This moist, sweet gluten free microwave banana cake is a delicious treat that you can enjoy in just 4 minutes from start to finish! Bursting with banana flavor, top this mug cake with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge!
Summer is hot and I am adding some new gluten free mug cake recipes so you always have quick and easy no oven desserts! If you love dessert as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my awesome gluten free mug cake recipes!
Don't let the looks of this cake fool you. This gluten free banana nut mug cake is an amazing treat! Full of delicious banana and brown sugar flavor, it is hard to believe it actually cooks in your microwave!
The downside of mug cakes is how they look. Mug cakes are certainly not "pretty". I definitely try to make them look good like with this gluten free lemon mug cake. The drizzle of icing is decorative.
Although many make their mug cakes mostly during the hot summer, you can enjoy this banana cake in a mug anytime!!
This gluten free microwave banana mug cake is incredible topped with whipped cream, frosting, or vanilla ice cream. Drizzle on some hot fudge and this becomes an incredible treat!
- Gluten free flour blend
- Baking powder
- Brown sugar
- Almond milk (milk, or another non-dairy milk)
Are you ready to give this easy banana microwave cake a try? First, you need a very ripe banana. If you don't have a ripe banana, no worries. There are some great tips to help you ripen a banana quickly.
🍌 How to ripen a banana:
- If you have a day or two, place the banana into a paper bag and leave it on the counter.
- Need that banana asap? Bake the banana in the skin at 225 degrees F for 20 minutes. I usually make a small slit in the skin so air can escape.
Step 1: Add your dry ingredients to a small bowl. Whisk to blend. You could mix the whole cake in the mug, but the edges tend to hold dry ingredients and the mug cake ingredients may not be fully mixed.
I have tested two gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn't mean other blends won't work, I just haven't tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
Many ask what gluten free flours work with my mug cake recipes. I tend to use the two below, but I recently tested Namaste GF Blend and it worked well too!
As always, if your blend does not contain Xanthan Gum, you will need to add 1 teaspoon.
Step 2: Add your wet ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Make sure you mashed your banana with a fork so that it doesn't have large chunks.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
Step 4: Pour the batter into a microwave safe coffee mug. The batter should come up about halfway. Don't use a small coffee mug. You can tell if your mug is too small if the batter fills the cup 3/4 or higher.
Step 5: Microwave the cake for 2 minutes. Touch your finger to the top. If it feels like batter, microwave an additional 30 seconds. *Note the batter will rise high when the cake is cooking. It will sink back down when it cooks towards the middle. (See Q&A.)
📋 Common Questions:
You can tell when a mug cake is done by gently touching the top of the cake. It should feel firm but soft.
I like to let the mug cake cool for 15 minutes before frosting or icing the cake.
You can use any coffee or tea cup to make a microwave cake.
You can use any nuts. For this recipe I tend to lean towards using either walnuts or pecans.
Mug cakes rise up when cooking because the microwave cooks from the outside in, making the sides of the mug very hot. It pushes the cake up while cooking. Once the cake is cooked to the middle, it sinks back down.
All you need to do to make this banana mug cake dairy-free is to use coconut oil instead of butter.
It is very easy to make this cake nut-free. Just omit the nuts.
If you like this mug cake, check out more of my gluten free mug cake recipes!
- Gluten free chocolate mug cake
- Simple gluten free vanilla mug cake
- Gluten free cherry cobbler mug cake
- Mr. Fearless Dining's favorite gluten free snickerdoodle mug cake
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Banana Nut Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- tiny dash salt
- 1/2 banana smooshed (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond milk see note
- 1 tablespoon butter see note
- In a bowl, add the gluten free flour blend, sugar, baking powder, and salt and whisk to blend.
- In another bowl, add the smooshed banana, butter, egg, vanilla, and milk. Whisk to blend.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just barely mixed.
- Put the cake batter into a microwave-safe mug and microwave for 90 seconds.
- Check the top of the cake with your finger. If it is a bit sticky, microwave an additional 35 seconds and re-test. The exact time will vary depending on how tall and wide your mug is.
- Dump the cake out onto a plate for cooling.
- Allow to cool and top with frosting, ice cream, or whipped cream
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)