If you like chocolate cookies and brownies, you are in for a treat with these gluten free brookies cookies. These cookies are moist and delicious and full of chocolate.
You will need to hide these from your family if you want more than one for yourself!! I made a short video to show you how easy this brookie cookie recipe is to make.
I know your first question. What the heck is a brookie?
First, you have to choose a team. Team Cookie or Team Brownie. Once you decide on your team, you can decide what you think of this brookies recipe. Consider these to be like brownie cookies. They are moist like brownies, but they hold their shape like a cookie.
I adapted this recipe from one my friend Charissa at Zest Bakery likes to make. She calls these “brookies” because they are a cross between a brownie and a cookie.
My kids love these chocolaty cookies. They are soft and sweet…but not too sweet. This is a fun recipe to make with them because you get to use your hands to roll the brookie dough into balls.
(insert photo of rolling the brookies in powdered sugar.)
If you love chocolate, you will want to also try these gluten free chocolate desserts:
- Creamy Dark Chocolate Custard
- Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Crinkle Cookies
- Edible Gluten Free Chocolate Cookie Dough
Are you ready to see how easy these brookies are to make? Here is a quick video to show you every step of the way!
What do you think? Easy, right?
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Grandma’s to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need to Make This Brookie Cookie Recipe:
- I used this gluten free flour blend. I believe Zest has a custom gluten free flour blend available in their bakery too.
- A great cookie sheet.
- You will want a good quality cocoa powder like this one by Anthony’s.
How to make these gluten free brookies:
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- confectioner’s sugar
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar, cocoa, and salt. Whisk to blend.
- In another bowl, add all wet ingredients and mix well.
- Slowly stir the liquid mixture into the flour mixture until fully incorporated.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled.
- Scoop chilled dough into small balls and roll in confectioner’s sugar. I found that it was easy to just scoop out a chunk of dough, sprinkle some powdered sugar on it, and then roll it into a ball. Use a glass to smoosh the balls flat to about 1 inch thickness.
- Place cookie balls on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Bake in 350F oven for 10-12 minutes.
- They should still be a bit soft, but fully cooked all the way through.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a minute or two before moving them to a cooling rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: cookie
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 152 Cholesterol: 40mg Sodium: 90mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 19g Protein: 3g
(**NOTE: This post was one of my very first posts on this blog from 11/2013. I updated the post, re-did the recipe, reshot the pictures and added a tutorial video on 3/2018.)