If you are trying to cut back on fats, why not try these delicious gluten free chicken burgers? These ground chicken burgers are packed with flavor! Topped with caramelized onions and hatch green chiles, this chicken burger has an optional spicy.
(*This post was sponsored by CK Mondavi and Family. All delicious opinions and pairing ideas are my own.)
I am excited to bring you another delicious pairing with CK Mondavi and Family wines!! CK Mondavi makes delicious wines, and I am excited to tell you about their limited-quantity seasonal series. If you love a sweeter wine, wait until you try their Sunset Sweet Red Blend and Moscato.
If you want to learn how to fire-roast your hatch chiles, you will love this easy tutorial on how to fire-roast hatch chiles. You will want to fire-roast your chiles before adding them to the caramelized onions!
Need some easy gluten free dinner recipes? I have some absolutely easy, delicious gluten free chicken recipes on the blog that your whole family will love.
Why this recipe is great:
These gluten free ground chicken burgers are moist, delicious, and easy to make. You can top them with anything from lettuce and tomato to the fancy caramelized onions and hatch chiles I use.
This way, everyone in the family gets a burger how they like it! You can use my homemade Gluten Free Hamburger Buns recipe!
- Ground chicken - I love ground chicken because it is low-fat. You can also use ground turkey or higher-fat meats like beef or pork.
- Gluten free panko - Gluten free bread crumbs also work well, and they are easy to make.
- Onion - I prefer to use yellow onions or sweet Hawaiian onions.
Are you ready to grill some burgers?
Recipe step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: Slice your onions thinly. Heat a pan on the stove on medium heat. Add avocado oil and onions. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes, occasionally stirring until the onions turn golden brown and are caramelized and sweet.
(*Note that onions shrink as they caramelize so you need to use more onion than you may think.
Step 2: Add the roasted hatch chiles and simmer 5 minutes. (*Because hatch chiles can be very spicy, I dice mine into small pieces.)
Step 3: In a bowl, add your ground chicken, an egg, panko, and spices. Mix well. Preheat your grill to 375º F.
Step 4: Shape the burgers into patties.
Step 5: Place on the grill and cook until the burgers have an internal temperature of 165º F. Remove from the heat and top with the caramelized onions and hatch green chiles.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
Unfortunately, panko is not gluten free. The good news is a few companies make gluten-free panko, like Ians and Schar. You can also make your own homemade gluten free bread crumbs and panko!
We are huge burger fanatics! We typically grill our burgers on the grill; it means a lot less cleanup! You can also cook burgers by baking them in the oven or cooking them stovetop. You can even get a small kitchen grill to cook your burgers.
I keep chicken burgers moist by adding egg and bread crumbs. This helps hold moisture in the burger better.
It is easy to turn down the heat on these ground chicken burgers by using mild roasted green chiles instead of roasted hatch green chiles.
If you want even more spice, top these burgers with some of this hot pepper sauce.
There are lots of side dishes that are delicious with burgers. Try one of these popular gluten free side-dish recipes:
Moist Gluten Free Ground Chicken Burgers
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 pound ground chicken * see note
- ¼ cup gluten free bread crumbs * see note
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoons chives
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons fire-roasted hatch chiles or green chiles
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Add avocado oil to a skillet and heat on medium heat.
- Put the sliced onion in the skillet and turn heat down to medium-low. Cook the onion for 10-15 minutes on low heat until the onions brown and caramelize.
- Add the hatch chiles and cook 3 more minutes.
- In a bowl, add the chicken burger ingredients. Mix well.
- Form into patties and grill for 10 minutes until the ground chicken burgers have an internal temperature of 165º F.
- Remove from the grill and top with the caramelized onions and hatch chiles.
- If you don't have ground chicken, you can substitute ground turkey, beef, or pork.
- Hatch chiles can be spicy so make sure to go lightly if you don't want a lot of spice.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Simplifying the art of baking and cooking gluten-free recipes.