This chilled watermelon soup with coconut cream is a wonderful way to keep it cool this summer. Sweet and creamy, your whole family will love this cold soup recipe.
Is your house as hot as mine this summer? I am so not using our oven this week. It is HOT here in the Bay Area and I am on strike against anything that involves cooking inside.
This summer we are making lots of cold soups…they are not only refreshing, but you can get a huge lift from drinking them! If you want to try more cold soup recipes, give this Chilled Pineapple Soup or this Cucumber Gazpacho recipe a try!
How to pick that perfect watermelon
Watermelon is the obvious star of this soup. It is sweet and just bursts with flavor in this chilled soup recipe.
Did you know you can thump a watermelon to see if it is sweet and ripe? Here is what to look for when buying watermelon:
- Thump it. How does it sound? Hollow? Firm? I find a watermelon that seems dense. That means the pulp is firm and sweet.
- Look for that yellow spot on one side. Watermelon is one of the few fruits that you want that yellow spot. It is the watermelon’s field spot, and that means it is good!
- You want your watermelon to feel heavy for its size. If it feels heavier than you expected, that is also a good sign you are picking the best watermelon.
This chilled watermelon soup pleased even my pickiest child…once they got past the idea of soup is cold. Coconut cream and fresh mint give this soup another layer of flavor. This recipe is gluten free, dairy-free, and vegan!
Lime Infused Olive Oil
I drizzled a little lime infused olive oil over the top to add a bit of lime. You can also substitute a 1/4 teaspoon of lime juice in the blender, but it will be a little different in taste.
You may also want to try making your own infused oil, this lime-infused oil recipe is very easy to make!
What soups can be served cold?
You can make any fruit or vegetable into a cold soup…my favorite is using fruits because you can add so many flavors to create layers of flavor around the fruit taste. I would not serve a soup with meat cold.
Things You Need to Make This Recipe:
- 2 1/2-3 cups watermelon
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 15 fresh mint leaves
- lime infused olive oil, for drizzle on top
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 3 tablespoons water
- Put all ingredients into a Vitamix, or other blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve chilled.
You can use a blender or food processor if you do not have a Vitamix.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 24mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 5gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g
For a delicious recipe to go with this soup, try this Grilled Chicken and Watermelon over Baby Kale.