If you love chocolate as much as I do, this decadent gluten free mug brownie is cooked in a mug and makes the perfect treat. Ready in just 3 minutes, you can have a homemade moist chocolate brownie anytime!
It is all about the quick chocolate fix here. I love brownies, but I am often lazy when it comes to making them. I have an amazing gluten free brownie recipe on my blog...but often, I am busy creating other recipes.
This is also a great recipe for college students who want a fun treat to make in their dorm room. Mug cakes are easy because all you need is a microwave and a coffee mug! This easy gluten free vanilla mug cake is another great microwave cake recipe!
I love making this recipe when it is too hot to use the oven in the summer. It is nice to enjoy cake without heating up the house!!
Why you need to try this recipe:
- If you are like me and crave chocolate but don't want to bake something, this easy brownie mug cake recipe is for you!
- This microwave brownie is full of rich chocolate flavor, and you can vary it with so many mix-ins.
- This recipe is perfect for those with food allergies. It is not only gluten free but dairy-free and egg-free too!
- It makes one mug brownie, so double the recipe if you think a family member will try to steal some from you :-). This also makes a great Valentine's Day dessert!
This was perfect for dessert tonight with some whipped cream on top. I subbed the water with coffee. It was delicious."Betty B.
If you love quick and easy desserts, you will want to check out all of my Gluten Free Mug Cake Recipes!
This is one of my favorite gluten-free flour blends for cookies, cakes, pie crust, biscuits, and muffins! (Do not use this flour blend for yeast recipes.)
- Gluten free flour blend - I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work. I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add ¼ teaspoon.
- Cocoa powder - There are many great brands of cocoa powder that are gluten free. Just be sure to check the label.
- Chocolate chips - Use any flavor of chocolate chips or even chocolate chunks!
- Coconut oil - I love the flavor coconut oil adds to this gluten free microwave brownie, but you can use any light oil.
Note my DIY Gluten Free Flour Blend also works really well, if not better, in my mug cake recipes! It is an easy gum-free blend.
How to make a gluten free mug brownie:
Are you ready to give this delicious recipe a try?
Step 1: Add the dry ingredients to the mug and mix well. Note that you can mix all of this up in your mug.
I find that the dry ingredients don't get mixed as well, so when you eat the cake, some flour is stuck around the edges. To fix this, I mix the ingredients in a bowl and then add them to my mug.
This is what your dry ingredients will look like mixed up. Add in the chocolate chips.
Step 2: Add the wet ingredients and mix them with the dry ingredients.
Step 3: Put the mug into your microwave and cook for 90 seconds on high. Actual cooking time will depend on the size of your mug, depth, and how wide the base is. You may need to cook it a little longer if you use a tall mug with a more narrow base.
You will know your gluten free mug brownie is slightly firm to the touch.
Top with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, or some of the following mix-ins and toppings ideas.
Fun mix-in ideas:
- Use different flavors of chocolate chips, like white chocolate and salted caramel chocolate chips.
- Add in walnuts or pecans.
- Why not add some M&Ms? It will add some fun color!
- Put a tablespoon of peanut butter in the middle of the cake batter for a gooey peanut butter middle.
If you love mug cakes as much as we do, check out all of my easy gluten free mug cake recipes! I am also a huge fan of this easy Gluten Free Blueberry Mug Muffin recipe.
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
I love to use Rodelle, Anthony's, and Ghirardelli brands of gluten free cocoa powder.
Usually, if your cake turns out gooey, it didn't cook in the microwave enough. Cooking time will vary depending on your mug size and how wide the mug base is.
Your mug cake cook time will vary depending on the size of your mug. The cake will be firm to the touch when it is done cooking.
These mug brownies will keep up to 3 days in an air-tight container or up to 4 months in the freezer.
More gluten free mug cakes:
- Gluten Free Lemon Mug Cake
- Easy Gluten Free Banana Microwave Cake
- Gluten Free Cherry Cobbler Mug Cake
- Mr. Fearless Dining's favorite, Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Mug Cake
Gluten Free Mug Brownie
- 2 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder * see note
- 1 ½ tablespoons gluten free flour blend * see note
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light oil * see note
- 2 ½ tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Add in the wet ingredients and the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Pour into your favorite coffee mug.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds. If the brownie feels firm to the touch, it is ready!
- Top with vanilla ice cream.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF, Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend, and Authentic Foods Multi Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work. I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add ¼ teaspoon.
- There are many gluten free brands of cocoa powder. I like Rodelle, Anthony's, and Ghirardelli brands. Always check the label to make sure the cocoa powder you choose is gluten free!
- This mug brownie will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)
this was such a yummy treat. Instead of water I used leftover cold coffee. Topped with some coconut whipped topping, it was a decadent dessert, and so very easy.
I am so glad you love this mug brownie, thank you!