This chilled watermelon soup with coconut cream is a wonderful way to keep it cool this summer. Sweet and creamy, your whole family will love this cold soup recipe.
Is your house as hot as mine this summer? I am not using our oven this week. It is HOT here in the Bay Area, and I am on strike against anything that involves cooking inside.
This summer, we are making lots of cold soups…they are not only refreshing, but you can get a huge lift from drinking them! If you want to try more cold soup recipes, give this Chilled Pineapple Soup or this Cucumber Gazpacho recipe a try!
If you love chilled soups, here are eight more delicious cold soup recipes to try.
How to pick that perfect watermelon
Watermelon is the obvious star of this soup. It is sweet and bursts with flavor in this chilled soup recipe.
Did you know you can thump a watermelon to see if it is sweet and ripe? Here is what to look for when buying watermelon:
- Thump it. How does it sound? Hollow? Firm? I find a watermelon that seems dense. That means the pulp is firm and sweet.
- Look for that yellow spot on one side. Watermelon is one of the few fruits that you want that yellow spot. It is the watermelon’s field spot, which means it is good!
- You want your watermelon to feel heavy for its size. If it feels heavier than you expected, it is also a good sign that you are picking the best watermelon.
Why this soup is great:
I love, love, love this soup! This chilled watermelon soup pleased even my pickiest child…once they got past the idea of soup being cold. Coconut cream and fresh mint give this soup another layer of flavor. This recipe is gluten free, dairy-free, and vegan!
If you prefer hot soups, you will find many delicious gluten-free soup recipes on the blog!
- Watermelon – You definitely want to use seedless watermelon. You can use a traditional pink watermelon or a yellow flesh watermelon.
- Lime-infused oil – I drizzled a little lime-infused olive oil over the top to add a bit of lime. You can also substitute a ¼ teaspoon of lime juice in the blender, but it will be a little different in taste. You may also want to try making your own infused oil; this lime-infused oil recipe is very easy to make!
- Coconut cream – Use canned full-fat coconut milk.
Recipe step-by-step directions:
Step 1: Add all of the ingredients (watermelon, ice, water, coconut cream, and peppermint leaves) to a Vitamix or blender.
Step 2: Turn on high speed until the ingredients are pureed.
Step 3: Serve chilled with lime olive oil garnish.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can make any fruit or vegetable into a cold soup…my favorite is using fruits because you can add so many flavors to create layers of flavor around the fruit taste. I would not serve a soup with meat cold.
You can freeze a chilled soup, but it may thaw out with an odd texture.
A chilled soup will keep fresh for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
More delicious summer recipes:
- Earl Grey No-Churn Ice Cream
- Gluten Free Brownie In a Mug
- Grilled Mahi Mahi In Foil Packets
- Gluten Free No-Bake Chocolate Oat Cookies
Chilled Watermelon Soup with Coconut Cream
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 3 cups watermelon
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 15 fresh mint leaves
- lime infused olive oil for drizzle on top
- ½ cup ice cubes
- 3 tablespoons water
- Put all ingredients into a Vitamix, or other blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve chilled.
- You can use a blender or food processor if you do not have a Vitamix.
- I like to use full-fat coconut cream because it adds creaminess.
- Serve in shot glasses at a party for a fun buffet table presentation.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn’t test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Your go-to haven for gluten-free living, where I share hundreds of delicious, family-friendly recipes, helpful gluten-free resources, and allergen-friendly options for everyone!