You are in for a treat today…we have a few lemons left in our lemon tree and I had just enough to make these moist gluten free lemon poppy seed muffins! These fluffy muffins are also dairy free!
My kids were pretty excited because they love when I make lemonade icing to go with them. Never fear, if you want to keep the sugar low, feel free to skip the lemon icing!
We make a lot of muffins, and I share a lot of them here on Fearless Dining. All of my muffin recipes are freezable. Here are some of our favorite gluten free muffin recipes, or you can try this delicious new Paleo Strawberry Muffin recipe too!
Many people wonder if poppy seeds have health benefits. I have to say they do! You know me, I sneak in nutrition any way I can!! Poppy seeds are high in:
- and many other minerals!
Are Poppy Seeds Safe to Eat?
Poppy seeds definitely have a bad rap and many people worry about eating them. Unless you plan to eat several pounds of poppy seeds, the low amount of poppy seeds in baked goods and bagels will not affect you.
You can health these muffins up even more by adding sliced almond to the top, or your favorite chopped nuts to the muffins as well. My kids are naturalists in their lemon preferences, so I didn’t add any nuts to these muffins pictures.
Also, if you are like me and you like to make and freeze the extras, you can do that with this lemon poppy recipe. I recommend icing them when you defrost the muffins so that the icing doesn’t smear all over the freezer bag.
More Delicious Gluten Free Muffin Recipes to Try:
- Easy Gluten Free Cherry and Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Paleo Pear Muffins
- Gluten Free Oatmeal Muffins
- Gluten Free Banana Oat Muffins
Are you ready to make these easy lemon poppy seed muffins?
The first step is to combine all of the dry ingredients including the sorghum flour, brown rice flour, and arrowroot starch. Add in Xanthan gum, baking powder and soda, salt, poppy seeds, and sugar. Whisk them all so that the ingredients are thoroughly blended.
In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients and whisk to blend. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently.
Muffin Making Tip:
If you over mix the batter, your muffins will not be as light and fluffy! Mix the wet and dry ingredients until they are just barely mixed!
Add the batter to parchment muffin papers and bake on 350F degrees for 20-22 minutes until done.
(*Please note, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase with one of these links, it will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the costs of running this blog. I truly appreciate your support.)
Things You Need To Make This Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin Recipe:
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup almond milk, +3 tablespoons
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, for icing
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, for icing
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently. Do not over mix or the muffins will not be as light and fluffy.
- Add the muffin batter to a muffin tray and bake for 20-22 minutes until done.
- Allow the muffins to cool on a cooling rack. Mix the lemon juice and powdered sugar to make the lemonade icing. Drizzle onto the muffins.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 206 Saturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 80mg Carbohydrates: 27g Sugar: 16g Protein: 1g
More Delicious Gluten Free Recipes To Try: