These juicy Gluten Free Taco Meatloaf Burgers are flavor-packed moist burgers that will make any burger lover happy!! Crushed tortilla chips make the perfect meatloaf patties!
I am so excited to share my newest recipe with you. You will never say meatloaf is boring again!! This homemade taco meatloaf recipe is delicious. It is naturally gluten free, and there are dairy-free options!
I added taco seasonings and crispy tortilla chips to the meatloaf and topped it with cheese, peppers, and fresh cilantro to add flavor. Whatever you dish it up, this meatloaf with salsa is a family favorite!!
Why This Recipe Is Great:
- I love this new idea for burgers because you don’t need any expensive fancy gluten free panko or bread crumbs. All you need is corn chips…and they can even be stale!
- You can enjoy this taco meatloaf as a whole or serve it cut on a bun as a burger!
- These taco meatloaf burgers are gluten free with a dairy-free option!
- This recipe is easy to make ahead of time and easy to freeze!
- Ground Beef – You can use ground turkey, chicken, lamb, pork, or bison. I also have used Impossible vegan meat in this recipe.
- Tortilla Chips – Please check the ingredients to ensure your chips are gluten free. A few companies add flour, so always reading the labels is a good habit.
- Egg – Use size large.
- Taco Seasoning – I used Penzey’s brand taco seasoning. Always check the label to ensure the seasoning you use is gluten free.
- Salsa – Use mild or spicy. Buy the brand you like best because most are gluten free.
- Cheddar Cheese – Either sharp or mild shredded cheese tastes delicious in this recipe.
- Onions – (not pictured above) Use yellow onions. You can also use leeks.
- Pasilla Peppers – These peppers are pretty mild.
- Cilantro – Fresh is best.
- Gluten free Hamburger Buns – Use my recipe or store-bought gluten free buns.
- Make it dairy-free by using vegan cheese. My favorite brand is VioLife at Whole Foods and Sprout Market.
- Substitute green bell peppers for the pasilla peppers.
- If you are corn-free, substitute the tortilla chips for crushed gluten free pretzels or potato chips.
Serve these burgers as a fun twist for Cinco de Mayo.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Step 1: Add crushed corn tortilla chips, sliced leeks (or onions), spices, shredded cheese, egg, and chopped pasilla peppers in a
Step 2: Add the ground beef and mix well. I find the seasonings blend best when you use your hands to mix them.
Step 3: Add the meatloaf mixture to a 9×13 casserole dish and mash it down with a fork. Top with salsa and shredded cheese. Bake at 375º F for 30-40 minutes until the meatloaf is done.
The actual bake time will vary depending on the size dish you bake the meatloaf in. Glass dishes need more baking time than metal baking dishes.
Step 4: Slice up your taco meatloaf and add it to a gluten free bun. Top with fresh cilantro, more cheese, and more sliced pasilla peppers. Serve hot.
- Tortilla chips (fun, right?)
- A slice of cheddar cheese
If you love meatloaf, you will want to try this Gluten Free Turkey Meatloaf or this BBQ Ground Turkey Quaker Oats Meatloaf (they finally make certified gluten free oats!)
You can make sliders with this taco meatloaf using this Gluten Free Honey Rolls recipe or burgers with my Gluten Free Hamburger Buns. If you like creative burgers, you will also want to try this Brisket Burger recipe.
Your meatloaf is done baking when it has an internal temperature of 165º F. Use a digital meat thermometer to measure this temperature.
To freeze the extra meatloaf, cut the cooled meatloaf into burger-sized squares. Place into a freezer-safe container or bag and freeze.
These burgers will keep fresh for up to 4 days in an air-tight container or up to 4 months in the freezer.
More Gluten Free Dinner Recipes:
Southwestern Meatloaf Burger
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 2 pounds ground beef * see note
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup pasilla peppers chopped
- 1 cup tortilla chips crushed
- ½ cup salsa
- ⅓ cup leek or onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning see note.
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- ¼ cup pasilla pepper slices
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients (the first 9 ingredients).
- Mix well. Add to a 9×13 baking pan.
- Top with more shredded cheese and bake for 35 minutes or until done. Depending on the size of your dish it may cook slower or faster.
- Assemble as a burger with fresh cilantro and pasilla pepper slices. You can add more salsa on top if you like.
- Use ground beef, lamb, pork, chicken, or turkey in this meatloaf burger recipe.
- Be sure to check the label of your taco seasoning to ensure it is gluten free.
- I like to use gluten free ciabatta buns by Schar. Any gluten free hamburger bun will also work well. You can also make my homemade Gluten Free Hamburger Buns recipe.
- Pasilla peppers, aka padrone peppers, are very mild. You can also use green bell peppers.
- These burgers will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn’t test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
This post was updated from an old May 2018 post with more recipe details.
Your go-to haven for gluten-free living, where I share hundreds of delicious, family-friendly recipes, helpful gluten-free resources, and allergen-friendly options for everyone!