Do you love delicious moist and chewy brownies? This peanut butter version, called a blondie, is the most incredible dessert! These delicious gluten free blondies are moist and delicious...and they are even better with ice cream.
Just one bite of this chewy peanut butter gluten free blondie recipe, and you will be hooked. If you love brownies as much as I do, I have quite a few delicious gluten free brownie recipes to try.
Have you ever tried a gluten free blondie brownie?
One of my friends was gushing about Applebee's blondies, and I have not been able to get it out of my mind. My sweet tooth was screaming for these blondies, and I knew I HAD to make a gluten free version.
As I dug into creating this copycat recipe, I noticed a common theme. Flour and a ton of sugar. Substituting a gluten free flour for a regular flour was easy, and I added almond flour for some added protein...but this recipe is still sweet like the original.
This gluten free blondie recipe has it all. I hope you love these gluten free blond brownies as much as my family did.
By the time I was finished changing this recipe, my gluten free version was very different from the original. My family will be the first to say that the final result was pretty incredible.
Why this recipe is great:
Options. I made this version healthier than the original Applebee's Blondies because...well let's just say guilt is a big factor. I included almond flour to help balance out the sugar, and I even have a no-refined sugar version with coconut sugar.
This gluten free blond brownie is moist, chewy, and has just the right amount of sweetness. Are you ready to make a batch of these blondies?
What you need to make these:
- Gluten free flour blend - I tested this recipe using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- Butter - To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- Pure vanilla extract - I do not recommend imitation vanilla.
Recipe step by step instructions:
Step 1: Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend.
Step 2: Add the wet ingredients to a bowl and mix well. I like to heat the peanut butter for 15 seconds so it blends in better.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add the chips. In this case, I used peanut butter chips but you can also use chocolate chips!
Step 4: Scoop dough into an 8x8 baking dish and bake at 350º F for 20-25 minutes until done.
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can easily make these dairy-free by using vegan butter.
To make this recipe nut-free, omit the almond flour and substitute an additional ½ cup of gluten free flour blend.
There are gluten free peanut butter chips, in fact, many are gluten free...they just are not certified gluten free. Hershey's said there are no gluten ingredients in their Reeses peanut butter chips. Just to be on the safe side, always read the labels to make sure there is no gluten in your chips.
The best way to know if your blondies are done baking is by sticking a toothpick into the middle of them. If your toothpick comes back clean, your blondies are ready. If there are crumbs or batter on the toothpick, you will need to bake them a bit longer.
These blondies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
You can easily freeze them in a freezer safe ziplock type bag.
A blondie is a brownie without the cocoa powder. It has that same moist delicious almost chewy flavor!
Fun mix-in ideas:
There are so many ways to vary this gluten free blondies recipe. Here are some of my kids' favorites:
- Chocolate or white chocolate chips
- Walnuts or pecans
- Caramel chips
- Heath Bar Crunch pieces
- Butterfinger pieces
More Gluten Free Cookie Bar Recipes:
- Gluten Free Coconut Matcha Cookie Bars
- Gluten Free Caramel Magic Bars
- Gluten Free Banana Bars
- Gluten Free Lime Cookie Bars
Enjoy these gluten free blond brownies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and hot caramel sauce for a special treat!
Gluten Free Blond Brownies with Peanut Butter Chips
- 1 ½ cup gluten free flour blend * see note
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar * see note
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup peanut butter * see note
- 12 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Spray an 8x8 baking tin with coconut oil (or oil of your choice.)
- Blend all dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to blend.
- Blend all wet ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to blend.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, add in chips and blend well.
- Spread onto into pan and bake for 15-20 minutes until done.
- Cut when cool.
- Many ask if peanut butter chips are gluten-free. Hershey's has said there are no gluten ingredients in their Reese's peanut butter chips.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten-free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- Other dairy-free kinds of milk will work but I do not recommend canned coconut milk.
- I highly suggest using almond flour and not almond meal. Almond meal is more coarse and will make your blondies grainy.
- To make this recipe nut-free, omit the almond flour and substitute an additional ½ cup gluten-free flour blend.
- These blondies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)