If you are looking to use your air fryer to heat waffle fries, this easy tutorial will show you how to cook frozen waffles in the air fryer. I test out two types of air fryers so you know which will make the crispiest fries! It is all about that crispy crunch!
If you love fries, I have a treat for you today. Learn how to cook frozen waffle fries in your air fryer in just minutes! They make a great side dish in a lot less time than baking them in the oven!
Why This Shortcut is Great For Crispy Fries:
- You get that delicious deep-fried flavor with fewer calories.
- You use less oil because you are not deep frying the waffle fries.
- Frozen waffle fries cook really fast in an air fryer compared to oven baking time.
- They make the perfect snack or side dish!
If you are trying to decide on what air fryer to get, I have a great list of the best air fryers for gluten free. I include a great pros and cons list for each model.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
Step 1: The first step to getting crispy waffle fries is to preheat your air fryer. Putting the fries into hot air will help them crisp up quicker so they don't get soggy.
Step 2: Open the bag of fries. Place the waffle-cut fries into the basket or tray. Be sure your fries are in a single layer so hot air can circulate the fries easily. You want to add them in an even layer that won't crowd the fries. This is the best way to get crispier fries.
Step 3: If you want extra flavor, sprinkle salt and garlic powder over the fries before cooking them.
Step 4: Close the air fryer and set the power to 375º F and the cooking time to 10 minutes. Note the basket-style model needs 1-2 minutes of additional minutes cooking time.
Step 5: At the end of the cooking time, carefully remove the basket or tray from your air fryer and serve the fries hot. The waffle fries on the tray in the oven style got a lot crispier.
I tested two types of air fryers. A basket-style air fryer, the Ninja Foodi, and an oven-style air fryer by Sur La Table (available at Costco). I found the oven-style and got the fries crispier.
You do not need to use extra oil in the air fryer. Frozen fries are already pre-fried, so they have oil for crisping.
Also, remember to never use cooking spray because it can leave a residue that is hard to clean off. If you want to learn more about what oils are safe for the air fryer, read my Air Fryer Oil Guide.
Store the leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. To reheat the fries, put them in the air fryer at 375º F for 5 minutes.
You can cook any type of French fries, sweet potato fries, potato wedges, or tater tots in an air fryer!
Try this air fry frozen hash brown cubes recipe if you love cooking frozen potatoes.
Serve These Main Dishes With Waffle Fries:
These crispy fries make the best side dish for so many meals! Here are a few of my favorite recipes:
How To Cook Frozen Waffle Fries In The Air Fryer
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 20 ounces waffle fries * see note
- The first step to getting crispy waffle fries is to preheat your air fryer to 375º F. Putting the fries into a hot air will help the fries crisp up quicker so they don't get soggy.
- Open the bag of fries. Place the waffle-cut fries into the air fryer basket or tray. Be sure your fries are in a single layer so hot air can circulate around the fries easily. You want to add them in an even layer, a number of fries that won't crowd the fries. This is the best way to get crispier fries.
- If you want extra flavor, sprinkle a little salt and garlic powder over the fries before cooking them.
- Close the air fryer and set the power to 375º F and the cooking time to 10 minutes. Note the basket-style air fryer needs 1-2 minutes additional minutes cooking time.
- At the end of the cooking time, carefully remove the basket or tray from your air fryer and serve the fries hot. The waffle fries on the tray in the oven-style air fryer got a lot crispier.
- I like Alexia and Ore Ida frozen waffle fries best. I tested Alexia's brand for this post. They do not contain any gluten ingredients,
- You do not have to spray oil on the frozen waffle fries before cooking.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Simplifying the art of baking and cooking gluten-free recipes.