If you love chocolate and coffee, you are going to love my newest gluten free chocolate espresso cookies recipe!! These cookies are the perfect blend of flavors. I include a dairy-free option too so everyone gets to try these delicious cookies!!
If you love making cookies, you are in for a special treat today. This new gluten free espresso chocolate chip cookies recipe is full of chocolate and coffee flavors. They are a bit fudgy, with a little bit of crunch from the optional cocoa nibs.
Mr. Fearless Dining and I are big coffee drinkers. Mr. Fearless Dining puts a tablespoon of cocoa powder into his coffee every morning. This inspired me to combine these flavors in this new cookie recipe!
While you are here, please check out all of my easy homemade gluten free cookies recipes.
Why you need to try this cookie recipe:
All you need is a few simple ingredients to make this delicious fudgy double chocolate espresso cookie recipe. My homemade espresso cookies are full of flavor and they are loaded with chocolate chips too! They freeze well and you can make them in about 15 minutes!
If you have been looking for a more unique, fun cookie recipe, you must give this recipe a try!! If you are intrigued by coffee cookies, try this fun Gluten Free Coffee Flour Cookies recipe!
Gluten free espresso cookies ingredient notes:
- Espresso powder - I used a Starbucks Via packet, but you can use any espresso powder. Just read the ingredients label to ensure it is gluten free!
- Gluten free flour blend - I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- Butter - To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- Cocoa powder - There are lots of great gluten free cocoa powder brands. Two of my favorites are Rodelle and Anthony's.
- Cocoa Nibs - These are totally optional. They add some delicious crunch to your cookies. I use Trader Joe's brand but you can also get them on Amazon.
Recipe step by step directions:
Are you ready to make these gluten free double chocolate cookies? They actually can even be called triple chocolate cookies because they get their chocolate flavor from cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and cocoa nibs!! They are so full of rich chocolate flavors!!
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350º F. Add your dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk them to blend.
Step 2: In a smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients and whisk to blend. Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix into the cookie dough. *Optional: Add in some cocoa nibs for a little crunch!
Step 3: This is what your cookie dough batter will look like when it is all mixed.
Bake the cookies for 10 minutes (depending on the size of the cookies).
Step 5: Remove the cookies from the oven and allow cooling on a rack. Optional: Drizzle with white or dark chocolate!!
These chocolate espresso cookies are so fudgy and delicious! They would make great ice cream sandwich cookies with some vanilla ice cream!
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
There are many brands of gluten free espresso powder. You can use finely ground espresso powder from your local coffee house. Ask them to grind it on the turkish setting. I also like using Starbucks Via packets. Always double check the labels to make sure they are gluten free.
It is easy to make these cookies dairy-free. Use vegan butter and be sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips.
These cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
You can easily freeze these espresso cookies. Allow the cookies to cool completely then store in a freezer safe Ziplock bag.
More yummy gluten free cookie recipes:
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten Free Snickerdoodles
- Easy Gluten Free Russian Tea Cookies
- Gluten Free Pizzelles
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Chocolate Espresso Cookies
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- ½ cup cocoa powder * see note
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder * see note
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 13 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs size large
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup cocoa nibs *optional
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, add your dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and add the chocolate chips and cocoa nibs. Mix well.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop cookie dough balls onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Use your fingers to press down the cookies a little so they spread out when they bake.
- Bake your cookies for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow cooling on a cooling rack.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- There are lots of brands of cocoa powder that are gluten free. My favorites are Rodelle, Anthony's, and Ghirardelli.
- You can find espresso powder on Amazon by several brands. You can also use Starbucks Via.
- These cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)