This easy tuna vermicelli salad with tuna is a delicious kid-friendly meal that is perfect in a lunch box. I love that this noodle salad uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
If you love easy noodle recipes as much as we do, you will want to try this delicious kid-approved Stir Fry Gluten Free Beef and Broccoli recipe too!
This easy recipe pleases both kids and grownups! You can take it in a lunchbox, or make a lunch or dinner out of it at home. If you are looking for more easy kid-friendly Asian meal ideas, you will want to try this Honey Garlic Shrimp or this homemade Chicken Pho recipe.
This twist on a Vietnamese vermicelli noodle salad is going to become one of your most popular kid-friendly recipes. Kids love noodles and this tuna salad is gluten free, nut-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and egg-free making it safe for children with food allergies.
It took me a long time to come up with an idea that my kids would really like in their lunch boxes. Tuna is a high protein, which is really important so our kids don't crash in the middle of the school day.
I have been using this brand that I found at my Asian market. These mung bean noodles get soft when cooked, but not mushy like some rice noodles can get. You can find a lot of Asian noodles on Amazon as well.
To make this noodle salad is really easy. First, there are so many different types of Asian noodles. It is important to follow the cooking directions for the noodles you have.
After they are done, drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Rinsing your vermicelli noodles in cold water stops the cooking process and helps prevent your noodles from turning to mush.
What Asian noodles are gluten free?
There are many brands and types of Asian noodles. Most are made with rice or starch. I pictured the mung bean starch noodles I used in this recipe. Here are some others to try:
- Gluten free buckwheat noodles
- Rice vermicelli noodles and rice sticks
- Mung bean vermicelli noodles
- Sweet potato starch vermicelli noodles
- Kelp noodles also called miracle noodles, which have a little bit of an odd texture.
What fish sauce brands are gluten free?
There are several fish sauce brands that are gluten free including Squid (pictured above), Red Boat (available at most grocery stores and Trader Joe's, and Thai Kitchen. Always double-check the labels to review the ingredients.
Add grated carrot, greens, cucumber, and purple cabbage to a large bowl.
Can you use different vegetables in this recipe?
Feel free to use any vegetables you have on-hand. Cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, snow peas would all work in this recipe!
Add either a can or two single-serve pouches of tuna packed in water. Mix up the dressing in a bowl. Add the chilled noodles to the bowl and toss everything together.
Is canned tuna gluten free?
Most canned tuna is gluten free. That being said, always check the ingredients just in case. You never know when a brand changes ingredients in a product.
Can you use tuna packed in oil for this recipe?
Although you can use any tuna, I do not recommend tuna packed in oil because it can make this recipe somewhat oily.
Mix in the sauce and noodles for an instant lunch box hit.
More recipes that use pantry staples:
- This Tuna Panini is a delicious hot sandwich full of melty cheese. Uses canned tuna.
- If you need an easy breakfast, it doesn't get any easier than this Apple Crisp Overnight Oats recipe. Uses gluten free oats and chia seeds.
- These no-bake gluten free protein balls are a delicious treat anytime. Uses protein powder, chia seeds, nut butter, flaxseeds, and more.
Vietnamese Tuna Noodle Salad
- 1 5 ounce pouch of Bumble Bee Premium Albacore Tuna in Water you can also use a can
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups greens. I used Trader Joe's Microgreens
- 1 in package vermicelli noodles cooked to instructions on label and cooled with cold water
- 2 tablespoons gluten free fish sauce
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned gluten free rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- In a large bowl, combine the Bumble Bee Premium Albacore Tuna, vegetables, and chilled noodles.
- In a smal bowl, combine all sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the sauce into the large bowl and toss all ingredients to coat.
- Serve with a lime wedge.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free strawberry desserts e-cookbook!)
(This post was updated from an older July 2016 post.)