This super easy roasted red pepper cream cheese spread is not only great on a bagel, but it makes a wonderful dip for crackers and chips too! If you have been looking for the best veggie cream cheese, this one is great!
Are you the bagel type who loves to slather them with flavored cream cheese spread? We are, and we are all about making homemade whipped cream cheese spreads!
My kids love when I make my homemade gluten free bagels for breakfast, and I used to buy several different flavors of cream cheese to go with them. Flavored cream cheeses could get expensive because flavored cream cheeses cost more than plain cream cheese.
I had no idea how easy it was to make my cream cheese schmear in different flavors!! Savory or sweet, the process is the same for any flavor you want to create. This roasted red pepper spread is as easy as it gets! Make this schmear in under 10 minutes!
Why This Recipe is Great:
- You will love this easy veggie cream cheese because it is flavorful and has simple ingredients.
- It isn't just delicious with breakfast. It also makes a great party dip. Dip these delicious homemade Gluten Free Bagel Chips!
- Flavored schmears are all the rage for a fun breakfast bagel bar!
If you need more breakfast inspiration, I have many great gluten-free breakfast recipes.
- This recipe is gluten free, egg-free, and nut-free.
- Make it dairy-free and vegan using plant-based cream cheese like VioLife or Daiya.
- Cream Cheese - I prefer full-fat cream cheese, but low-fat will also work.
- Roasted Red Peppers - I used jarred roasted red peppers when I made this recipe, but you can easily roast your own. To fire-roast your bell peppers, use this fire-roasting tutorial. Roasting red peppers is the same method as roasting chiles.
- Garlic - Fresh is best.
- Sriracha and Jalapeños - Optional if you like some spice.
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Recipe Step-By-Step Directions:
You only need cream cheese and a flavoring, like these roasted red peppers and garlic. Like things spicy? This easy-flavored cream cheese recipe is so adaptable! Have some friends over for brunch, and make a cream cheese bar for those gluten free bagels!
Step 1: Mix your ingredients into a Cuisinart or food processor. I love this little food processor attachment that came with my immersion blender. It makes this red pepper cream cheese so easy to make!
If you prefer, you can make this recipe in a Vitamix. I added garlic, cream cheese, roasted red peppers, and garlic.
Step 2: Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
More Schmear Flavors Options:
You can make so many fun flavors of cream cheese to serve with your bagels. Here are some fun ideas and directions on how to make flavored cream cheese:
- Blueberry - Add ¼ cup thawed frozen blueberries to softened cream cheese in a food processor to make blueberry schmear. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and blend!
- Garlic herb- Add 1 minced garlic clove and some of your favorite fresh herbs to the softened cream cheese. Blend in the food processor. Cooking with fresh herbs is so easy; you can grow fresh herbs in your kitchen window!
- Sun-dried tomato - Add 2 tablespoons of sun-dried tomatoes to your softened cream cheese. I recommend using those packed in oil, but drain the excess oil first.
- If you love cream cheese schmears, you will want to check out this easy Cinnamon Cream Cheese Schmear.
Cream cheese dips are also delicious spread on crackers or crostini, like in this Spicy Shrimp over Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Crostini appetizer. Or, if you want something quick, dip your favorite crackers into this. You can also dip vegetables and chips into this schmear!
Store in a sealed, airtight container in your refrigerator. It will last up to a week.
This cream cheese spread should last in an air-tight container in your refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you are looking for a cream cheese dip, it will quickly become your favorite because you can use it in many ways. The obvious use for a cream cheese schmear is to top bagels...but there are more uses! Why not use it for an appetizer?
Cream cheese spreads are easy to spread because they are much smoother in texture than brick cream cheese. Spreads can also be flavored.
More Delicious Pepper Recipes to Try:
- Easy Shishito Red Pepper Soup
- Sweet Pepper Fritatta
- 8 Ways to Fall In Love with Shishito Peppers
- Ground Beef Stuffed Pasilla Peppers
Roasted Red Pepper Cream Cheese Spread
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt to taste
- *optional ½ (or more) fresh jalapeno for some kick.
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Serve with bagels, crackers, or crostini.
- I used jarred fire-roasted red peppers to make this cream cheese schmear. You can also fire-roast your own red peppers by following the steps in this fire-roasted chiles tutorial.
- You can use full-fat or low-fat cream cheese.
- This cream cheese spread will keep up to 5 days in an air-tight container.
Please know that every gluten free flour blend has a different starch to grain ratio. If you use a blend I didn't test, you may need to adjust your moisture levels in your baked goods.
Nutritional information is an estimate provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the actual nutritional information with the products and brands you are using with your preferred nutritional calculator.
This post was updated from an older December 2016 with more recipe details.
Simplifying the art of baking and cooking gluten-free recipes.