This flavorful healthy green chicken vegetable soup recipe is an easy soup recipe to make for your whole family!
Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe Inspiration
There are some weeks when I succumb to my evil sweet tooth.
It is hard to resist as a food blogger. Brands want me to try their products, and I have also noticed that my readers like sweet gluten-free recipes a lot more than healthy recipes.
Is this you?
And one cookie is eaten, and it quickly becomes three.
At times like this, I need to kick myself into gear and get the sugar out of my system. I created several high protein, super healthy nutritious green soups as a way to kick-start a week of healthy eating.
This easy soup recipe is my favorite, not only because I feel good when I eat it, but one of my kids will actually eat it!! (My kids’ mantra is “if it is green, I won’t touch it.”)
This gluten-free healthy soup recipe is full of shredded chicken, corn, carrots, spinach, and broccoli.
If I am not trying to “be good”, I top this soup with crushed gluten-free tortilla chips and about a tablespoon of cheddar cheese.
Substitutions and Tips
You can customize this soup easily to use the vegetables you have in your refrigerator. This soup is a great way to eliminate food waste by using up what you have compared to going to the grocery store to buy more.
- Look in your refrigerator, what vegetables are going bad soon? Toss it into the pot!
- Make brown rice and serve this soup over a quarter cup of rice.
- Use nutrient dense kale instead of spinach
- When you pull the whole cooked chicken breasts out of the pot, put it on a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken as shown below.
This is how I shred the cooked chicken with two forks…I use the two forks to pull apart the chicken into “shreds.”
- 2 raw chicken breasts
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 2 zucchini, chopped into small pieces
- 2 large heads of broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups raw spinach, sliced very thinly
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth, I use a box of Trader Joe's
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, more if you like it spicy
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Optional sour cream
- Optional chives
- In a pot, add oil and vegetables.
- Cook on medium heat until onions become translucent.
- Add chicken breasts, chicken broth, water, and spices.
- Boil for 30 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts and place on a cutting board or in a dish.
- If you want, you can use an immersion blender to puree all of the vegetables.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken breasts. (See photo below.)
- Add back into the soup.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chives.
- (In addition to the sour cream and chives, I like to sprinkle crushed tortilla chips on top of this soup with some cheddar.)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 183 Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 787mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 7g Protein: 17g
More Yummy Soup Recipes To Try!