This week you are in for a treat with this delicious coconut sticky rice mango sushi recipe. Think of this as a deconstructed mango with coconut sticky rice recipe that you would order at your favorite Thai restaurant. Dessert sushi has never been more fun!
Do you love sushi?
Today I created a fun new treat. Something for sushi lovers, and sushi haters!
If you love Thai coconut sticky rice with mango, you will love this fun twist!
It is one of my all-time favorite desserts, which is why I worked so hard to create a fun recipe with the same flavors. I love how the creamy coconut sauce melds together with the sticky rice and mango. This dessert sushi isn’t too sweet, but yet they are completely satisfying.
I have been craving sushi, but I haven’t had the time to drive out to Mitsuwa this week. After seeing how ripe these mangoes are, I decided to surprise my kids and make a dessert sushi.
The ingredients are very simple and making this recipe is really easy considering how elegant this dessert looks.
Chopsticks make this dessert sushi even more fun to eat!
This week I found a keitt mango in our farm box. These California keitt mangoes are left on the tree longer than imported mangoes. What this means is FLAVOR. These mangoes are sweet, really sweet…and perfect for a dessert recipe
My dessert sushi recipe is gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
If you don’t want to make fruit sushi, feel free to use this as a Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango dish that you see in many Thai restaurants.
The name of this rice is a bit misleading. I think when you are gluten free, any word that starts with gluten can make us worry. This rice is perfectly safe and does not contain any gluten.
It is important to make sure the rice you use is labeled glutinous rice. I found this bag at Lion Supermarket, our local Asian grocery store.
(*Please note this post has affiliate links. Ordering through my site will not change the price you pay. A tiny commission will come to Fearless Dining to help offset the cost of running this blog. I truly appreciate the support.)
Tools You Need To Make This Dessert:
- A good whisk to keep your coconut sugar sauce nice and smooth.
- Coconut sugar…this is a lower glycemic sugar that tastes delicious.
How to make this dessert sushi recipe:
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 cups glutinous rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/3 cups water
- basil and shredded coconut to garnish.
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- Soak sticky rice in water for 1-2 hours.
- Rinse the rice and place in a pot with a can of coconut milk and water. Cover and bring to a boil, then turn heat down to simmer.
- When liquid is absorbed, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a saucepan, bring coconut milk and coconut sugar to boil. Turn down the heat and allow to simmer until sauce becomes thick.
- When the rice has cooled down, make oval shaped rice balls.
- Place a slice of mango on top.
- Pour a small amount of the coconut sauce over the top.
- Garnish with sweetened coconut shreds and thinly sliced basil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: pieces
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 421 Saturated Fat: 10g Sodium: 53mg Carbohydrates: 73g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 16g Protein: 5g
Here is a chocolaty twist on this classic dessert, Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango.
(*This recipe was updated from a September 12, 2014 post.)
More Yummy Dessert Recipes To Try!