These juicy Gluten Free Mexican Meatloaf Burgers are flavor-packed moist burgers that will make any burger lover happy!! Crushed tortilla chips make the perfect meatloaf patties!
If you love easy dinner recipes, don't forget to check out all of the delicious gluten free dinner recipes on my site.
Click for Table of Contents:
I am so excited to share my newest recipe with you. You will never say meatloaf is boring again!! This homemade meatloaf burgers recipe is absolutely delicious. It is naturally gluten free!
To add some flavor, I added Mexican seasonings to the meatloaf and topped it with cheese, peppers, and fresh cilantro. Any way you dish it up, this meatloaf with salsa is a family favorite!!
Why this recipe is great:
I am in love with this new idea for burgers because you don't need any expensive fancy gluten free panko or bread crumbs. All you need is corn chips...and they can even be stale!
Kids love smushing the corn chips and it gets them helping in the kitchen. This meatloaf makes enough burgers that you can even freeze some burgers for another time!
Well, let's get started on making this Mexican meatloaf recipe because it is going to change your world. Meatloaf isn't just for dumping on a plate. It is time to take meatloaf up a notch!!
What you need to make these:
- Ground beef - You can also use ground turkey, chicken, lamb, pork, or bison if you prefer
- Tortilla chips - Please check the ingredients to make sure your chips are gluten free. A few companies add flour so it is a good habit to always read the labels.
- Salsa - Use mild or spicy. Buy the brand you like best because most are gluten free.
- Cheddar cheese - Either sharp or mild cheese taste delicious in this recipe.
- Pasilla peppers - also known as padrone peppers, these are very mild. You can use green bell peppers if you want a very mild pepper.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Add crushed corn tortilla chips, sliced leeks (or onions), spices, shredded cheese, and chopped pasilla peppers in a bowl.
Step 2: Add the ground beef and mix well. I find the seasonings blend best when you use your hands to really mix this together.
Step 3: Add the meatloaf mixture to a pan and spread it out. Top with salsa and shredded cheese. Bake at 375º F for 30-40 minutes until the meatloaf is done. Actual bake time will vary depending on the size dish you bake the meatloaf in.
I bake this meatloaf recipe in a big 9x13 casserole dish. This makes it easy to cut up into pieces for these Mexican meatloaf burgers. Mr. Fearless Dining is watching carbs, so he enjoys this Mexican meatloaf burger without a bun.
Step 4: Slice up your meatloaf and add it to a gluten free bun. Top with fresh cilantro, more cheese, and more sliced pasilla peppers.
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
Your meatloaf is done baking when it has an internal temperature of 165º F. Use a digital meat thermometer to measure this temperature.
To freeze the extra meatloaf burgers, cut the cooled meatloaf into burgers. Place into a freezer safe container or bag and freeze.
These burgers will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
- Tortilla chips (fun right?)
- A slice of cheddar cheese
More Gluten Free Dinner Recipes:
- A 9x13 baking dish.
- A non-slip mixing bowl to mix the meat and ingredients in. (I hate when the bowl slides around on the counter!)
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Southwestern Meatloaf Burger
- 2 pounds ground beef * see note
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup pasilla peppers chopped
- 1 cup tortilla chips crushed
- ½ cup salsa
- ⅓ cup leek or onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- ¼ cup pasilla pepper slices
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients (the first 9 ingredients).
- Mix well. Add to a 9x13 baking pan.
- Top with more shredded cheese and bake for 35 minutes or until done. Depending on the size of your dish it may cook slower or faster.
- Assemble as a burger with fresh cilantro and pasilla pepper slices. You can add more salsa on top if you like.
- Feel free to use ground beef, lamb, pork, chicken, or turkey in this meatloaf burgers recipe.
- I like to use gluten free ciabatta buns by Schar. Any gluten free hamburger bun will also work well.
- Pasilla peppers, aka padrone peppers, are very mild. You can also use green bell peppers.
- These burgers will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)