These incredible gluten free fried cheese sticks are double-dipped for the ultimate crispiness! If you LOVE gooey cheese, this gluten free mozzarella sticks recipe is a must-make appetizer! It is something you will want to make (and eat) again and again!
If you have been missing fried cheese sticks since going gluten free, it is time to rejoice because this recipe is not only EASY, but these crispy sticks taste like the real deal! They are crispy on the outside and full of hot melty cheese on the inside! You will love the cheesy goodness!
If you are looking for a new appetizer recipe to make, I can't recommend these gluten free fried mozzarella sticks enough. Enjoy them at game day celebrations, or any party.
Appetizers are my thing. If they are your thing too, check out all of my scrumptious Gluten Free Appetizer Recipes.
Why This Recipe Is Great:
- I teach you the tips and tricks to make gluten free cheese sticks that don't fall apart or lose their crispy coating. These are the crispiest, best gluten free mozzarella sticks EVER!
- This recipe is my favorite recipe, and it will easily become yours too. The best part is that I use simple ingredients that you can find at any local grocery store.
- Although mozzarella sticks are considered the most popular fried cheese, you can use any flavor of cheese. Pepper Jack and cheddar cheeses also are deliciously fried.
- If you are egg-free, you can substitute the egg for ranch dressing!
If you love gooey melted cheese as much as we do, you will also want to try this Stuffed Queso recipe too!
- Cheese Sticks - I like to use regular cheese sticks but you can also buy block cheese and cut your own.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend - Gluten free flour blend - I tested this recipe using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Gluten Free Bread Crumbs - Use store-bought or make your own gluten free bread crumbs. Gluten free panko bread crumbs are also good to use.
- Avocado Oil - I like to use avocado oil for frying but canola and other high heat oils also work well. Do NOT use olive oil.
- Italian Seasoning - Use a blend or use dried basil.
Recipe Step By Step Directions:
First, you need to gather up your ingredients. You only need 6 simple ingredients to make this gluten free fried cheese stick recipe.
Step 1: Grab three shallow bowls. In the first bowl, combine bread crumbs and dried Italian seasonings. Mix the breadcrumb mixture well. In the second shallow bowl, add the gluten free flour blend. Lastly, in the third bowl add the egg and whisk it.
Step 2: Dip the piece of string cheese in your gluten free flour. Next, dip it in the egg mixture, then back in the gf flour.
TIP: If you like a crispy coating on your fried cheese sticks, you must double-dip your mozzarella sticks. Another reason double-dipping is good is that the thicker coating will prevent your cheese from leaking out when they cook.
Step 3: Take the cheese sticks and dredge them in the egg again. Dip them in the bread crumbs, then back in the egg. Repeat one more time for the crispiest gluten free cheese sticks ever.
Step 4: Heat up your vegetable oil in a dutch oven or frying pan. I like deep frying foods in a cast-iron skillet or cast-iron Dutch oven on the burner attachment next to our grill to keep the house from smelling like fried foods.
You want your oil to reach about 350-365º F before dropping in your gluten free mozzarella sticks.
Step 5: Fry each coated cheese stick in the hot oil for 30-60 seconds until the coating becomes golden brown. The cheese melts inside the crispy crust.
Remove from the oil with tongs and put them onto a paper towel-lined plate. This will help remove excess oil.
Warm the marinara sauce. Eat these crispy fried mozzarella sticks while they are hot and the cheese is melty. Dip your gluten free cheese sticks into this delicious gluten free marinara sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
You can even fancy up your cocktails up and dip these crispy cheese sticks into a michelada or bloody mary cocktail!
Air Fryer Directions:
You can make these gluten free cheese sticks in the air fryer. You will have to make a couple of adjustments, but they will taste just as crispy.
- Follow the above directions for coating the cheese sticks. Don’t fry them in oil.
- Place the coated cheese sticks in the freezer on a
cookie sheetfor 30-45 minutes. This will allow the coating to stay on in the air fryer. Otherwise, you will have chunks of ingredients flying around in there!
