This fruity gluten free strawberry lemon bakewell tart recipe is a fun British cake that can feed a crowd. Filled with fresh strawberries and topped with almond slivers, this is a delicious classic cake.
Light and fluffy, you will love how this gluten free bakewell tart just melts in your mouth.
What is a Bakewell Tart?
If you have been to England, you may recognize a bakewell tart. They are a cross between a tart and a cake. You have a gluten free flaky pie crust bottom, with fresh fruit and a light cake-like top layer covered in slivered almonds.
I hope you love this gluten free strawberry lemon bakewell tart recipe as much as my family did.
I was really lucky to meet a food blogger friend, April, from the U.K. The story is actually quite funny how we met. We were friends in a food blogger facebook group. One day I saw a picture she posted on facebook of her laptop, her feet, and a swimming pool. I recognized exactly where she was visiting… the pool in Santana Row.
I sent an instant message and we were able to meet up for coffee the next day. That was two years ago. We have been lucky enough to get together several times now and we have become close friends. When April was here last week, we decided to get in the kitchen together and make a recipe from each of our blogs.
April has several readers who want to learn more about gluten free baking, and I taught her how to make these gluten free blackberry apple scones. April said American scones are very different from British scones. My scone recipe was definitely lighter than a dense scone she talked about.
This bakewell tart “cake” is big and feeds a crowd! I will say there is a lot of butter in this tart, almost like a butter tart. The upside is how this bakewell tart just melts in your mouth. Add in a bunch of lemon curd in this tart recipe, and you have a family favorite dessert.
What fruits can you use in a bakewell tart?
It’s absolutely delicious! Even better? You can use any fresh fruit to make this gluten free tart. This cake is modeled after April’s Blackberry Apple Bakewell Tart recipe.
How To Make A Gluten Free Bakewell Tart:
Add the wet ingredients to the dry cake ingredients. Mix well.
Mix the gluten free tart crust and press into a pan. Next spread lemon curd onto the crust. (I used Trader Joe’s Lemon Curd for this.)
Add your fruit layer. These fresh strawberries are giant sized. Can you believe how much space each slice takes up in this 9×13 pan?
Top with cake batter and slivered almonds. Bake and enjoy!
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- A non-stick 9×13 baking dish.
- This gluten free flour blend, or this one by http://amzn.to/2dEZVg3Pamela’s works very well.
- Almond flour that is finely ground adds protein and moistness to this cake.
- This gluten free tart crust recipe is easy to make, or you can buy a gluten free crust mix.
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon curd
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the gluten free crust (link above for the recipe).
- Spread the crust into a 9x13 baking dish and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spread lemon curd onto the crust. Add the fruit layer on top of the lemon curd.
- In a large bowl, add the first 4 ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a smaller bowl, add the next 5 ingredients from lemon juice up to sugar. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the cake batter onto the fruit layer and spread out. Sprinkle the slivered almonds on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is slightly golden like in the pictures.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 361 Saturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 95mg Sodium: 208mg Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 23g Protein: 6g
More Yummy Gluten Free Cake Recipes To Try!