Sometimes it is too hot to cook, other times you want a quick treat that you can make in just minutes. Whatever your reason, you will love the simplicity of this delicious dairy-free, Gluten Free Vanilla Mug Cake. You literally can have a cake in under 3 minutes from start to finish!!
If you haven't had a gluten free mug cake yet, you are in for a special treat!! But, I am going to be a bit honest, mug cakes are not that "pretty" type of cake. There I said it. You can see above...it needed to be said.
A microwave mug cake cooks at high temperature, in a mug, very fast. It bubbles and rises up over the cup as it cooks. (It is solid, not liquid by the time it rises up so in most cases, it doesn't explode cake batter thank goodness!)
But, thankfully, this easy microwave mug cake recipe is no exception. One bite is all it takes to get hooked!"
If you love the idea of this gluten free mug cake, you will want to try this Gluten Free Lime Mug Cake recipe too. It is one of our favorite summer desserts.
- Gluten free flour blend - I tested this recipe using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Xanthan gum - If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- Coconut oil -
- Almond milk -
I modeled this vanilla cake in a cup recipe after my popular Gluten Free Vanilla Cake recipe. If you have the time to bake, I highly recommend trying this cake recipe too!
If you are looking for more options for mug cakes, try this easy Gluten Free Lemon Mug Cake recipe too!
How to make a gluten free vanilla mug cake:
You can make a mug cake without mixing the ingredients separately, but I like to mix up the wet and dry ingredients separately to ensure everything is well mixed.
Step 1: Add the wet ingredients to a small bowl and mix well.
Step 2: Add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
Step 3: Wet ingredients poured over the dry ingredients. Mix well.
Step 4: This is what your mug cake batter will look like. Microwave for 90 seconds.
Note, the cake may cook up over the edge of the mug, then fall back down a little as it cools. If you are looking for something with chocolate, try this easy gluten free chocolate mug cake.
Step 5: Turn the mug cake upside down on a plate. As I said, mug cakes are pretty ugly. Let the cake cool, then top with:
- ice cream
- whipped cream
This gluten free snickerdoodle mug cake is Mr. Fearless Dining's favorite!
Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can use any type of mug as long as it is microwave safe!! I have used both glass mugs and ceramic mugs without any trouble.
Cook time of a microwave cake can vary by the depth of the mug you use. The typical amount of time needed is around 90 seconds.
This recipe makes a single serving gluten free vanilla cake. You probably won't have leftovers, but if you do it should keep about 4 days.
If you are new to gluten free living, don't forget to check out my guide to gluten free living. It can help you navigate everything from grocery shopping to cooking and baking to dining safely in restaurants.
Lauren made this recipe with King Arthur's Measure for Measure and oat milk. She used a store-bought cream cheese frosting to top.
More Delicious Gluten Free No-Bake Desserts:
Gluten Free Vanilla Mug Cake
- ¼ cup gluten free flour blend * see note
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- tiny dash salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup almond milk
- In a small bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Grab another bowl and add the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Pour the gluten free batter into a mug. (The batter should be ½ to the top of the mug. If it is a lot higher, use a larger mug.)
- Microwave your mug cake for 90 seconds. Allow to cool.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF, Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend, and Authentic Foods Multi Blend in this recipe. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- You can use any microwave safe mug for this recipe.
- The mug handle may be very hot when you remove it from the microwave. Make sure to use a pot holder to remove the mug.
- I used almond milk but other dairy-free kinds of milk will work but I do not recommend canned coconut milk.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)