If you like chocolate cookies and brownies, you are in for a treat with these gluten free brookies cookies. These cookies are moist and delicious and full of chocolate. You will love that these gluten free brookies are also dairy-free AND nut-free.
You will need to hide these from your family if you want more than one for yourself!! I made a short video to show you how easy this brookie cookie recipe is to make. If you love cookies as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious gluten free cookie recipes. There are a lot of delicious options to try!
First, you have to choose a team. Team Cookie or Team Brownie. Once you decide on your team, you can decide what you think of this gluten free brookies recipe. Consider these to be like brownie cookies. They are moist like brownies, but they hold their shape like a cookie.
I adapted this recipe from one my friend Charissa at Zest Bakery likes to make. She calls these “brookies” because they are a cross between a brownie and a cookie.
My kids love these chocolaty cookies. They are soft and sweet…but not too sweet. This is a fun recipe to make with them because you get to use your hands to roll the brookie dough into balls. If you love soft cookies, you will also want to try these Gluten Free Russian Tea Cookies.
Are you ready to make these cookies for yourself?
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- White sugar
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Gluten free flour blend
- Baking powder
- Confectioner’s sugar
Add your dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend.
In a medium bowl, add your wet ingredients and whisk to blend.
Pour your wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
This is what your gluten free brookies cookie dough will look like.
Make a roll with the cookie dough on plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an hour.
Make cookie dough balls and roll them in powdered sugar.
Use a glass to smoosh the cookies to be flatter.
Now the brookies are ready to bake. They are already looking like gluten free brookies!
I am sure you have questions, and I will do my best to answer them.”
Bake your cookies at 350F degrees for 8-10 minutes.
What is the best cocoa powder to use to make the brookies?
Do you have to smoosh the brookies flat?
You do not have to smoosh your brookies, you can leave them in ball form. Please note that it can affect your bake time.
You do not have to roll these brookies in powdered sugar, but please know you won’t get that sweet crinkle look when you bake them. They will also be less sweet so you may consider adjusting the sugar in the recipe.
If you love chocolate, you will want to also try these gluten free chocolate desserts:
- Creamy Dark Chocolate Custard
- Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Crinkle Cookies
- Edible Gluten Free Chocolate Cookie Dough
Things You Need to Make Gluten Free Brookies:
- I used this gluten free flour blend. I believe Zest has a custom gluten free flour blend available in their bakery too.
- A great cookie sheet.
How to make these gluten free brookies:
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- confectioner’s sugar
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar, cocoa, and salt. Whisk to blend.
- In another bowl, add all wet ingredients and mix well.
- Slowly stir the liquid mixture into the flour mixture until fully incorporated.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled.
- Scoop chilled dough into small balls and roll in confectioner’s sugar. I found that it was easy to just scoop out a chunk of dough, sprinkle some powdered sugar on it, and then roll it into a ball. Use a glass to smoosh the balls flat to about 1 inch thickness.
- Place cookie balls on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Bake in 350F oven for 10-12 minutes.
- They should still be a bit soft, but fully cooked all the way through.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a minute or two before moving them to a cooling rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 155 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 54mg Carbohydrates: 24g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 15g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g