It is officially pumpkin season! What better way to celebrate than with a gluten free pumpkin tart? Dark rum caramelizes into the pumpkin and white chocolate flavors to make a fabulously delicious dessert for fall.
One creamy bite and you will be hooked. If you love pumpkin recipes as much as we do, you will want to check out all of my delicious gluten free pumpkin recipes on the blog :-).
Pumpkin and Fall Baking
Pumpkin smells are about to overtake your kitchen and thrill your senses. This gluten free pumpkin tart will do just this!
I can even guarantee the smells of this gluten free pumpkin tart baking will bring secluded teens out of their rooms. :-).
My husband and I were walking in downtown Los Gatos one evening, and I just couldn’t resist a stop in my favorite store, Sur La Table. This is an “unsolicited plug” for this store, and it is my go-to place to find kitchen gadgets, pans, and cute decorations. Los Gatos has a quaint downtown area filled with restaurants, unique locally owned stores, and several coffee shops. There are a few large stores as well including an Apple Store and Sur La Table.
I had wanted a tart pan for several months now. These pans have a removable bottom, making it easy to get the tart out of the pan.
A Note About Pumpkin Puree:
For this recipe, I used organic canned pumpkin puree. It is important not to use a can of pumpkin pie filling for this recipe.
If you prefer to roast your own pumpkin, here are some tips on how to roast a pumpkin:
- Make sure you use a sugar pumpkin. Honestly, this smaller pumpkin tastes a lot better in recipes than a Jack O’ Lantern style large pumpkin.
- Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Brush the pumpkin with coconut oil and bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. Check the pumpkin at 30 minutes to see if it is soft when a fork is inserted.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven and allow it to cool off.
- Use a spoon to scrape the pumpkin pulp out of the rind.
- Add to a food processor with 2-3 tablespoons water and blend until smooth.
- For this recipe, you don’t want your pumpkin to be too thick.
How to Make A Gluten Free Tart:
Mix up the crust ingredients and press into the tart pan. Make sure you really push it into each crinkle in the edging.
Mix up the pumpkin and other wet ingredients together with a whisk.
Pour the liquid tart pumpkin mixture onto the prepared crust. This pumpkin tarts cooking time is about 25 minutes.
When the tart is baked and cooled off, you can top it with white chocolate shavings and little chunks of crystallized ginger. You will be surprised how good crystallized ginger is in baked goods!
The crisp ginger flavors blend in with the pumpkin to make a burst of flavor.”
Melting the white chocolate was a huge fail. I was trying for a white chocolate drizzle, but sometimes things just don’t work out as planned. Melting the Ghirardelli white chocolate chips in the microwave just didn’t work out. Somehow, it became white chocolate crumble. It still tasted like white chocolate, so I sprinkled it on top of this tart. Unexpected, but it works so well with the flavors in this tart!
More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes to Try:
- Giant Gluten Free Pumpkin Skillet Cookie
- Light and Fluffy Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Easy Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
- No-Churn Gluten Free Pumpkin Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- Large tart pan. I love this pan because the bottom pops out, making this tart easy to take out of the pan.
- Mixing bowls. These mixing bowls are so cool because the rubber bottoms prevent your bowls from sliding around when you mix ingredients up.
- 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, grade B
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup gluten free graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons white chocolate shavings
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub inside of tart pan with a stick of butter to grease.
- In a large bowl, add all wet ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Blend all dry crust ingredients.
- Add coconut oil and mix well.
- Press the crust into the pan, making sure to press into each scalloped edge.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the crust.
- Carefully place the tart into the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Add chocolate shavings and ginger pieces to the top.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Serve chilled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 62mg Carbohydrates: 48g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 36g Protein: 6g
(*this post was updated from my 10/29/15 post.)