If you love fried mushrooms but are short of time, you are going to love this air fryer mushrooms recipe! From start to finish, these air fryer breaded mushrooms are ready in under 15 minutes! And don’t worry, if you don’t have an air fryer, I include directions to fry them stovetop too!
I love crispy fried mushrooms. Not just plain mushrooms but more exotic mushrooms too. Our farmer’s market has a wonderful mushroom vendor and I was able to pick up shiitake and lion’s mane this week!
You can use these mushrooms or regular mushrooms. Many grocery stores carry a variety of mushrooms for you to experiment with!
We are big mushroom eaters and I love to include them as appetizers or in the meals I make. You may also want to try this easy Gluten Free Slow Cooker Mushroom Soup a try!
If you haven’t used your air fryer much, this is a great beginner-level recipe to help you get more comfortable using an air fryer. I have a 3.4-quart air fryer but just ordered a 5.8-quart size so that I can cook more food at once.
Why This Recipe is Great:
- You are going to want to make this because not only are the mushrooms breaded with delicious crispy seasoned bread crumbs, they are cooked in the air fryer which makes them have a lot less fat!
- Make a batch quickly. All you need is 15 minutes!
- This recipe works with all types of mushrooms from white and brown button mushrooms to shiitake and lion’s mane!
- You can enjoy them plain, or dip them in. See below for some tasty dip options.
If you love quick and easy air fryer recipes, you will also want to try these Gluten Free Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets too!
- Bread crumbs – You can buy gluten free bread crumbs or make your own homemade gluten free bread crumbs.
- Mushrooms – Use any kind of fresh mushrooms!
- Nutritional yeast – You don’t have to use this secret ingredient, but it adds so much to this recipe when mixed into the bread crumbs. Not only does this add a lot of flavors, but it is very nutritious as well!
- Light oil – I recommend using either avocado or canola. You need to make sure your oil can tolerate high heat, or it will taste rancid.
Types of Mushrooms to Air Fry:
- Lion’s Mane
- Portobello and mini portobello
If you are trying to decide on what air fryer to get, I have a great list of the best air fryers for gluten free. If you are a mushroom fanatic, you will also love this easy Gluten Free Lion’s Mane Crab Cakes recipe.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
You will love how easy this air-fried mushroom recipe is to make!
Step 1: First, lightly wash your mushrooms and pat them dry. You don’t want them in the water or wet too long, or they will get mushy. Especially the more delicate mushrooms like lion’s mane.
Step 2: In a bowl, add the bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, and seasonings. Mix it well so the flavors are evenly dispersed.
Step 3: In another bowl, add the eggs and scramble them up. Dip the mushrooms in and stir them around to coat them. This egg is what helps the bread crumbs mixture stick. I recommend adding a couple of mushrooms at a time.
Step 4: Remove the mushrooms from the egg mixture and move them to the bread crumb mixture. Toss the mushrooms gently to coat them.
Step 5: Spray light oil (high heat tolerant!) to the bottom of the air fryer tray. Put the breaded mushrooms in the air fryer. Make sure they are not touching so `the air can circulate around each mushroom. This helps them cook more evenly. Spray more light oil over the tops.
Step 6: Cook your mushrooms at 380º F for 6 minutes. Serve hot plain, or dip into ranch dressing or this delicious Curry Dipping Sauce.
Deep Fried Mushrooms:
Frying these mushrooms on the stovetop is really easy. Repeat the steps above to wash and bread the mushrooms. Once they are washed and breaded, follow these steps:
- In a dutch oven add a light high heat oil to about 2-3 inches deep. Heat the oil over medium-high heat. I recommend using canola or avocado oil. These oils are very tolerant to cooking in high heat. (Do NOT use olive oil!)
- When the oil is to 350º F, add a few mushrooms.
- Move them around with a slotted spoon, turning them over after 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the oil when the outside is crispy and put them onto a paper towel-lined plate.
The best way to fry mushrooms depends on whether you are trying to reduce the fat of frying. If you want these gluten free fried mushrooms to be lower fat, use the air fryer.
I recommend using gluten free panko, bread crumbs, or crushed crackers as breading for this air fryer mushrooms recipe.
Store leftover fried mushrooms in an airtight container. They will lose their crispy outsides, but you can reheat them in the oven to re-crisp them.
- Gluten Free Ranch Dressing
- Dip into the Curry Dipping Sauce shared in this fries recipe.
- My Gluten Free Marinara makes a great dipping sauce!
More Air Fryer Recipes:
- Gluten Free Ground Chicken Meatballs
- Air Fried Chicken Drumsticks
- Easy Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Scallops in a Dill Garlic Butter Sauce
Gluten Free Air Fryer Mushrooms
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- ½ cup gluten free bread crumbs * see note
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs size large
- 2 teaspoons light oil for spraying
- First, lightly wash your mushrooms and pat them dry. You don't want them in the water or wet too long or they will get mushy. Especially the more delicate mushrooms like lion's mane.
- In a bowl, add the bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, and seasonings. Mix it well so the flavors are evenly dispersed.
- In another bowl, add the eggs and scramble them up. Dip the mushrooms in and stir them around to coat them. This egg is what helps the bread crumbs mixture stick. I recommend adding a couple of mushrooms at a time.
- Remove the mushrooms from the egg mixture and move them to the bread crumb mixture. Toss the mushrooms gently to coat them.
- Spray light oil (high heat tolerant!) to the bottom of the air fryer tray. Put the breaded mushrooms in the air fryer. Make sure they are not touching so `the air can circulate around each mushroom. This helps them cook more evenly. Spray more light oil over the tops.
- Cook your mushrooms on 380º F for 6 minutes. Serve hot plain, or dip into ranch dressing or this delicious Curry Dipping Sauce.
- Use any kind of mushroom including button, cremini, shiitake, lion’s mane, oyster mushrooms…all types of mushrooms work well in this air fryer mushrooms recipe.
- These mushrooms are best crispy out of the air fryer and they will lose their crispiness if you store them in the refrigerator.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn’t test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
Your go-to haven for gluten-free living, where I share hundreds of delicious, family-friendly recipes, helpful gluten-free resources, and allergen-friendly options for everyone!