If you love Almond Joy candy bars, my new gluten free almond joy cookies recipe will become your favorite. It is also dairy-free so anyone can enjoy them!
Moist chewy coconut on top of a chocolate cookie or brownie...one bite and you will be hooked! Browse dozens of delicious gluten free cookie recipes on the blog and enjoy!
Click for Table of Contents:
(*This post is sponsored by Immaculate Baking Company, but all delicious sweet opinions are my own.)
You are in for a treat with these chocolaty gluten free chocolate almond joy cookie bars.
They are not only are these almond joy cookies gluten free, but they are also dairy-free. The hero of this dessert is the Immaculate Baking Double Chocolate Cookie Mix. This gluten free cookie mix is easy to use, it mixes up super fast, and it can be used by itself for cookies, or as a part of a fabulous dessert recipe!
*Note that not all Immaculate Baking Mixes are gluten free. The good news is the mixes that are gluten free are made in a dedicated gluten free facility, so you can be assured these baking mixes are both safe and delicious!
Can you believe this delicious almond joy flavored dessert is also dairy-free? I was lucky enough to find coconut condensed milk in my local market. Almond joy cookies sweetened by condensed milk give that gooey coconut texture you love in the candy bar!
Why this recipe is so great:
The number one reason I think you will love this recipe? These delicious almond joy cookies bars are full of chocolate coconut flavors, just like the candy bar. You can make these regular or dairy-free, and make them on a cookie or a brownie. You can enjoy them in about 30 minutes!
What you need to make these:
- Chocolate Cookie or Brownie Baking Mix. You can use my gluten free brownie recipe for a tasty base!
- Condensed coconut milk - If you are not dairy-free, you can use regular condensed milk.
- Shredded coconut - You will want to use unsweetened coconut because these cookie bars are already pretty sweet from the condensed milk.
- Slivered toasted almonds - Raw almond slivers are also okay as they will toast while baking.
Are you ready to give this recipe a try? Gather your ingredients.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Add the cookie or brownie mix to a bowl and make the dough according to package directions.
Step 2: Spread the cookie dough batter into the bottom of a greased 8x8 pan.
Step 3: In a bowl, add the shredded coconut and pour the coconut condensed milk over the top. Use a spoon to mix it. Pour the mixture over the cookie mix and spread it out evenly.
Step 4: Sprinkle the top with slivered or sliced almonds.
Step 5: Bake at 350º F for 30 minutes until it is done. The coconut topping should have a slightly golden color and be bubbling. It is VERY hot so do not touch the topping until it is cool.
Step 6: Let cool completely before slicing!
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can use any cookie mix for this recipe. Note that Immaculate Foods also has a yummy gluten free chocolate chip cookies and brownie mixes.
Although it will change the recipe, you can definitely omit the nuts to make this dessert nut-free
This recipe is done baking when the top is golden. Be careful though because the topping is very hot when it comes out of the oven!
These cookie bars will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
More Delicious Gluten Free Cookies:
- Gluten Free Chocolate Dipped Macaroons
- Gluten Free Brookies
- Gluten Free Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (a delicious classic!)
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Easy Gluten Free Chocolate Almond Joy Cookie Bars
- 1 Chocolate Baking Mix Make according to directions
- 1 can condensed coconut milk * see note
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup slivered toasted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Make the cookie mix according to package directions.
- In a medium sized bowl, add coconut, almond, and condensed milk.
- Mix well.
- Spray an 8x8 baking dish with coconut oil.
- Add cookie dough to the bottom. Spread to cover the whole bottom and press down. Bake 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Spread the coconut mixture on top.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Slice and enjoy!
- To make this recipe dairy-free, you can use coconut condensed milk instead of regular.
- You can use a dry gluten free chocolate cookie mix and make it, or use refrigerated gluten free cookie dough.
- To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the bars If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done baking. If you see batter or crumbs, the bars need to bake longer.
- These cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
- Be careful when you take this out of the oven. Allow cooling completely because the coconut topping will be very hot.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)