Are you ready for an easy gluten free breakfast that you can hold in your hand? These delicious gluten free breakfast pockets not only make a perfect hand-held grab and go breakfast, but you can fill these breakfast pockets with your favorite breakfast fillings!!
Do you remember those breakfast pockets from years ago? They were quite easy as far as frozen fast food goes. All you had to do was heat them up and you had a hand-held ready meal. The downside of breakfast pockets was all of the chemical ingredients that were impossible to pronounce, and worse for your body.
We didn't know any better when we were growing up. We lived with my mother and she worked full time. Easy was the name of the game when it came to eating meals in our house.
Luckily for us, I have created an easy way to make a healthier gluten free version of these breakfast pockets that can make busy mornings so much better! All you need is a delicious loaf of gluten free bread.
If you have been gluten free for a long time, or even just a short time, chances are you have tried gluten free bread. I bet you didn't know that you can get creative with these gluten free breads :-).
Grab a loaf of gluten free bread because we are going to make Homemade Egg Breakfast Pockets! I chose to use their Multigrain bread, but you can also use their soft white or millet-chia flavors too!
You can include any of your favorite breakfast foods in one of these hand-held breakfast sandwiches. Here are some of my family's favorite ingredients:
- Salsa (everyone except my "picky eater" likes salsa)
You can also make these pockets for lunch or dinner. Try adding lunch meats, pizza ingredients, etc...they are almost like little Calzones!
The first step is to remove the crusts from the gluten free bread.
You may ask why I cut the crust off the bread slices. In order to pinch the sides of the bread from the top and bottom halves together, you will need to cut off the crust.
*TIP - Don't throw away the gluten free bread crusts!! You can use them to make this delicious Gluten Free Bread Pudding. I keep a bag of "crusts" and ends in my freezer. When the bag fills up, you can make bread pudding or even these Gluten Free French Toast Muffins with them!!
Arrange the bread on a baking pan. (Spray olive oil on the pan to prevent sticking!) The next step is to take the palm of your hand and gently press down the bread. It will help the bread stick together better.
Next, add your favorite cheese! Some delicious cheeses to use for this breakfast sandwich include:
- Mexican shredded cheese
Now is the fun part! Top your bread with eggs and your favorite toppings. I used hard-boiled eggs and sliced them up. Next, we added salsa and fresh cilantro. You can also use scrambled eggs.
Cover the toppings with another slice of bread and use a fork to press the edges together carefully. Bake at 350F degrees for 15 minutes in a toaster oven.
These breakfast pockets are crispy on the outside and hold up beautifully! Are you ready to make these for yourself?
Easy Gluten Free Breakfast Pockets
- 8 slices of gluten free bread
- 4 eggs boiled or scrambled
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- ¼ cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- On a cutting board, lay out the slices of bread and remove the crust with a knife. Use your palm to gently press down the bread. You don't have to press too hard, just a little.
- Add the "bottom" 4 bread slices to a baking sheet.
- Set four slices aside to be the tops for the breakfast pockets.
- On the bottom halves, add cheese, salsa, egg, and cilantro. Feel free to customize these further with your favorite breakfast ingredients.
- Place the top half bread slice on top of the bottom half. Use a fork to press down the edges of the bread to seal all the way around the bread.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350F degrees for 10 minutes. I used my toaster oven, but feel free to use your regular oven as well.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)