This chilled watermelon soup with coconut cream is a wonderful way to keep it cool this summer. Sweet and creamy, your whole family will love this cold soup recipe.
Is your house as hot as mine this summer?
I am so not using our oven this week. It is HOT here in the Bay Area and I am on strike against anything that involves cooking inside. (Here are more delicious chilled soups to try this summer!)
How to pick that perfect watermelon
Watermelon is the obvious star of this soup. It is sweet, and just bursts with flavor in this chilled soup recipe.
Did you know you can thump a watermelon to see if it is sweet and ripe? Here is what to look for when buying watermelon:
- Thump it. How does it sound? Hollow? Firm? I find a watermelon that seems dense. That means the pulp is firm and sweet.
- Look for that yellow spot on one side. Watermelon is one of the few fruits that you want that yellow spot. It is the watermelon’s field spot, and that means it is good!
- You want your watermelon to feel heavy for its size. If it feels heavier than you expected, that is also a good sign you are picking the best watermelon.
This chilled watermelon soup pleased even my pickiest child…once they got past the idea of soup being cold. Coconut cream and fresh mint give this soup another layer of flavor. This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, and vegan!
Lime Infused Olive Oil
I drizzled a little lime infused olive oil over the top to add a bit of lime. You can learn more about infusing olive oils here. You can also substitute a 1/4 teaspoon of lime juice in the blender, but it will be a little different in taste.
Click here to see all of the soup recipes on this blog.
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need to Make This Recipe:
How to make chilled watermelon soup:
- 2 1/2-3 cups watermelon
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 15 fresh mint leaves
- lime infused olive oil, for drizzle on top
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 3 tablespoons water
- Put all ingredients into a Vitamix, or other blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve chilled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 80 Saturated Fat: 4g Sodium: 3mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Protein: 1g
What are your favorite chilled soups?
For a delicious recipe to go with this soup, try this Grilled Chicken and Watermelon over Baby Kale.
More yummy recipes that don’t need an oven!!