Taco chicken soup is an easy taco soup recipe with chicken, black beans, fresh vegetables, and Mexican spices. This gluten free taco soup recipe is kid approved, too!
Sometimes you make a soup and it is an unexpected hit. This shredded chicken taco soup is one of those delicious surprises! You will want to check out all of my homemade chicken soup recipes…you are guaranteed to find your next favorite!
Hearty Taco Chicken Soup
This taco soup has lots of shredded low fat chicken breast and vegetables.
This week’s organic farm box had the first green beans of the season. Our family loves green beans, both raw and in soups. There was another great surprise….green garlic!
Have you tried green garlic? It is only available for a short time in the spring, but it has an incredible, mild flavor that is so good in soups and other recipes.
It is also the tail end of the season for fresh green garlic, one of my favorites. It adds a fresh, yet milder garlic flavor to your cooking. The older the green garlic gets, the stronger the garlic flavor.
You won’t typically find green beans in a taco soup with chicken, but I love to use a lot of vegetables when I cook. 🙂
What vegetables will you use in this healthy taco soup recipe?
This taco soup with chicken is almost always adaptable to the vegetables you have in your refrigerator. Nothing drives me crazier than when veggies go bad in the back of the refrigerator!! If you only have zucchini and onion, use those in your healthy taco soup recipe!
If you like the taco chicken soup recipe, you should try these, too:
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup:
- 2 large organic chicken breasts
- 1-2 clove bulbs fresh green garlic, sliced thinly (if the bulb is large, just use one. If you can't find green garlic, substitute a mincedof garlic.)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 2-3 zuchinni, chopped (2 if they are large)
- 3-4 carrots, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped, seeds removed (Be careful, the oils can stay on your fingers for awhile)
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, possibly more depending on your taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- green onions, corn tortillas, and grated cheese to top
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add chopped vegetables.
- Saute for 8 minutes.
- Add two raw whole chicken breasts, broth, spices, and water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts.
- Using two forks, shred chicken breasts and then return to the pot.
- Allow to cook 5 minutes.
- Serve with crushed corn tortillas, cheese, and green onions on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 210 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 517mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 5g Protein: 19g
9 More Yummy Soup Options!