Taco chicken soup is a delicious taco soup recipe with chicken, black beans, fresh vegetables, and Mexican spices. This gluten free taco soup recipe is kid-approved, too! If you are looking for an easy dinner that is both filling and quick to make, look no further than this naturally gluten free soup recipe!
Sometimes you make a soup and it is an unexpected hit. This shredded chicken taco soup is one of those delicious surprises! You will want to check out all of my homemade chicken soup recipes…you are guaranteed to find your next favorite! And if you love onion soup, this gluten free onion soup is incredible with its caramelized onion flavors!
This taco soup has lots of shredded low-fat chicken breast and vegetables.
This week’s organic farm box had the first green beans of the season. Our family loves green beans, both raw and in soups. There was another great surprise….green garlic!
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup:
This taco soup is so easy to make and I want to apologize in advance for not taking many photos of it cooking. I will list out all of the steps, so you can follow along anyways.
- In a soup pot, add a little avocado oil (or another high heat oil) and heat over medium heat for 1 minute. Add your chopped vegetables like onion, pepper, garlic, and corn.
- Sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, spices, canned and rinsed beans, and raw chicken breasts.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, let it boil for 10 minutes then turn the heat down to medium-low to simmer.
- Cook 20 minutes until the chicken is done.
- Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks or these meat shredders.
What is green garlic?
Have you tried green garlic? It is only available for a short time in the spring, but it has an incredible, mild flavor that is so good in soups and other recipes. I find it most often in the early spring at my local farmer’s market.
Green garlic adds a fresh, yet milder garlic flavor to your cooking. The older the green garlic gets, the stronger the garlic flavor. You can use the whole stock, not just the bulb.
Note: If you can’t find green garlic, that is okay! Just substitute 2 minced cloves of regular garlic.
You won’t typically find green beans in a taco soup with chicken, but I love to use a lot of vegetables when I cook. 🙂
What type of onion is best for soup?
You can use any type of onions for this recipe, I have even used leeks. My favorite, spring onion. is pictured above but I use sweet onions the rest of the year.
What vegetables will you use in this healthy taco soup recipe? If you want to try a delicious Instant Pot soup, give this Chicken Vegetable Soup recipe a try.
This taco soup with chicken is almost always adaptable to the vegetables you have in your refrigerator. Nothing drives me crazier than when veggies go bad in the back of the refrigerator!! If you only have zucchini and onion, use those in your healthy taco soup recipe! I have tons of delicious gluten free soup recipes on the blog!
Can you make this taco soup dairy-free?
This chicken taco soup recipe is naturally dairy-free. For toppings, substitute a dairy-free sour cream, or omit it entirely. This soup is also naturally gluten-free.
Can you make this soup paleo?
You will find this soup is easy to make paleo by omitting the beans and dairy toppings. I recommend adding more vegetables, even potato to help thicken the soup slightly.
If you like the taco chicken soup recipe, you should try these, too:
If you love chicken as much as we do, you will want to check out ALL of my delicious Gluten Free Chicken Recipes.
- 2 large organic chicken breasts
- 1-2 clove bulbs fresh green garlic, sliced thinly (if the bulb is large, just use one. If you can't find green garlic, substitute a mincedof garlic.)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 2-3 zuchinni, chopped (2 if they are large)
- 3-4 carrots, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped, seeds removed (Be careful, the oils can stay on your fingers for awhile)
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, possibly more depending on your taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- green onions, corn tortillas, and grated cheese to top
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add chopped vegetables.
- Saute for 8 minutes.
- Add two raw whole chicken breasts, broth, spices, and water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts.
- Using two forks, shred chicken breasts and then return to the pot.
- Allow to cook 5 minutes.
- Serve with crushed corn tortillas, cheese, and green onions on top.
There are affiliate links in my posts. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 517mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 5g Protein: 19g