If you love chicken pot pie, this gluten free chicken pot pie is a delicious and satisfying meal.
Don’t let the fact that there is curry in this comforting dish fool you. This is completely kid-friendly, non-spicy pot pie recipe, just ask my picky one!!
This week is all about comfort food.
Those foods that make you feel good.
Foods that bring your whole family together, like this delicious Gluten Free Fried Chicken or this Slow Cooker Pot Roast. Our family is busy during the school week. My kids come home from school and shut themselves in their rooms to do hours of homework. I don’t remember it being like this when I was a kid. Getting everyone together mid-week for a family dinner is tough!
Healthy foods like this easy gluten free chicken pot pie that you can feel good about serving your family.
(*This post was updated with more information and more recipe preparation details from an older 3/2016 post.)
Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie
One dish I have wanted to create was an easy gluten free pot pie recipe. With gluten free baking, it can be so hard to get a flaky crust to top your pie. Even though I finally created the perfect flaky pie crust recipe, I decided to try a drop biscuit style chicken pot pie. For a twist on flavor, I used a mild curry powder for flavoring.
Not only is it easier to get a flaky topping with biscuits, but nobody will steal all of the crust!! (Ahem, Mr. Fearless Dining!)
This curry gluten free chicken pot pie is not spicy. My kids don’t go for spicy so it was important for this dish to have flavor, but to keep it mild enough that they would like it as well.
This dish is really simple, because who has a lot of time to make a big elaborate dinner during the busy school week?
If your family loves comfort food like my family, try this easy Mexican Lasagna recipe (it is ready in just 30 minutes!!)
(*This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Foster Farms® Organic Chicken. All delicious opinions and recipe are my own.)
When Foster Farms asked me to try their organic chicken breasts, I sort of laughed.
I am already a huge customer of theirs. I already use their organic chicken at least twice a week, so it was really easy to say yes.
There is so much to feel good about with Foster Farm’s Organic chicken.
- It is easy to find in the Bay Area, just go to your local Safeway grocery store. (Did you know that Foster Farm’s Organic chickens are raised here in California?)
- Foster Farms Organic chicken is now Non-GMO Project Verified. Verification by the Non-GMO Project ensures the validity of the non-GMO claim.
- Foster Farms is a family-owned company.
- Their chickens are raised free range and are fed organic vegetarian food. Foster Farms is American Humane Certified.
This easy gluten free chicken pot pie recipe is so easy to make for your family. the sauce is creamy, and you can even vary the vegetables you use in this easy gluten free dinner to use what you already have in your refrigerator. I hate food waste!
Vegetable Ideas For This Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie Recipe:
The sky is the limit on what vegetables will work in this gluten free chicken pot pie recipe. Open your refrigerator…what needs to be used?
- Sweet potatoes
- Zucchini or winter squash
Grab a frying pan and heat a little oil over medium heat. Sauté the shiitake, leeks, and carrots in the frying pan.
Stir vegetables in the pan as they cook.
Sauté the vegetables separately before adding this to the chicken. (Again, feel free to use any vegetables you have on hand!)
How to Shred Chicken:
Boil the chicken breasts in a pot with the chicken broth for 15 minutes until cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts and place on a cutting board. Use two forks or a meat shredder to shred the chicken. Add the shredded chicken back to the broth.
Add cream, butter, vegetables, and gluten free flour blend to the pot of chicken and broth and simmer on low. Stir and add the curry powder and turmeric for flavor. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Place the chicken mixture in a casserole dish.
Gluten Free Biscuit Topping:
Use a gluten free biscuit mix or this Paleo Biscuit Recipe to make the biscuits and then used a big cookie scooper to drop the dough onto the chicken mixture. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes until the biscuits are done baking.
Shopping List For This Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie:
- chicken breasts
- low sodium organic chicken broth
- gluten free flour blend
- leeks, carrots, corn, shiitake mushrooms
- heavy cream
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, turmeric, curry powder
- gluten free biscuit mix
Can this chicken pot pie recipe be made dairy free?
You can definitely make this recipe dairy-free by substituting canned coconut milk for the heavy cream and olive oil for the butter. Canned coconut milk goes very well with curry powder and makes the pot pie sauce thick and creamy.
Can this chicken pot pie recipe be made paleo?
If you follow a paleo diet, you can easily make this dish paleo by using the above mentioned canned coconut milk and olive oil. You will also want to use the paleo biscuit recipe.
Can I make this chicken pot pie recipe the more traditional way with a pie crust on top?
You can definitely make this chicken pot pie recipe with a pie crust instead of drop biscuits. Use my gluten free flaky pie crust recipe.
More Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Recipes to Try:
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Tools You Need To Make This Recipe:
- A nice casserole dish.
- A dishwasher-safe cutting board. (This is so much safer after using your cutting board to cut meat.)
How to make a gluten free chicken pot pie
- 2 organic chicken breasts
- 2 cups low sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend, I used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 blend
- 2 tablespoons organic butter
- 1 large organic leek, sliced thinly
- 2 large organic carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup organic corn
- 1/2 cup organic heavy cream
- 1 clove organic garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon organic olive oil
- 8-10 organic shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package gluten free biscuit mix, prepared per package instructions
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add garlic clove and vegetables.
- Saute until cooked, but still firm.
- In a large pot, add water and chicken broth.
- Add raw chicken breasts.
- Bring to a boil and cook until chicken is done.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and with two forks, shred the chicken.
- Add the chicken back in with the broth.
- Add the vegetables, spices, cream, and flour.
- Mix well and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes until sauce is thick.
- Pour chicken mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Add drop biscuit dough on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes until biscuits are done.
- Serve hot, garnish with cilantro.
OXO Good Grips Meat Shredding Claws with Handles
Mandoline Slicer Vegetable Slicer Chopper Dicer - Onion Cutter Chopper Pro - 8 Blades of Squeezer Julienne Slicer Grater -Kitchen Cutter for Multi Veggie, Food, Potato, Tomato, Cucumber, Cheese, Fruit
Authentic Foods Multi Blend Flour - 3 Pounds
There are affiliate links in my posts. This doesn't change the cost you pay for an item, it just means a tiny commission comes to Fearless Dining to help offset the costs of running this blog.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 336 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 69mg Sodium: 998mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 6g Protein: 17g
More Yummy Recipes to Try!!