Have you seen all of the butternut squash in the farmer's market lately? I couldn't resist making using my butternut squash to make an awesome breakfast skillet that is packed with nutrition!
If you love breakfast as much as our family, you will want to check out some of my best gluten free breakfast recipes.
Do you like to make one pan breakfast recipes? I make them once in a while. I love them because clean up is a breeze and all of the flavors mesh together really well while cooking!
My kids go back and forth on whether to eat vegetables for breakfast. I am trying to get a healthy breakfast into them before they run off to school, it is so important!"
This week I got two butternut squash in my farm box and I thought they may be sweet enough to pass my kids' strict anti-veggie rule. Do you ever have to hide veggies?
One nice thing about our farm box is that we can choose to add organic free-range eggs to our weekly delivery. Eggs are a great source of protein, and my kids like them so it is really important that the eggs I use are organic and free-range. (Happy chickens = better eggs, right?)
- Butternut squash
- Hash browns
- Yellow or red pepper
- Green onion
- Olive oil
- Mexican cheese blend
In a large skillet, cook the vegetables along with the hashbrowns in olive oil until they are soft.
Can you use frozen hashbrowns?
I almost always use frozen hashbrowns in my breakfast skillet recipes. They are easier to use because you don't have to grate fresh potatoes!
When the vegetables are almost all the way cooked, add the eggs on top of the cooked vegetables and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Next put the breakfast skillet into the oven (or toaster oven) and set to broil. You will want to broil this until the eggs are almost cooked.
Remove the eggs and vegetables from the oven and add grated cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted.
Can you make this dairy-free?
You can easily make this recipe dairy-free by using dairy-free cheese or omit the cheese for a paleo breakfast!
Serve hot while the cheese is still gooey! Butternut squash breakfast skillet is kid-approved!
The verdict was that my husband and I loved this dish. The sweetness of the butternut squash really shined through with the thyme, making it delicious. I couldn't believe that my kids liked this breakfast recipe.
I have to think it is because of the sweetness of the butternut squash. I suspect this recipe will also work really well with other sweet vegetables too!
🥗 Vegetables to use:
- Sweet potato
More Breakfast Skillet Ideas:
- A cast-iron skillet. Not only is this easier because it can go from the stove to the oven, but clean up is really easy!
- This food chopper can help chop up your vegetables quickly.
Butternut Squash Breakfast Skillet
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 2 cups hash browns I used Trader Joe's
- 1/2 cup yellow or red pepper diced
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Preheat a 10 inch cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium heat.
- Add butternut squash and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add green onions and hash browns.
- Add last tablespoon of olive oil to pan.
- Stir vegetables as they cook.
- Cook for 8 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Preheat broiler.
- Crack eggs and put on top of the vegetables.
- Put skillet into the oven and broil for 5 minutes.
- Remove and add cheese.
- Put back in the oven and broil for another 5-8 minutes.
- Serve warm.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)