If you love to coat your desserts in gooey sauces, this Bourbon Butterscotch Sauce is just for you. We love to make homemade sauces, and this butterscotch sauce is so versatile.
This creamy sauce can get addictive, especially on some of these homemade gluten free ice creams!
This sweet gooey, thick and creamy bourbon butterscotch sauce is the only topping you will need for ice cream, brownies, cakes, pies....and anything else you can think to top. I am even brainstorming a fun cocktail recipe with this butterscotch syrup sauce.
You are going to love the simplicity of this bourbon butterscotch sauce recipe because this butterscotch sauce has only 5 ingredients and is ready in under 10 minutes.
Why this recipe is worth making:
This thick and creamy butterscotch sauce is good enough to eat by the spoonful!
The possibilities are endless for this delicious bourbon butterscotch sauce. And a bonus, making it with coconut milk and dairy-free butter makes it dairy-free too! Butterscotch sauce is my newest sweet addiction!
What you need to make this:
Butterscotch sounds like it should be complicated, right? You won't believe how easy it is to make for yourself. All you need is:
- Butter - Use vegan butter if you need dairy-free.
- Brown sugar - You can use light or dark brown sugar.
- Pure vanilla extract - I don't recommend imitation vanilla.
- Coconut milk - I recommend full-fat canned coconut milk.
- Bourbon - This is totally optional but adds an awesome flavor to the sauce!
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Yup, just dump them in! Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.
Step 2: Whisk frequently as the butterscotch sauce simmers for 5-10 minutes until the mixture thickens.
Butterscotch and caramel have a very similar cooking process. One of the main differences, besides the scotch or bourbon, is the sugar. Caramel is made with white sugar. This easy butterscotch sauce is made with brown sugar, giving it a deep rich taste.
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
Make sure you whisk the butterscotch sauce frequently and cook on low heat. That is it...and it is so easy!
The butterscotch flavor comes from scotch or bourbon. As this recipe cooks, the alcohol cooks out so don't worry about alcohol content, this recipe is considered non-alcoholic.
This sauce will keep up to 7 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Use this sauce on:
- Gluten Free Blond Brownies with Peanut Butter Chips One of my all-time favorite recipes!
- Tapioca Pudding the creaminess of the tapioca pudding and the butterscotch work so well together. It is a party in your mouth!
- Gluten Free Chocolate Brownies who doesn't love a crazy moist and chocolaty brownie?
- Gluten Free Bread Pudding This is our favorite way to use up the crusts from gluten free bread!
- You need a good whisk to keep this sauce smooth and lump-free!
- Thick and creamy canned full fat coconut milk. You don't want the stuff you see in the refrigerated section!
5 Ingredient Bourbon Butterscotch Sauce
- ½ stick of butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- Combine all ingredients into a saucepan.
- Bring to boil on medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low when it starts to boil.
- Cook 5 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Allow to cool.
- Use vegan butter to make this creamy bourbon butterscotch sauce dairy-free.
- Pour this sauce over bread pudding, ice cream, pie, and rice pudding.
- This sauce will keep up to 7 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free holiday cookies baking tips!)