Everyone loves this crispy chicken with a sweet and tangy orange sauce recipe. If you love gluten free orange chicken, this is a delicious dinner recipe to try! I share my tips and tricks to make this simple recipe in under 20 minutes. Even your pickiest eaters will love it!
I am excited to share this crispy gluten free orange chicken recipe with you. It is a definite favorite recipe lately in our house. If you love Asian foods, you will love this easy gluten free orange chicken recipe. Serve it up with my easy gluten free fried rice recipe.
If you love this simple recipe, check out all of my easy gluten free dinner recipes.
Why This Recipe Is Great:
There are many reasons why you will love this delicious gluten free orange chicken recipe, but here are the most important ones:
- You can make this recipe in just minutes! Using pre-cooked gluten free chicken nuggets means you need a lot less time to cook this meal.
- Clean-up is a breeze because you don't have to fry the chicken.
- Use your air fryer to make the frozen gluten free chicken nuggets so they stay nice and crispy!
- It is one of our favorite recipes and is ready in under 20 minutes.
- Kids love this recipe! It is sweet and savory.
- You can control the level of spice. If I am making this recipe for Mr. Fearless Dining and me, I add some red peppers and cayenne to add a nice kick!
I made this for dinner tonight. Didn't use all of the sauce & the sauce thickened as it sat. I froze the remainder & think it will be even better next time."Terri C.
- Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets - I love using premade gluten free chicken nuggets because it not only saves time, but you can make this dinner in less time. I used Trader Joe's gluten free chicken nuggets to make this recipe. There are several other great brands of gluten free chicken nuggets including Applegate, Purdue Simply Smart, Sprout GF Chicken Nuggets, and Tyson Naturals
- Orange Marmalade or Apricot Jam - Use either flavor.
- Orange Juice - Use store-bought or fresh squeezed.
- Honey - Use any inexpensive honey. There is no need to use a fancy expensive one.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - This helps to balance the sweetness from the marmalade
- Salt - I used sea salt but kosher salt and pink Himalayan salt are also okay.
- Crushed Red Peppers - This is optional, but I do recommend using even a few to add a little spice to the sweetness.
Recipe Step By Step Directions:
Step 1: Place the frozen chicken nuggets into your air fryer. I have a Ninja Foodi Air Fryer so it has dual compartments.
If you prefer to make your chicken nuggets from scratch, use my Gluten Free Chicken Tenders recipe. If you want to make chicken nuggets, I have an awesome Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets recipe, but the ranch dressing in the batter for those doesn't work with the orange sauce, which is why I recommend my chicken tenders recipe for the breading.
Step 2: Combine the orange marmalade or apricot jam, and the rest of the sauce ingredients in a large skillet. Cook this on the stove at medium-low heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer the sauce.
Simmering will make a thicker sauce, which clings to the chicken nuggets better. The flavors will blend together so well as it simmers!
Step 3: Take the cooked chicken nuggets and toss them in the orange sauce. The sauce will coat the chicken and you can serve it over rice, or eat it separately.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
Yes, the chicken nuggets will stay crispy on the outside the day you make this recipe. If you are making this recipe ahead, you should coat the chicken in the sauce before you plan to eat it.
The orange sauce is made with orange marmalade, vinegar, orange juice, and crushed red peppers.
Store the chicken in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep fresh for up to 4 days.
You can freeze the orange chicken in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
More Gluten Free Dinner Recipes:
Easy Gluten Free Orange Chicken
- 16 ounces gluten free chicken nuggets * see notes for brand ideas.
- 13 ounces orange marmalade
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper - optional
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red peppers - optional * add more if you like spicy.
- Place your frozen gluten free chicken nuggets into an air fryer. You can also bake them in the oven or toaster oven per package directions if you do not have an air fryer. If you prefer to make your own chicken nuggets, see the Notes section for the recipe.
- Cook the nuggets in the air fryer at 375º F for 12-15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, add the orange sauce ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil on medium heat, then turn down the cooking temperature to low to simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour the hot orange sauce onto the cooked chicken nuggets and toss to coat the chicken nuggets.
- Gluten free brands of chicken nuggets: Trader Joe's, Tyson, Applegate, Perdue, Ian's, and Sprout.
- Make the nuggets homemade with this recipe https://www.fearlessdining.com/gluten-free-chicken-nuggets/ (NOTE use egg instead of ranch dressing!)
- You can use either orange marmalade or apricot jam to make this recipe.
- Serve over rice.
- This recipe will keep fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Looking for more? Get my FREE Gluten Free Lemon Desserts E-Cookbook when you sign up for my weekly recipe newsletter!