It is still cold here and we have been enjoying a lot of hot soup! This simple Mexican Chicken Soup recipe is a comforting bowl of shredded chicken, fresh cilantro, green chilis, scallions, and kidney beans.
Stir in some sour cream and garnish with jalapeños for a creamy spiciness. Don't forget to check out all of the homemade chicken soup recipes on the blog, you are sure to find a favorite!
Click for Table of Contents:
Mr. Fearless Dining loves when I make big pots of soup. The more vegetables, the better. This soup lasts a few days, and it pretty much guarantees we eat a healthy, low-calorie lunch. We call this our workday soup.
We both work from home and it is so easy to snack on foods all day, leaving us full when it is dinner time. Having a ready-made healthy lunch makes it so easy...not to mention it helps cut down on food waste because you can toss any veggies into this soup.
If you love soup as much as we do, you will want to try all of my mouthwatering gluten free soup recipes!
Why this recipe is worth making:
This soup is not only full of delicious Mexican flavors, but this Mexican chicken soup is so easy to make either stovetop or in your Instant Pot! Either way you can enjoy this soup in under 30 minutes stovetop or under 20 minutes in an Instant Pot.
You can control the spice, and the vegetables you add. This comes in handy when you have kids!
- Chicken - I use breasts but you can use any boneless cut of chicken to make this soup recipe.
- Green chiles - I used canned, but you can also fire-roast your own. I have easy instructions on how to roast hatch chiles you can use.
- Diced tomatoes - I prefer to use unsalted canned, but you can also make diced tomatoes from scratch.
- Chicken broth - Low sodium or regular is fine. You will just need to use less salt if you use the regular chicken broth.
Veggies to add:
- Sweet potatoes
- Kale (though my kids won't eat this soup if I add kale LOL)
Recipe step by step directions:
Are you ready to try this Mexican-style chicken soup recipe for yourself? This is what I call a dump-style soup. Easy with just a few steps that all come together in just one soup pot!
Step 1: brown the onions, add the vegetables, and cook for about 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add the broth, seasoning, and dump in the raw chicken breasts.
Step 3: Allow the soup to boil for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to medium-low for 15 additional minutes until the chicken breasts are cooked.
Step 4: Remove the whole cooked chicken breasts from the soup and place them onto a cutting board. Use two forks or a meat shredder (see link below) to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Step 5: Add the chicken back to the soup and allow to cook for 5 minutes so the flavor cooks into the shredded chicken.
Serve the soup hot with sour cream, shredded cheese, and/or even crushed corn tortillas to garnish.
If you love Mexican inspired flavors, you will also want to try my Beef Stuffed Peppers recipe!
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
Remove the whole cooked chicken breasts from the soup and place them onto a cutting board. Use two forks or a meat shredder (see link below) to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
I love to freeze soup in single-serving cubes. I use Souper Cubes to do this easily.
This soup will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
This recipe is so easy to make in the Instant Pot. Follow the same directions as in my Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup recipe.
Serve this soup with my Gluten Free Breadsticks or tortilla chips!
More Mexican Inspired Recipes:
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Easy Mexican Style Chicken Soup
- 2 chicken breasts (raw)
- 14 ounces can diced tomatoes * see note
- 32 ounces chicken broth * see note
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can green chilis * see note
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup corn
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups water
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup scallions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 14 ounces kidney beans rinsed and drained
- In a pot on medium heat, add oil, onion, scallions, and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes until onion turns clear.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including raw chicken. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Boil the soup for 15 minutes, then turn the temperature to simmer. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the soup onto a cutting board. Shred both chicken breasts and add back to the soup. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve hot. Garnish with sour cream and Jalapeños.
- You can use canned green chiles or fire roast your green chiles at home.
- I used chicken breasts but you can use any bones chicken parts to make this soup.
- I recommend using low sodium chicken broth.
- This soup will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)