If you love cranberry, this homemade cranberry simple syrup is so easy to make! Drizzle this cranberry syrup on ice cream, waffles, or use it in a cranberry cocktail recipe like this rum and cranberry cocktail.
If you are entertaining this holiday season, you may want to try serving this Grinch Cocktail too :-).
Are you as excited about the holidays as I am? I love how the holidays can bring family and friends together. Do you have any special holiday traditions?
Our family has a fun tradition that is centered around cranberries. That probably sounds odd, but we try to come up with a new cranberry recipe every year. Something that can be enjoyed by everyone.
This is the first year we decided to make a syrup out of cranberries. My kids thought a syrup would be fun on gluten-free waffles. Mr. Fearless Dining even suggested making a cranberry ice cream. Personally, I love cranberries in this amazing gluten free banana bread recipe!
I saw this homemade cranberry syrup idea as a delicious way to make cocktails (and mocktails!) for our friends who come to visit :-). Either way, we all win with this easy to make cranberry reduction sauce!
(This is a sponsored conversation written by me and on behalf of 7UP®. All opinions and gushings are all my own.)
Cranberries are a symbol of the holidays. These tart little berries are versatile, and work with all sorts of recipes from sauces to baked foods! They are high in antioxidants, and their tart flavor works beautifully with 7UP.
You are going to love this sparkling cranberry cocktail for holiday entertaining!
Given the tartness of this cranberry simple syrup, I chose 7UP to add sweetness to this cranberry rum cocktail recipe. I know you can find 7UP anywhere, but my go-to grocery store is our local Safeway.
The flavor of 7UP works well in so many cocktail recipes. Try pairing 7UP with liquors like:
Are you ready to see how easy this sparkling cranberry rum and 7UP cocktail is to make?
- Add fresh cranberries, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, 7UP, and water to a pot.
- Cook on medium heat until the cranberries pop. (You will actually hear them pop, it is really fun!)
- Use a spoon to mash the cranberries up against the side of the pot.
- Allow the cranberry mixture to simmer for another 15 minutes. The sauce will be thick with the cranberry chunks.
Use a mesh strainer to strain out the cranberry pulp. I kept a container underneath so I could capture all of the delicious syrup. You should end up with a bowl of syrup and a bowl of cranberry pulp.
This cranberry pulp is delicious used in recipes like gluten-free cranberry muffins...or you can make a chutney out of it and serve it with chicken or pork!
Add the cranberry simple syrup into a glass. For a cocktail, add rum and 7UP. For a mocktail just skip the rum.
We had fun making this sparkling cranberry cocktail in different glasses so we could decide which made the drink look the fanciest for entertaining. What do you think?
How to make a cranberry rum cocktail:
Cranberry Rum Cocktail Recipe
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup 7UP®
- 2 cups water
- 3 ounces rum per drink
- In a pot, add all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use a spoon so smoosh cranberries into the side of the pan.
- Remove from the heat.
- Use a ladle to spoon some of the mixture into a mesh strainer. Use a spoon to press the mixture down, which forces the juice out of the mixture. Do this until the mixture is firm and has little moisture.
- Allow the syrup to cool.
- Add 3 ounces rum to a glass. Pour ¼ cup syrup into the glass. Top off with 7UP®.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)