This creamy fish chowder recipe is special because it is roux free! It isn’t often you can have a gluten free New England style chowder. And a special bonus, this soup is also lactose free!
Grab a spoon and appetite because you are going to want seconds of this delicious fish chowder. I also include a video below so you can watch every step of making this easy chowder recipe!
(*This post was sponsored by Clover Sonoma. All opinions and happiness about their Lactose Free milk are my own.)
When is the last time you had chowder? Our family loved eating chowder before going gluten free. When I say loved, chowder was the best form of comfort food for my son.
My son went into mourning when he could no longer eat his favorite soup. When I made this fish chowder, I texted him a picture of it cooking so he knew he would have a treat when he got home.
He came home hungry, two bowls of this soup devoured…he seems to be in a perpetual growing phase.
Most New England style chowders are made with a roux. Roux is a flour paste, made out of wheat flour. This paste is used to thicken the chowder.
I am really excited to share this recipe with you because it is completely possible to get that amazing creamy clam chowder flavor without lactose and without gluten!
One of the reasons I am making this soup for my family is because I can now make it lactose-free with Clover Sonoma’s new Lactose Free milk. Their lactose free milk comes in nonfat, low fat, reduced fat, and whole milk so there is an option for everyone.
Our family doesn’t react well to lactose, so this milk is perfect so we don’t feel bloated.
I have been buying Clover milk for years. For those of you who have been reading my blog for awhile, you know how much I love companies that give back. Both to their community, and the environment.
Clover is newly certified as a B Corporation (B Corporations are leaders of the global movement of people using business as a force for good TM). I love that Clover has the forward-thinking vision of making sure our planet is taken care of for future generations.
What I love most about Clover:
- Clover has remained conscious and careful about what goes into their products (and what doesn’t) for three generations. This means you can feel good about serving Clover Sonoma’s milk to your family!
- Clover has had a sustained commitment to natural dairy products including non-GMO and organic lines sourced from small, local farms.
- They have the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability, and has the highest standards in the dairy industry.
- Their community giveback program, Clover Cares, gives at least 5% of their annual profits to support what’s dear to them: Elevating Dairy, Empowering Future Generations, and Supporting their Community. (Coming from a non-profit background, this is huge for me!)
Clover’s milk comes from 29 small family farms in Northern California, primarily in Marin and Sonoma counties. (This is up in the beautiful North Bay Area, where we love to hike and spend a lot of time.) Clover ensures that the dairy farms they work with meet their standards of quality (bacteria, coliform, and somatic cell counts), animal welfare and environmental stewardship standards.
Did you know that Clover was the very first dairy in the U.S. to become American Humane Certified for the humane treatment of cows?
Are you ready to make this creamy cod chowder? Grab Clover Sonoma’s Lactose-Free’s Whole Milk in the red container at your local grocery store.
This wholesome chowder has whole real food ingredients. You can easily customize this chowder recipe in a few easy ways:
- Change the seafood from Cod to clams, shrimp, or any of your favorite fish.
- Mix it up by using sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. This will add a little more sweetness, which would taste great with the fresh sage!
Here is a video to show you every step you need to take to make this chowder for your family:
How to Make New England Fish Chowder Recipe:
A simple, creamy lactose free and gluten free New England style fish chowder recipe.
- 6 cups Clover Lactose Free Whole Milk
- 3 cod filets
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 cups potatoes diced
- 5 slices bacon cooked, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (use 1 teaspoon if using dried sage)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme ( use 1 teaspoon if using dried)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
In a skillet, add oil and onion. Sauté until the onions begin to turn translucent.
Add potatoes and cooked bacon. Mix well.
Add seasonings and cornstarch and cook for 10 minutes.
Next, add the milk and cod filets. (You can add the cod filets whole because they will break up when they are cooked. You can also put the fish in frozen if your fish is not defrosted.)
Cover and bring to a boil, on medium heat and allow to gently boil for 10 minutes.
Turn temperature to simmer and allow to cook another 20 minutes until done.
More Delicious Recipes that are Perfect for Clover Sonoma’s Lactose Free Milk: