Kale Salad with Apples is a kid-friendly healthy salad recipe! Crunchy sweet apples balance out the harsh flavor of the kale. Tossed with a sweet vinaigrette, this Gluten Free Kale Salad with Apples is simply delicious!
If you love salad with dinner as much as we do, check out all of my delicious gluten free salad recipes.
This is an amazing kale salad.
Yup, I said that...my family originally thought I was crazy! Honestly, I owe this all of this kale love to Chef Lopez at California Cafe in Los Gatos, CA. (Sadly, California Cafe closed a couple of months ago. This was a wonderful place to dine when you are eating gluten free.)
This is the first kale salad that my family will eat. My kids went nuts over this salad, and they HATE kale!! I think it's because the apples add a bit of sweetness to balance out the slight bitterness of the kale.
You can enjoy this salad as a side dish, or toss in some grilled shrimp or chicken for a delicious light meal. If you love recipes with fruit, you will love this collection of gluten free recipes for Tu Bishvat.
This easy kale salad recipe has romaine lettuce, kale, apples, and raisins...feel free to add other fruits, the dressing really works with the different flavors.
(*If you love apples as much as I do, try out some of my favorite gluten free apple recipes!)
How to use kale
I love how healthy kale is, but my kids HATE when I cook it. Using raw kale in recipes can be challenging, but there are MANY ways to use kale beyond a healthy salad.
- Make a batch of fresh kale pesto
- Incorporate some raw kale into a healthy smoothie
- Toss a handful of kale into your favorite soup or stew recipe.
- Season the kale with your favorite spices and create oven-baked kale chips
- Place several leaves of raw kale under a cooked fish filet for a pretty and delicious presentation
In addition to finding a recipe to make with lactino kale (Tuscan kale), it helps if you know how to prepare kale properly.
What is kale massage?
One tip I must share from Chef Lopez is to massage your kale. It softens the kale leaves and I know this sounds weird, but it reduces the bitterness a bit as well.
Another great tip to making kale taste good is to make sure you remove the vein that goes down the middle of the leaves. This is where the bitter flavor comes from, so try to remove as much as you can.
Let me know what you think of this salad recipe. 🙂
Mix up the dressing ingredients.
Pour the dressing into the salad ingredients. Mix and allow to sit for 10 minutes so the flavors can blend together.
More Delicious Salad Recipes To Try:
California Cafe's Gluten Free Kale Salad with Apples
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and massaged
- 2 apples chopped
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- In a small bowl, mix lemon juice, avocado oil, vinegar, dijan, basil, and garlic. Whisk and allow to sit.
- In a large salad bowl, add all salad ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Allow to sit for 10 minutes for flavors to blend.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)
(*Original recipe Oct 2013. Photos edited 8/29/16)