The weather is cooling off and the time is perfect for a bowl of this dairy free Kuri Squash Soup (with a vegan option.)
If you haven’t tried kuri squash, it adds a rich flavor that is perfect for soup recipes.
What is Kuri Squash?
Have you seen this funky looking Kuri Squash yet? It is that funny orange oblong winter squash that you may see in your farmer’s markets.
It has a similar flavor to a butternut squash, though from cooking this squash, I feel it is a little sweeter.
Kuri squash has an oddly shaped winter squash that is dark orange inside. I would say the flavor is a cross between sweet potato and butternut squash. The rind was easy to chop through, and your efforts will be well worth it!
There are so many delicious squash recipes you can try!
I decided to create a warm soup out of this squash. This soup is completely paleo and gluten free, and full of flavor! I also include a vegan option.
So how do you roast a kuri squash?
- The first step to making a soup is to roast the squash.
- Roasting the squash is what gives this soup an almost caramelized flavor.
- Cut it in half and brushed the flesh with olive oil.
- Placed it skin side up and roasted it for 30 minutes in our convection toaster oven.
Here is what the inside of the roasted Kuri squash looks like. Carefully scrape the soft roasted kuri squash out of the rind and add to the blender.
More Ways to Cook Red Kuri Squash:
- You can roast the squash as mentioned above because it truly adds a lot to the flavor.
- If you are short of time, you can lay two halves of kuri squash in a microwave-safe dish. Add a little water and microwave for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- You can peel the squash, remove the seeds and chop the red kuri squash into chunks. Boil or steam these chunks until soft.
Thai Chili (aka Bird’s Eye Chili)
I added a kick of spice to this soup by adding one Thai chili to the soup, but that is completely optional! I couldn’t resist when I saw these bunches of fresh Thai chile at the farmer’s market.
These chilis are not for the novice. They are HOT. I used just one tiny one in this soup recipe and it is spicy!
(*I love spicy, but if you don’t, don’t add these chilis!) Here is a delicious mild Red Shishito Pepper Soup to try!
If you have the chance to buy these, just hang the bunch upside down and let them dry. I did this and I now have two containers of these chilis to use.
Ingredients You Need to Make Kuri Squash Soup:
- Kuri squash
- Coconut milk
- White wine
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Maple syrup
This post was updated from a 2014 post. Do you want to see how much my food photography has changed over the years? Here is an old picture of this soup:
More Soup Recipes to Try!
To make this kuri squash soup vegan, just substitute your favorite vegetable broth for the chicken broth. (You may need to add more salt, depending on the brand you choose to use.)
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Things You Need To Make This Soup:
- 1 large kuri squash
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon grade B maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and butter on medium heat.
- Add diced onion and minced garlic.
- Cook until softened.
- Scoop squash out of rind and add to the pot.
- Add all other ingredients except tapioca starch.
- Using an Cuisinart CSB-79 Smart Stick 2-Speed 200-watt Immersion Hand Blender Blend the soup until all pieces of vegetable are pureed.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down to simmer. Whisk in tapioca starch.
- Continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 193 Saturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 614mg Carbohydrates: 14g Sugar: 9g Protein: 1g
More Yummy Soup Ideas to Try!
Here is a delicious soup recipe to try, Chilled Shishito Soup.