If you love chocolate goodness with lots of fresh orange zest, these gluten free chocolate orange donuts are for you. Light and fluffy on the inside, with a slight crisp on the outside, you will want to eat more than one of these little donuts.
You will love the contrast of flavors in this gluten free chocolate orange donuts recipe. Orange is a tangy and acidic flavor, while chocolate is sweet and rich. The combination of these contrasting flavors creates a satisfying taste!
Don't forget to check out my best Gluten Free Donut Recipes for even more donut bliss.
The batter is somewhat stiff; you don't want it runny like cake batter.
Add the donut batter to your donut maker and close the lid. Allow cooking for 5 minutes. (Note this photo is of a different donut recipe. I forgot to snap a photo of these donuts cooking...but I wanted you to see the batter in the donut maker.)
How do you know when the donuts are done cooking?
The donuts cook pretty quickly in this donut maker. After 5 minutes, lift the lid. They are ready if your donuts look crisp on the outside and feel firm to the touch.
Can you use a donut pan?
You can definitely use a donut pan. I recommend spraying the donut pan with coconut oil so the outside crisps slightly. To use a donut pan, I like to pipe the batter into the donut pan. It makes your donuts come out more uniformly sized.
This little cooling rack comes with your donut maker, and it is perfect for cooling donuts.
Feel free to dip these donuts into melted chocolate and sprinkles as I did. Click here to see ALL of the gluten free donut recipes on this blog.
Gluten Free Chocolate Orange Donuts
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ⅓ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- dash salt
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend (*Note, my flour blend has xanthan gum included. If yours doesn't, add 1 teaspoon.)
- *optional Fudge sauce and sprinkles I used Trader Joe's
- Preheat the Babycakes Mini Donut Maker.
- In a mixer, add all wet ingredients, including zest.
- Mix on low until blended.
- Add dry ingredients gradually while mixing on low speed. (Turn off before putting flour in, then turn mixer on and up to low while it mixes.)
- Drop a dollop of dough into each donut section.
- Cook for 5 minutes until donuts are done.
- Remove from donut maker to cooling rack.
- Frost, glaze, or enjoy plain.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Simplifying the art of baking and cooking gluten-free recipes.