Do you love smoked salmon? This easy one-pan smoked salmon risotto is a family-favorite dinner recipe to try! Smoked salmon gives this gluten free risotto a smokey rich flavor that the whole family will love. Dinner is ready in under 30 minutes!
Hey there! I hope you are all having a great week. My week has been great and I am topping it off with one of my favorite risotto recipes.
We had a large family breakfast the other day and we served smoked salmon for the bagels. The salmon didn't all get finished and it had been hanging out in our refrigerator for a long time. I am not sure how long smoked salmon will keep, so I needed a smoked salmon recipe to use it up quickly.
This easy one-pan gluten free risotto recipe is a kid-friendly dinner that is ready in under 30 minutes."
What is Risotto?
Risotto is an Italian rice dish that is made with arborio rice. It is slowly simmered in liquid with meat and/or vegetables.
My gluten free smoked salmon risotto recipe is so easy to make! If you are looking for easy dinner recipes, check out all of my gluten free dinner recipes!
Why this smoked salmon risotto is great:
My risotto recipe is kid-friendly and is one of my favorite dinners to make. You can add any meat, or keep it vegetarian. Any vegetables can also work. You can even cheat a bit and make a low-carb risotto out of riced cauliflower like this Shiitake Mushroom Risotto.
Don't you love when you can throw together a healthy family dinner without making a mess? This easy risotto recipe cooks completely in one pan. You can't beat only cleaning one pan!!
This smoked salmon risotto recipe is very adaptable. If your kids won't eat shiitake mushrooms, feel free to substitute with their favorite vegetables. Any vegetable will work with the smoked salmon. This recipe for smoked salmon won't disappoint!
- Arborio rice - I am very glad arborio rice is gluten free because it has become a family staple meal for us.
- Chicken broth - Feel free to use vegetable broth if you prefer. I advise using low sodium broth.
- Smoked salmon - I use wild smoked salmon in this recipe. There isn't a huge flavor difference but I try to avoid farmed fish.
It doesn't take too long to make risotto. You will want to make sure you use arborio rice. Arborio rice is a white short-grained Italian rice. This rice is naturally very starchy, making it nice and sticky for risotto.
Recipe step by step directions:
Are you ready to make this simple smoked salmon risotto recipe? Gather up your ingredients.
Step 1: Heat olive oil in a cast-iron pan over medium heat. Add the arborio rice and cook the rice in the olive oil until all rice is coated. (About 2-3 minutes).
Step 2: Add in the shiitake mushrooms, scallions, and white wine.
Step 3: Add in salmon. Gradually add chicken stock to the pan. As the liquid cooks down, add more liquid, a little at a time, until the rice softens. Lastly, add in the cream and parmesan cheese.
Easy to make, I also added butternut, pumpkin (squash), broccoli, and garlic. I used an extra cup of stock. Comes out beautifully creamy and so so hearty. Here’s to my new pre-race carb meal!!!"Marge K., Pinterest user
This is the first time that I've made/had smoked salmon, and this was a great recipe to start off with. simple and tasty!"K. Moss, Pinterest user
More easy gluten free dinner ideas:
If you love my gluten free risotto recipe, you will want to try some of my other easy seafood recipes.
- A big cast iron pan. This makes for an even easier cleanup 🙂
- Arborio rice is the best rice to use for risotto because it gets so creamy.
Easy Smoked Salmon Risotto
- 1 ½ cups arborio rice * see note
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup smoked salmon * see note
- ¼ cup scallions chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 14 fluid ounces low sodium chicken broth * see note
- salt to taste
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat a cast iron skillet to medium heat with olive oil. Add rice and toss to coat the rice in the oil. Quickly add the wine and cook until the wine has cooked in.
- Add scallions and mushrooms and saute 3 minutes. Lower temperature to simmer.
- Add ½ cup of chicken broth and allow the broth to cook down. Repeat this process of adding chicken broth and cooking it down until rice starts to get tender. Add smoked salmon after adding liquid 3 times.
- When the rice is tender, add cream and parmesan cheese. Mix well. Cook down until rice is creamy. Add salt to taste.
- I used low sodium chicken broth. You can also use vegetable broth in this recipe.
- Be sure to use arborio rice as that is the best rice for risotto. It has a higher starch content to allow it to stick more and create a creamier sauce.
- Add any vegetables you like to this recipe. My kids love when I add peas to risotto.
- When shopping for smoked salmon, I prefer to use wild-caught. There are a lot of great brands of wild-caught smoked salmon. My family liked DuckTrap and the one we find at Trader Joe's. The least expensive smoked salmon is at Costco.
- If you don't have smoked salmon, you can also use leftover cooked salmon in this gluten free risotto recipe.
- This rice dish will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
If you love the recipes you find on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free gluten free lemon dessert e-cookbook!)
Easy risotto?? I didn't know it was possible! But this one is simple, pretty quick, and tastes oh so delicious. I used smoked salmon from Lummi Island Wild and it made the best risotto I've probably ever tasted.
I am so glad you enjoyed it Bethany 🙂
Really nice recipe. probably will mix salmon at the beginning & smoked salmon towards the end of cooking next time.
That sounds like a great idea Paul...you can't have enough salmon 🙂
Sam | Ahead of Thyme
This risotta looks so delicious!! Love how easy it is!
Thank you Sam 🙂
Gloria @ Homemade & Yummy
As a rice lover, risotto is something I can make a meal out of. This looks delicious...all I need is a glass of wine and dinner is served.