If you love limes, these super duper gluten free lime bars are going to be your new favorite cookie bar. They are tangy, yet sweet. Perfect for the whole family!
I am feeling a little guilty making sweet treats this week. Mr. Fearless Dining is out of town and I have nobody to share these with…except the kids :-). He really hates missing out on dessert so I will have to hide a few so he can try them when he gets back in town. This week’s recipes will be all about citrus.
Easy gluten free lime bars to be exact.
Orange, lemon, lime…and maybe even grapefruit since our small tree has produced 4 big grapefruits this year.
We have a giant lemon tree in our backyard. Because of this over producing tree, it is rare that I have limes on hand. I mean, why buy limes when I have dozens of lemons ready to pick almost year round?
If you have been reading my blog for awhile, I am sure you have read many of my silly stories of how I try to pawn lemons off on anyone I meet. The lemons get so heavy in our lemon tree that branches will break off from the weight of the lemons if we don’t pick lemons regularly.
Although I used limes in this cookie bar recipe, you can also use lemons to make gluten free lemon bars. (And if you need lemons, you know where you can get a big bag of them for free :-)).
How to make gluten free lime cookie bars:
The crust is so simple to make. Add the dry ingredients and then add melted butter.
Spread it flat in the pan. Here I used a 7×7 pan. I would probably recommend an 8×8 pan so the crust isn’t so thick.
Add the lime and other ingredients and then pour over the crust.
More Delicious Citrus Recipes to Try:
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- Baking pan, this is the perfect size to make these bars.
- Almond flour, this is the key to making the crust amazing.
- For Crust:
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend, (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- For Lime Batter:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime peel
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3 very large eggs, or 4 small
- 1/4 cup condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, add dry ingredients for the crust and mix.
- Add melted butter and mix well.
- Press crust into an 8x8 pan.
- In a medium bowl, add batter ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Pour on top of the crust and bake for 20-25 minutes until done in the middle.
- * Optional: Garnish with more lime peel and powdered sugar
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 236 Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 40mg Sodium: 28mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 24g Protein: 5g
You can also try this delicious recipe for Paleo No-Bake Key Lime Pies from my friend at Texanerin Baking.
And, if you have anoveractivee lemon tree like me, here are two recipes to try:
This delicious Chicken and Watermelon Salad over Baby Kale is a delicious meal to pair with these desserts.