Are you dreaming of biting into some gluten free oven fried chicken today? Have I got an amazing recipe for you to try and I can’t keep it a secret! This juicy chicken is so flavorful and incredibly simple to make.
The secret to making this crispy oven fried chicken perfectly is soaking them in buttermilk. You won’t believe how delectable every taste of this finger-licking good moist chicken is.
Click for Table of Contents:
Do you feel the struggle of wanting to eat healthily, but also want to indulge in great tasting food that you are accustomed to? I hear you!! At the Fearless Dining home, we are the exact same way.
My family wants to be healthier, but they don’t want to give up comfort food like gluten free fried chicken! Thankfully, I have developed an amazing recipe that allows us to have the best of both worlds.
This recipe is simple to make and you have lots of options to vary this recipe as well!
Take a peek at my guide Gluten Free Pantry Essentials And Equipment Recommendations to help you out along the way. After you get used to eating, cooking, and baking gluten free, you will be an old pro!
Why this recipe is a must make:
Not only is this recipe really easy to make, it is crisp on the outside like fried chicken, but is so much healthier because it is baked. My whole family loves this gluten free oven fried baked fried chicken recipe!!
If you love easy dinner recipe ideas, you will love checking out my best Gluten Free Chicken Recipes. These gluten free dinner recipes make busy weeknights so much easier!
What you need to make this:
- Chicken - This recipe works with both bone-in and boneless chicken parts. I prefer bone-in because they stay juicier.
- Bread crumbs or panko - You can use store-bought, but it is very easy to make your own gluten free bread crumbs!
- Buttermilk - This helps the chicken stay super juicy. If you can't find it, I include a simple recipe to make your own below.
For this recipe, I used the new Trader Joe's Rice Crumbs. Why? Because they make this chicken recipe crispy like fried chicken without all of the fat from frying. If you don't have a Trader Joe's nearby, I list more gluten free breadcrumb ideas that you can use below.
These rice crumbs lock in the juicy flavor of this oven-fried chicken! Rice crumbs are similar in texture to panko. Panko oven fried chicken has the same crispiness as using these rice crumbs.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Soak your raw chicken in buttermilk. If you can't find buttermilk in your store, you can make your own!
How do you make homemade buttermilk?
You can always buy buttermilk at the market, but it’s really EASY to make yourself. All you need to do is mix milk and lemon juice together! Let them sit in a bowl together for 10-15 minutes; then you will end up with buttermilk. How simple is that?
Step 2: Take your chicken pieces out of the buttermilk and dip them into the crumb topping. Place in a baking dish. My roasting pan has a wire rack, which keeps the chicken a little higher so it doesn't get soggy sitting in chicken grease.
Step 3: Spray the chicken with light oil. I used avocado oil in my oil mister. The fine droplets lightly coat the chicken and add to the fried taste and crispiness.
Step 4: Bake your chicken at 350º F for 20-25 minutes. You will know your chicken is baked and ready when it has an internal temperature of 165º F.
NOTE: The actual bake time will vary depending on how large and thick the cuts of chicken you use are, and it depends if you use bone-in or boneless chicken.
Are you ready to make this gluten free oven fried chicken recipe? Want to try your air fryer? You can make this yummy Gluten Free Air Fried Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe too!
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
There are a few choices that work really well with this gluten free buttermilk oven chicken recipe. All of these are great options: gluten free bread crumbs, crushed tortilla chips, and gluten free panko.
Buttermilk plays a vital role in making the chicken super tender and juicy. It would be best if you let it soak for at least one whole hour before baking. If the chicken isn’t completely covered with buttermilk, make sure to flip it halfway through.
There are several ways to know if the oven-fried chicken is done. First of all, check the juices in the chicken. You want them to run clear and not be bloody or brown. Next, the temperature of the chicken. It should be at least 165º F.
You don’t want to cook it until the internal temperature is much higher because it will become somewhat dry. The chicken should be able to come apart easily too. Typically it will be white in the center as well.
This oven-baked fried chicken recipe is incredible because you can use several cuts of chicken. Breasts, thighs, and legs are my go-to choices. Each one is a little bit different, but they all provide an excellent result. You can mix and match whatever combination you like best because they are all good.
More gluten free chicken:
- These Air Fried Chicken Drumsticks are a big hit and they make a quick and easy dinner.
- If your kids love pasta, this recipe for Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan With Pasta will be popular.
- If you like to use your Instant Pot, this Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Pasta makes a great dinner.
- This easy Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken is full of flavor.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken
- 6 pieces chicken
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups gluten free panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Soak your chicken in the buttermilk for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Add the gluten free breadcrumbs and spices to a shallow big bowl and use a whisk to blend the ingredients.
- Remove a piece of chicken from the buttermilk and dip it into the breadcrumbs. Press the chicken down and flip it so all of the chicken is coated. Place it in a roasting pan.
- Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Spray the chicken with a mist of light oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until your chicken has an internal temperature of 165F degrees.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)