vanilla and not imitation.
- Almond flour - make sure to use flour and not almond meal or your cookies will turn out gritty.
Step by step recipe instructions:
Step 1: Add the dry ingredients in this gluten free chocolate crinkle cookie recipe to a bowl and whisk to blend.
I have tested two gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn't mean other blends won't work, I just haven't tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
As always, if your blend does not contain Xanthan Gum, you will need to add 1 teaspoon.
What cocoa powders are gluten free?
I love using Rodelle Vanilla Extract. This vanilla is made from high-quality Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans. The flavor really comes through in this cookie recipe.
Step 2: In a smaller bowl, add your wet ingredients and whisk to blend. Pour the wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix. This can be done in a standing mixer if you prefer.
Step 3: Once you get your dough together, use a spoon to scoop out some dough. Roll the dough into balls and then roll in powdered sugar. Place the cookie balls onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
Step 4: Press the dough balls flat to about 1/2 inch and then bake at 350º for 8 minutes. Dig in!
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
Powdered sugar is gluten free, but it is always important to read the label just to make sure.
You can add 1 teaspoon peppermint extract or add chunks of Ande's Candies Mint Candy to add mint flavor to these cookies.
You can make these cookies nut-free by omitting the almond flour and adding an additional 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend.
You can make these crinkle cookies dairy-free by using a vegan butter.
These cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Absolutely delicious! We made another batch with nuts as well, those were also amazing."Lilliana E., Pinterest User
More Gluten Free Cookies To Try:
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, add dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a small bowl, add all wet ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix.
- Add Andes Chocolate pieces and mix.
- Scoop a little dough and roll with your hands into a ball shape.
- Roll the ball in powdered sugar and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- When all of the dough is made into these balls, flatten them to 1/2 inch thickness with your hand.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
- Remove onto a cooling rack.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- If you want to reduce the sugar, you can skip rolling the cookies in powdered sugar.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- I highly suggest using almond flour and not almond meal. Almond meal is more coarse and will make your donuts grainy.
- To make this recipe nut-free, omit the almond flour and substitute an additional 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend.
- These cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)