Sometimes it is too hot to cook, other times you want a quick treat that you can make in just minutes. Whatever your reason, you will love the simplicity of this delicious Gluten Free Vanilla Mug Cake. You literally can have a cake in under 3 minutes from start to finish!!
If you are new to gluten free living, don't forget to check out my guide to gluten free living. It can help you navigate everything from grocery shopping to cooking and baking to dining safely in restaurants.
If you haven't had a gluten free mug cake yet, you are in for a special treat!! But, I am going to be a bit honest, mug cakes are not that "pretty" type of cake. There I said it. You can see above...it needed to be said.
A microwave mug cake cooks at high temperature, in a mug, very fast. It bubbles and rises up over the cup as it cooks. (It is solid, not liquid by the time it rises up so in most cases, it doesn't explode cake batter thank goodness!)
But, thankfully, this easy microwave mug cake recipe is no exception. One bite is all it takes to get hooked!"
I modeled this vanilla cake in a cup recipe after my popular Gluten Free Vanilla Cake recipe. If you have the time to bake, I highly recommend trying this cake recipe too!
If you are looking for more options for mug cakes, try this easy Gluten Free Lemon Mug Cake recipe too!
If you love the idea of this gluten free mug cake, you will want to try this Gluten Free Lime Mug Cake recipe too. It is one of our favorite summer desserts.
The first step to make this gluten free vanilla mug cake is to gather up your ingredients.
You can make a mug cake without mixing the ingredients separately, but I like to mix up the wet and dry ingredients separately to ensure everything is well mixed.
Add the wet ingredients to a small bowl and mix well.
Add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
I have tested two gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn't mean other blends won't work, I just haven't tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
As always, if your blend does not contain Xanthan Gum, you will need to add 1 teaspoon.
Wet ingredients poured over the dry ingredients. Mix well.
This is what your mug cake batter will look like. Microwave for 90 seconds.
The cake will cook up over the edge of the mug, then fall back down a little as it cools. If you are looking for something with chocolate, try this easy gluten free chocolate mug cake.
What kind of mug can you cook a mug cake in?
You can use any type of mug as long as it is microwave safe!! I have used both glass mugs and ceramic mugs without any trouble.
Turn the mug cake upside down on a plate. As I said, mug cakes are pretty ugly. Let the cake cool, then top with:
- ice cream
- whipped cream
This gluten free snickerdoodle mug cake is Mr. Fearless Dining's favorite!
How long do you cook a microwave cake?
Cook time of a microwave cake can vary by the depth of the mug you use. The typical amount of time needed is around 90 seconds.
Lauren made this recipe with King Arthur's Measure for Measure and oat milk. She used a store bought cream cheese frosting to top.
More Delicious Gluten Free No-Bake Desserts:
- Creamy Homemade Chocolate Truffles
- Easy Gluten Free Tarts
- Pineapple Sorbet
- Gluten Free Chai Apple Pie Mug Cake
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Vanilla Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- tiny dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- In a small bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Grab another bowl and add the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Pour the gluten free batter into a mug. (The batter should be 1/2 to the top of the mug. If it is a lot higher, use a larger mug.)
- Microwave your mug cake for 90 seconds. Allow to cool.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF, Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend, and Authentic Foods Multi Blend in this recipe. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- You can use any microwave safe mug for this recipe.
- The mug handle may be very hot when you remove it from the microwave. Make sure to use a pot holder to remove the mug.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)