Do you love smoked salmon? This easy one-pan shiitake mushroom smoked salmon risotto is a family-favorite dinner recipe to try! Smoked salmon gives this gluten free risotto a smokey rich flavor that is delicious.
Hey there! I hope you are all having a great week. My week has been great and I am topping it off with one of my favorite risotto recipes.
I had fun walking my feet off at the Fancy Foods show in San Fransisco this past weekend. If you haven’t been to this convention, imagine thousands of food brands from all over the world. The show takes up two huge convention centers across the street from each other! After an hour my stomach was sooo full, I couldn’t eat another bite!
I was pretty tired by the time I got home, and I wanted an easy dinner that wouldn’t make a huge mess to prepare.
We had a large family breakfast the other day and we served smoked salmon for the bagels. The salmon didn’t all get finished and it had been hanging out in our refrigerator for a long time. I am not sure how long smoked salmon will keep, so I needed a smoked salmon recipe to use it up quickly.
This easy one-pan smoked salmon risotto is a kid-friendly dinner that is ready in under 30 minutes.”
What is Risotto?
Risotto is an Italian rice dish that is made with arborio rice. It is slowly simmered in liquid with meat and/or vegetables.
This rice dish is kid-friendly and is one of my favorite dinners to make. You can add any meat, or keep it vegetarian. Any vegetables can also work. One of my favorite risottos is this Acorn Squash Risotto. The sweetness from the winter squash really works well when combined with parmesan and creamy rice.
You can even cheat a bit and make a low carb risotto out of riced cauliflower like this Shiitake Mushroom Risotto.
More One Pan Dinner Ideas
Don’t you love when you can throw together a healthy family dinner without making a mess? This easy risotto recipe cooks completely in one pan. You can’t beat only cleaning one pan!! Here are two more one pan recipes that are perfect for those busy nights: Easy One Pan Blackberry Tarragon Chicken and Quick and Easy One Pan Chicken Picatta.
This gluten free risotto recipe is very adaptable. If your kids won’t eat shiitake mushrooms, feel free to substitute with their favorite vegetables. Any vegetable will work with the smoked salmon. This recipe for smoked salmon won’t disappoint!
How to make risotto:
It doesn’t take too long to make risotto. You will want to make sure you use arborio rice. Arborio rice is a white short-grained Italian rice. This rice is naturally very starchy, making it nice and sticky for risotto.
Heat olive oil in a cast-iron pan over medium heat. Add the arborio rice and cook the rice in the olive oil until all rice is coated. (About 2-3 minutes).
Add in the shiitake mushrooms, scallions, and white wine.
Add in salmon. Gradually add chicken stock to the pan. As it cooks down, add more until the rice softens. Lastly, add in the cream and parmesan cheese.
Things You Need To Make This Recipe:
- A big cast iron pan. This makes for an even easier cleanup 🙂
- Aborio rice is the best rice to use for risotto because it gets so creamy.
- 1 1/2 cups aborio rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 14 fluid ounces low sodium chicken broth, (1 box Trader Joe's chicken broth)
- salt to taste
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat a cast iron skillet to medium heat with olive oil. Add rice and toss to coat the rice in the oil. Quickly add the wine and cook until the wine has cooked in.
- Add scallions and mushrooms and saute 3 minutes. Lower temperature to simmer.
- Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and allow the broth to cook down. Repeat this process of adding chicken broth and cooking it down until rice starts to get tender. Add smoked salmon after adding liquid 3 times.
- When the rice is tender, add cream and parmesan cheese. Mix well. Cook down until rice is creamy. Add salt to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 233 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 32mg Sodium: 587mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 11g