This moist, sweet gluten free microwave banana cake is a delicious treat that you can enjoy in just 4 minutes from start to finish! Bursting with banana flavor, top this mug cake with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge!
Don't let the looks of this cake fool you. This gluten free banana nut mug cake is an amazing treat! Full of delicious banana and brown sugar flavor, it is hard to believe it actually cooks in your microwave!
The downside of mug cakes is how they look. Mug cakes are certainly not "pretty". I definitely try to make them look good like with this gluten free lemon mug cake. The drizzle of icing is decorative.
Although many make their mug cakes mostly during the hot summer, you can enjoy this banana cake in a mug anytime!!
Summer is hot and I am adding some new gluten free mug cake recipes so you always have quick and easy no oven desserts! If you love dessert as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my awesome gluten free mug cake recipes!
Why this recipe is so good:
The fact that you can make a cake that tastes sweet and delicious in about 3 minutes in your microwave is the best reason to try this recipe.
This gluten free microwave banana mug cake is incredible topped with whipped cream, frosting, or vanilla ice cream. Drizzle on some hot fudge and this becomes an incredible treat!
- Banana - A ripe banana is best. See my tips below if you need to ripen your bananas.
- Gluten free flour blend - Gluten free flour blend - I tested this recipe using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Non-dairy milk - I used almond milk but other dairy-free kinds of milk will work but I do not recommend canned coconut milk.
Are you ready to give this easy banana microwave cake a try? First, you need a very ripe banana. If you don't have a ripe banana, no worries. There are some great tips to help you ripen a banana quickly.
How to ripen a banana:
- If you have a day or two, place the banana into a paper bag and leave it on the counter.
- Need that banana asap? Bake the banana in the skin at 300º F for 20 minutes. I usually make a small slit in the skin so air can escape.
How to make a gluten free banana mug cake:
Step 1: Add your dry ingredients to a small bowl. Whisk to blend. You could mix the whole cake in the mug, but the edges tend to hold dry ingredients and the mug cake ingredients may not be fully mixed.
Step 2: Add your wet ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Make sure you mashed your banana with a fork so that it doesn't have large chunks.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
Step 4: Pour the batter into a microwave safe coffee mug. The batter should come up about halfway. Don't use a small coffee mug. You can tell if your mug is too small if the batter fills the cup ¾ or higher.
Step 5: Microwave the cake for 2 minutes. Touch your finger to the top. If it feels like batter, microwave an additional 30 seconds.
*Note the batter will rise high when the cake is cooking. It will sink back down when it cooks towards the middle. (See Q&A.)
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can tell when a mug cake is done by gently touching the top of the cake. It should feel firm but soft.
I like to let the mug cake cool for 15 minutes before frosting or icing the cake.
You can use any coffee or tea cup to make a microwave cake.
You can use any nuts. For this recipe I tend to lean towards using either walnuts or pecans.
Mug cakes rise up when cooking because the microwave cooks from the outside in, making the sides of the mug very hot. It pushes the cake up while cooking. Once the cake is cooked to the middle, it sinks back down.
All you need to do to make this banana mug cake dairy-free is to use coconut oil instead of butter.
It is very easy to make this cake nut-free. Just omit the nuts.
More gluten free mug cake recipes!
- Gluten free chocolate mug cake
- Simple gluten free vanilla mug cake
- Gluten free cherry cobbler mug cake
- Mr. Fearless Dining's favorite gluten free snickerdoodle mug cake
Gluten Free Banana Nut Mug Cake
- ¼ cup gluten free flour blend * see note
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- tiny dash salt
- ½ banana smooshed (see note)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg large
- ¼ cup almond milk * see note
- 1 tablespoon butter * see note
- In a bowl, add the gluten free flour blend, sugar, baking powder, and salt and whisk to blend.
- In another bowl, add the smooshed banana, butter, egg, vanilla, and milk. Whisk to blend.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just barely mixed.
- Put the cake batter into a microwave-safe mug and microwave for 90 seconds.
- Check the top of the cake with your finger. If it is a bit sticky, microwave an additional 35 seconds and re-test. The exact time will vary depending on how tall and wide your mug is.
- Dump the cake out onto a plate for cooling.
- Allow to cool and top with frosting, ice cream, or whipped cream
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free holiday cookies baking tips!)