I am so excited to share with you these delicious, melt in your mouth Gluten Free Snickerdoodles. These cookies are one of my best gluten free cookie recipes yet. I include a dairy-free option too! You can make these cookies in under 20 minutes!
Click for Table of Contents:
This is it my friends. The ultimate in gluten free cookies. Mr. Fearless Dining has always been a fan of snickerdoodles, but for some reason, I have never made one for the blog.
This gluten free snickerdoodle cookie recipe is the stuff dreams are made of. You get the sugary cinnamon flavors all in a buttery soft cookie. These gluten free snickerdoodles are made without cream of tartar.
If you love the type of cookie that is slightly crisp (very slightly) and melts in your mouth, you must give this recipe a try! (These Gluten Free Russian Tea Cookies are also great melt in your mouth cookies to make!)
Why you need to make these cookies:
Snickerdoodle cookies have a sweet cinnamon sugar flavor. These cookies are buttery and light with the perfect crispness around the edges. The secret to a good snickerdoodle is to roll the unbaked dough in a cinnamon-sugar blend. All you need is 20 minutes!
Although snickerdoodles are typically a soft cookie, this recipe adds a little crisp so you can also use these cookies to make perfect ice cream sandwiches.
Are you ready to see how easy these snickerdoodle cookies are to make? First, gather your ingredients.
What you need to make this recipe:
I tried to keep the ingredients to a minimum to keep this gluten free snickerdoodles recipe easy to make.
- Gluten free flour blend - I talk about the brands I have tested below. If your gluten free flour blend doesn't contain Xanthan Gum, you will need this too.
- Cinnamon - this is for rolling the dough in.
- Eggs - size large
- Butter - you will need one stick, or 1/2 cup. Use vegan butter if you are dairy-free
- Vanilla - use pure vanilla extract.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Add the dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk to blend.
What gluten free flour blend is best?
I have tested two gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn't mean other blends won't work, I just haven't tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
As always, if your blend does not contain Xanthan Gum, you will need to add 1 teaspoon.
Step 2: Melt the butter then add the wet ingredients to the bowl and mix well. Note, you want your butter very soft and partially melted, but not super hot very melted. If your butter is too hot it will cook the eggs when you mix them together.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
Your snickerdoodle cookie dough will be a little stiff like in this photo. Use a cookie scoop to scoop dough balls and drop into a bowl of sugar and cinnamon.
Step 4: Roll the dough balls in the cinnamon-sugar mix and put onto a cookie sheet. (All quantities etc. are listed below in the recipe card.)
Step 5: Use a glass bottom to smoosh the cookies flat.
Step 6: Bake at 350º F for 8-10 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies. Remove from the oven to a cooling rack.
Expert tips and Recipe FAQ:
Yes, you can easily make these cookies dairy-free by using vegan butter.
These snickerdoodles will keep fresh up to 3 days in an air-tight container, or freeze them.
You can definitely freeze these gluten free cookies! They taste delicious frozen too! They will keep up to 4 months in the freezer.
Cream of tartar adds a delicious flavor, but some with food allergies can not tolerate it so I really wanted to create a gluten free snickerdoodle recipe that was made without cream of tartar.
More delicious cookie recipes:
- If you love sugar cookies, this Gluten Free Sugar Cookies recipe is delicious.
- A cross between a cookie and a brownie, these Yummy Gluten Free Brookies can easily become your favorite.
- Sprinkles make these Gluten Free Funfetti Cookies colorful for a party.
- This delicious Gluten Free Pumpkin Snickerdoodles recipe is a delicious variation of my snickerdoodles recipe.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Snickerdoodles Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter melted, but not too hot!
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sugar and cinnamon for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Add the wet ingredients into a smaller bowl and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Use a cookie scoop to make cookie dough balls.
- In a small bowl, add 3 tablespoons sugar to 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix it up.
- Drop each cookie ball into the cinnamon sugar and roll it around.
- Use the bottom of a glass to press each cookie flat.
- Bake 8 minutes.
- Remove and cool on a cooling rack.
- To make your snickerdoodles dairy-free, use vegan butter.
- I really like Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF Blend and King Arthur Measure for Measure in this recipe. Other brands will most likely work too, I just haven't experimented with any other gluten free flour blends in this cookie recipe.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn't contain Xanthan Gum, please add 1 teaspoon to your flour mix.
- To flatten your cookie balls after rolling in the sugar-cinnamon blend, use the bottom of a glass.
- If you make your cookies large, they make great ice cream sandwiches with ice cream.
- These cookies will keep in an air-tight container up to 4 days or freeze them and they will keep 4 months in the freezer.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)