It is still cold here and we have been enjoying a lot of hot soup! This simple Mexican Style Chicken Soup recipe is a comforting bowl of shredded chicken, fresh cilantro, green chilis, scallions, and kidney beans.
Stir in some sour cream and garnish with jalapeños for a creamy spiciness. Don't forget to check out all of the homemade chicken soup recipes on the blog, you are sure to find a favorite!
Click for Table of Contents:
Mr. Fearless Dining loves when I make big pots of soup. The more vegetables, the better. This soup lasts a few days, and it pretty much guarantees we eat a healthy, low-calorie lunch. We call this our workday soup.
We both work from home and it is so easy to snack on foods all day, leaving us full when it is dinner time. Having a ready-made healthy lunch makes it so easy...not to mention it helps cut down on food waste because you can toss any veggies into this soup. If you love soup as much as we do, you will want to try all of my mouthwatering gluten free soup recipes!
Veggies to add:
- Sweet potatoes
- Kale (though my kids won't eat this soup if I add kale LOL)
More Delicious Mexican Inspired Recipes:
This is what I call a dump style soup. Easy, few steps that all come together in just one soup pot! I brown the onions, add the vegetables and cook about 5 minutes. Add the broth, seasoning, and dump in the raw chicken breasts.
How long to cook chicken soup?
Allow the soup to boil for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to medium-low for 15 additional minutes until the chicken breasts are cooked.
How to shred the cooked chicken:
Remove the whole cooked chicken breasts from the soup and place them onto a cutting board. Use two forks or a meat shredder (see link below) to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Add the chicken back to the soup and allow to cook for 5 minutes so the flavor cooks into the shredded chicken.
Serve the soup hot with sour cream, shredded cheese, and/or even crushed corn tortillas to garnish.
Are you ready to try this Mexican style chicken soup recipe for yourself?
If you love chicken as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious Gluten Free Chicken Recipes.
- Chicken shredders, these are a little easier to use than two forks.
- A great soup pot that holds lots of soup!
- 2 chicken breasts, (raw)
- 14 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can green chilis
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 14 ounces kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a pot on medium heat, add oil, onion, scallions, and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes until onion turns clear.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including raw chicken. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Boil the soup for 15 minutes, then turn the temperature to simmer. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the soup onto a cutting board. Shred both chicken breasts and add back to the soup. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve hot. Garnish with sour cream and Jalapeños.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 1122mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 21g
Please note this nutrition information is calculated by a recipe plugin and is an estimate based on the ingredients used in this recipe.