Taco soup with chicken is a delicious taco soup recipe with chicken, black beans, fresh vegetables, and Mexican spices. This gluten free taco soup recipe is kid-approved, too! If you are looking for an easy dinner that is both filling and quick to make, look no further than this naturally gluten free soup recipe!
Click for Table of Contents:
My homemade taco soup has lots of shredded low-fat chicken breast and vegetables. It makes a delicious healthy dinner the whole family is going to love!
Sometimes you make a soup and it is an unexpected hit. This shredded chicken taco soup is one of those delicious surprises! You will want to check out all of my homemade gluten free soup recipes...you are guaranteed to find your next favorite! And if you love onion soup, this gluten free onion soup is incredible with its caramelized onion flavors!
Why this gluten free taco soup recipe is great:
One of the things I love best about this soup is the simplicity. Brown your onions, garlic, and veggies for 5 minutes, then all you have to do is dump the rest of the ingredients into the pot. The chicken breasts cook in the broth, and all of the flavors blend beautifully together.
- Chicken breasts - I use chicken breasts for this recipe, you can also use boneless other cuts. You want boneless because it is easier to shred.
- Onions - You can use any type of onions for this recipe, I have even used leeks. My favorites are yellow and spring onions.
- Garlic - I love using green garlic in this recipe. Have you tried green garlic? It is only available for a short time in the spring, but it has an incredible flavor that is so good in this soup recipe. If you can't find green garlic, that is okay! Just substitute 2 minced cloves of regular garlic.
- Vegetables - The sky is the limit! I like to make this soup and use the veggies in the back of the refrigerator that will go to go bad soon. For this recipe and the photos, I used green beans, celery, and carrots. You can also use jarred roasted red peppers!
- Chicken broth - I prefer to use low-sodium, but either will work well.
Recipe step by step directions:
This taco soup is so easy to make and I want to apologize in advance for not taking many photos of it cooking. I will list out all of the steps, so you can follow along anyways.
Step 1: In a soup pot, add a little avocado oil (or another high heat oil) and heat over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the rest of the chopped vegetables like celery, pepper, garlic, and corn. If you only have zucchini and onion, use those in your healthy taco soup recipe!
Sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add the broth, spices, canned and rinsed beans, and raw chicken breasts.
Step 3: Cover and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, let it boil for 10 minutes then turn the heat down to medium-low to simmer.
Step 3: Cook 15 additional minutes until the chicken is done.
Step 4: Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks or these meat shredders.
You won't typically find green beans in a taco soup with chicken, but I love to use a lot of vegetables when I cook. 🙂 What vegetables will you use in this healthy taco soup recipe? If you want to try a delicious Instant Pot soup, give this Chicken Vegetable Soup recipe a try.
Step 5: Garnish your gluten free taco soup with sour cream, cheddar cheese, jalapeño slices, and fresh cilantro.
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
This chicken taco soup recipe is naturally dairy-free. For toppings, substitute a dairy-free sour cream, or omit it entirely. This soup is also naturally gluten-free.
You will find this soup is easy to make paleo by omitting the beans and dairy toppings. I recommend adding more vegetables, even sweet potato to help thicken the soup slightly.
You can easily make this recipe in your slow cooker. Just add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 hours. Shred the chicken as described in this recipe when the soup is ready.
This taco soup will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
More delicious gluten free soup recipes:
- You won't believe the yummy flavors in this Smokey Lentil Vegetable Soup recipe. Inspired by a restaurant we had a date night at.
- Kids love this Country Hamburger Vegetable Soup! It is a great way for them to eat veggies.
- This easy Ground Pork Chili-Mac Soup is hearty and full of flavor.
- Easily the most popular recipe on the blog, my Grandma's Homemade Chicken Soup is the ultimate cold & flu buster.
If you love chicken as much as we do, you will want to check out ALL of my delicious Gluten Free Chicken Recipes.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Shredded Chicken Taco Soup
- 2 large organic chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic * see note
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup green beans chopped
- 2-3 zuchinni chopped (2 if they are large)
- 3-4 carrots diced
- 1 small jalapeno chopped, seeds removed (Be careful, the oils can stay on your fingers for awhile)
- 32 ounces chicken broth low sodium
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt possibly more depending on your taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- green onions corn tortillas, and grated cheese to top
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add chopped vegetables.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add two raw whole chicken breasts, broth, spices, and water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts.
- Using two forks, shred chicken breasts and then return to the pot.
- Allow to cook 5 minutes.
- Serve with crushed corn tortillas, cheese, and green onions on top.
- To make this recipe paleo, omit the beans, cheese, and sour cream garnish.
- I used boneless chicken breasts, but you can also use thighs.
- This recipe is a great recipe for avoiding food waste. Use the vegetables you have on-hand!
- In the spring, look for green garlic. It adds wonderful flavor. Since it has such a short growing season, use regular garlic cloves if you can't find green garlic.
- This gluten free taco soup will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)