- Lightly spritz them with avocado oil when you put them in the Air Fryer basket. Cook for approximately 10 minutes at 400º F.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
I used avocado oil because it handles high heat temperatures really well. I fried these cheese sticks outside since our grill has a separate burner.
You could also use coconut oil, which is great for high heat, but note it will leave a coconut after taste...which is a little strange with fried mozzarella sticks.
For me, I prefer using gluten free panko crumbs. Regular gluten free bread crumbs work too, but panko crumbs are larger, and that gives these mozzarella sticks an extra crunch.
The best way to store leftover gluten free mozzarella sticks is to place them in the refrigerator or freezer in an airtight container.
Then when you are ready to serve the cheese sticks, you can warm them in the oven or air fryer for 7 minutes in the air fryer at 375º F or in the oven for 10 minutes at 375 degrees F.
They are best when heated back up in the oven or air fryer instead of the microwave. They tend to get soggy when microwaved.
Yes, you can bake these gluten free mozzarella sticks. Preheat the oven to 425º F. Follow the directions and place them on a baking sheet that is lightly coated with cooking spray or use parchment paper.
Bake for 12-16 minutes, turning halfway through. They won’t be as crunchy as when they are fried, but will still taste great!
This post was updated from an older April 2017 post with better instructions and tips.
More gluten free appetizers:
- Easy Cheesy Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms
- Crispy Cheddar Delicata Squash Fritters
- Easy Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Nachos
- Quick and Easy Hot Cream Cheese Dip With Scallions
Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
- 6 cheese sticks * see note
- ¼ cup gluten free flour blend * see note
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup gluten free bread crumbs * see note
- ½ cup avocado oil * see note
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or Italian seasonings salt and pepper to taste
- Grab three shallow bowls. In the first bowl, combine bread crumbs and dried Italian seasonings. Mix the breadcrumb mixture well. In the second shallow bowl, add the gluten free flour blend. Lastly, in the third bowl add the egg and whisk it.
- Heat up your vegetable oil in a dutch oven or frying pan. I like deep frying foods in a cast-iron skillet or cast-iron Dutch oven on the burner attachment next to our grill to keep the house from smelling like fried foods. You want your oil to reach about 350-365º F before dropping in your gluten free mozzarella sticks.
- While the oil is heating, cut cheese sticks in half.
- Roll the sticks in the flour. Make sure the ends and all edges are coated.
- Dip into the egg mixture. Repeat this one more time. Double dipping will prevent cheese from leaking out.
- After the final dip in the egg, roll in the bread crumbs and set aside on a plate.
- Fry each coated cheese stick in the hot oil for 30-60 seconds until the coating becomes golden brown. The cheese melts inside the crispy crust.
- Remove from the oil with tongs and put them onto a paper towel-lined plate. This will help remove excess oil.
- I used avocado oil because it handles high heat temperatures really well. You could also use coconut oil, which is great for high heat, but note it will leave a coconut after taste...which is a little strange with fried mozzarella sticks. Do NOT use olive oil.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Use cheese sticks or buy brick-style cheese and cut your own. You can use any flavor of cheese.
- You can use store-bought bread crumbs, or save money and make your own gluten free bread crumbs with my easy directions.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)
Looks like a fun weekend drink! Perfect with those GF cheese sticks!
I've never heard of this drink before, but I'm totally trying it soon!!
I hope you enjoy it 🙂
carrie @ frugal foodie mama
Now this sounds like the perfect combo to me! 🙂
It is one of my favorites 🙂
Catalina @ Peas & Peonies
Everything looks fantastic! Such a great idea!
Thank you 🙂
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet
These cheese sticks sound terrific, my kids would especially love them!
Thank you so much...we love anything melty cheese.
Perfection! Have to try your recipe for sure!
I hope you enjoy them 🙂
Des @ Life's Ambrosia
Now THAT is a bloody Mary garnish!
What fun!!! First of all ... Micheladas!
I know, yummy, right?