Have you seen all of the butternut squash in the farmer’s market lately? I couldn’t resist making using my butternut squash to make an awesome breakfast skillet that is packed with nutrition!
Easy Skillet Breakfast
Do you like to make one pan breakfast recipes? I make them once in a while. I love them because clean up is a breeze!
My kids go back and forth on whether to eat vegetables for breakfast. I am trying to get a healthy breakfast into them before they run off to school, it is so important!
This week I got two butternut squash in my farm box and I thought they may be sweet enough to pass my kids’ strict anti-veggie rule. Do you ever have to hide veggies?
One nice thing about our farm box is that we can choose to add organic free-range eggs to our weekly delivery. Eggs are a great source of protein, and my kids like them so it is really important that the eggs I use are organic and free-range. (Happy chickens = better eggs, right?)
In a large skillet, cook the vegetables in olive oil until they are soft.
Add the eggs on top of the cooked vegetables and cook for 5 minutes.
Next put the breakfast skillet into the oven to broil. You will want to broil this until the eggs are almost cooked.
Remove the eggs and vegetables from the oven and add grated cheese. Broil another 5 minutes until the cheese is melted
Serve hot while the cheese is still gooey!
Butternut Squash Breakfast Skillet is kid-approved:
The verdict was that my husband and I loved this dish. The sweetness of the butternut squash really shined through with the thyme, making it delicious. I couldn’t believe that my kids liked this breakfast recipe.
I have to think it is because of the sweetness of the butternut squash. I suspect this recipe will also work really well with other sweet vegetables too!
Vegetable Ideas to Try in This Recipe:
- Sweet potato
More Breakfast Skillet Ideas:
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- A cast iron skillet. Not only is this easier because it can go from the stove to the oven, but clean up is really easy!
- This food chopper can help chop up your vegetables quickly.
How to make a cast iron skillet breakfast:
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 2 cups hash browns, I used Trader Joe's
- 1/2 cup yellow or red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Preheat a 10 inch cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium heat.
- Add butternut squash and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add green onions and hash browns.
- Add last tablespoon of olive oil to pan.
- Stir vegetables as they cook.
- Cook for 8 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Preheat broiler.
- Crack eggs and put on top of the vegetables.
- Put skillet into the oven and broil for 5 minutes.
- Remove and add cheese.
- Put back in the oven and broil for another 5-8 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 494 Total Fat: 33g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 24g Cholesterol: 193mg Sodium: 1005mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 3g Protein: 12g
More Yummy Breakfast Recipes to Try!