Easy tapioca pudding recipe with caramel! If you love homemade tapioca pudding, then you may enjoy this 5 ingredient easy tapioca pudding recipe. Easy to make, it can be enjoyed warm or cold.
This old-fashioned creamy caramel tapioca pudding with caramel sauce is the best tapioca pudding recipe I’ve ever made!
What is tapioca anyway?
Tapioca pudding is one of the puddings that are true comfort food. I had no idea that tapioca comes from cassava roots. Did you know this? I order Boba tea all of the time and it never occurred to me to ask.
My daughter is the one who inspired me to create this caramel tapioca recipe. She loves tapioca pudding and often asks me to buy it when she comes grocery shopping with me. The ingredients in grocery store tapioca pudding are not great and I know we can make it more healthy here at home.
Steps to Make this homemade tapioca pudding recipe:
My daughter and I opted to buy the small tapioca pearls. The instructions said to soak them in water overnight, so we set this up before bedtime. This is what they look like after the soaking (above). See how puffy they are?
I do not own a double boiler, so I just put water into a large saucepan and then put a smaller one inside. Heat the milk and caramel on low heat until it is warm.
Add the tapioca and allow to very gently boil over medium-low heat. It will thicken quickly. Whisk frequently to avoid it getting stuck on the bottom of the pot.
This homemade tapioca pudding really thickens up after adding the egg yolk and sugar combination.
If you like the homemade tapioca pudding, here are more delicious pudding recipes to Try:
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Tools Needed for The Best Tapioca Pudding Recipe:
- Whisk. This is the best way to keep puddings smooth and creamy when you are making pudding.
- Tapioca beads. Soak these overnight and they will be ready to go into any pudding recipe :-).
How to Make Easy Tapioca Pudding:
- 1/2 cup small tapioca pearls
- 2 1/2 cups milk, I used raw whole milk for this so it would be really creamy.
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup caramel
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- Soak tapioca pearls overnight in a bowl of water.
- Drain pearls.
- In a double broiler, or two different sized sauce pans like I did in the photo above.
- Add milk, caramel, vanilla, and salt to double broiler and heat until warm.
- Add tapioca pearls and heat until and tiny bubbles appear.
- Do not boil.
- In a small bowl, add egg yolks and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Use a soup ladle to scoop up a bit of the hot tapioca mixture.
- Add very slowly to the egg mixture while whisking quickly to blend it.
- Add a little more tapioca mixture and repeat twice more.
- Pour egg mixture into tapioca mixture and whisk quickly to blend it all in.
- Cook on low, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: g
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 238 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 75mg Carbohydrates: 42g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 28g Protein: 5g
I really think this is the best tapioca pudding recipe, but give this Gluten Free Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce a try next!
More Puddings and Mousse Recipes To Try!