Gluten free chocolate cake with homemade cream cheese frosting would make a delicious gluten free birthday cake. Rich chocolate flavors blend in perfectly with the homemade cream cheese frosting.
Because the gluten free chocolate layer cake is not completely covered with frosting, it's also sometimes called a gluten free naked cake. The gluten free chocolate layer cake recipe can also be used to make gluten free cupcakes or just an anytime dessert. If you love chocolate as much as we do, check out my best Gluten Free Chocolate Dessert recipes.
Click for Table of Contents:
My family is all about chocolate over Valentine's Day. Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and even white chocolates are so hard to resist. This gluten free chocolate layer cake is one of their favorites.
If you lean towards chocolate desserts, this easy gluten free layer cake recipe should go onto your list of cakes to make. (Or, if you prefer, this incredible Gluten Free Vanilla Cake recipe.)
You will find this cake has a rich deep chocolate fudge flavor. I had fun with the frosting layers by making a pink sweet cream cheese frosting. Adding food coloring made it pink for Valentine's Day. Here are even more Gluten Free Valentine's Day recipes!
Feel free to leave the gluten free frosting white for a delicious easy gluten free birthday cake recipe. (You can even add green food coloring for St. Patrick's Day!) The possibilities are endless!
One thing I love about this gluten free chocolate layer cake is how small it is. I have a really hard time ignoring desserts. Just ask my hips! If there is any type of sweet laying around, I will eat it. This little cake serves 4-6 people, so after each family member has a slice, there are NO leftovers! My hips will love that!
Need a quick chocolate cake recipe but you don't want to bake? Try this Gluten Free Chocolate Mug Cake recipe!
This cake is delicious, but I have lots of other yummy gluten free chocolate recipes on the blog that are worthy of trying.
Make these moist Gluten Free Chocolate Brownies and these Gluten Free Chocolate Donuts with Cookie Dough Frosting. or if you prefer something different that isn't chocolate, this super yummy Gluten Free Lemon Layer Cake!
One of the most important things in making this gluten free chocolate layer cake recipe is to use small cake pans. I use this cute set of mini layer cake pans. These cake pans make layer cakes so easy to make. You can choose how many layers to make your cake. I used all 5 layer pans to make my homemade gluten free cake recipe.
Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
This is the batter.
Bake in the small cake pans. (You can also make gluten free chocolate cupcakes with the batter if you don't have a cake pan!)
While the cakes are cooling, mix up the cream cheese frosting.
Frost and build the layers up. Add sprinkles if you like to the top :-). You can also make this Gluten Free Chocolate Cake into Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes as I did.
Can I make this cake dairy-free?
You can easily make this gluten free chocolate cake dairy-free by substituting the cream cheese for a dairy-free cream cheese like the one from Kite Hill. Also, substitute the yogurt for a dairy-free yogurt.
Can I make this cake nut-free?
The only nuts in this recipe are in the almond milk. Substitute soy milk or another non-dairy milk to avoid the almond milk.
How long does this cake need to bake?
The layer pans I used in this cake recipe are very shallow so the cake doesn't need to bake very long. If you are making your cake in a larger pan, you will need to bake it for 20 minutes, then test to see how close it is to being done.
To do this, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes back clean, the cake is ready. If there are crumbs or batter on the toothpick, it will need to bake longer.
What brand of cocoa powder is gluten free?
Most brands are fine to use in this cake recipe. Always double-check the cocoa powder is gluten free. My favorites are Rodelle Cocoa Powder, Anthony's Cocoa Powder, and Ghirardelli Cocoa Powder.
More Delicious Gluten Free Cakes to Try:
- The super cute mini layer cake pans I mention above.
- This gluten free flour blend makes your cake light and delicious.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder, (I used Anthony's)
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking powder + dash of salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or other milk)
- 6 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 teaspoons water
- food coloring for frosting, (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a smaller bowl, add all wet ingredients above the cream cheese. (The ones from cream cheese are for the frosting.)
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spray cake pans with coconut oil. Add batter to each layer pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, checking to see if it is done. (Time cooking really will vary depending on pan size, or if you are making cupcakes.)
- Remove from the oven. Tip the pans so cakes come out onto the cooling rack.
- In a mixer, add frosting ingredients and mix until thick and creamy. (Start on low speed so powdered sugar doesn't fly all over your kitchen!)
- When the cake is cool, frost each layer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: g
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 591Saturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 253mgCarbohydrates: 92gFiber: 3gSugar: 78gProtein: 7g