This flavorful healthy green chicken vegetable soup recipe is an easy soup recipe to make for your whole family!
Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe Inspiration
There are some weeks when I succumb to my evil sweet tooth.
It is hard to resist as a food blogger. Brands want me to try their products, and I have also noticed that my readers like sweet gluten-free recipes a lot more than healthy recipes.
Is this you?
And one cookie is eaten, and it quickly becomes three.
At times like this, I need to kick myself into gear and get the sugar out of my system. I created several high protein, super healthy nutritious green soups as a way to kick-start a week of healthy eating.
This easy soup recipe is my favorite, not only because I feel good when I eat it, but one of my kids will actually eat it!! (My kids’ mantra is “if it is green, I won’t touch it.”)
This gluten-free healthy soup recipe is full of shredded chicken, corn, carrots, spinach, and broccoli.
If I am not trying to “be good”, I top this soup with crushed gluten-free tortilla chips and about a tablespoon of cheddar cheese.
Substitutions and Tips
You can customize this soup easily to use the vegetables you have in your refrigerator. This soup is a great way to eliminate food waste by using up what you have compared to going to the grocery store to buy more.
- Look in your refrigerator, what vegetables are going bad soon? Toss it into the pot!
- Make brown rice and serve this soup over a quarter cup of rice.
- Use nutrient dense kale instead of spinach
- When you pull the whole cooked chicken breasts out of the pot, put it on a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken as shown below.
This is how I shred the cooked chicken with two forks…I use the two forks to pull apart the chicken into “shreds.”
An easy healthy chicken vegetable soup recipe
- 2 raw chicken breasts
- 4 large carrots diced
- 2 zucchini chopped into small pieces
- 2 large heads of broccoli chopped
- 2 cups raw spinach sliced very thinly
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth I use a box of Trader Joe's
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder more if you like it spicy
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Optional sour cream
- Optional chives
In a pot, add oil and vegetables.
Cook on medium heat until onions become translucent.
Add chicken breasts, chicken broth, water, and spices.
Boil for 30 minutes.
Add chopped cilantro and cook for 15 more minutes.
Remove chicken breasts and place on a cutting board or in a dish.
If you want, you can use an immersion blender to puree all of the vegetables.
Using two forks, shred the chicken breasts. (See photo below.)
Add back into the soup.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chives.
(In addition to the sour cream and chives, I like to sprinkle crushed tortilla chips on top of this soup with some cheddar.)
More Yummy Soup Recipes To Try!