This super easy roasted red pepper cream cheese spread is not only great on a bagel, but it makes a wonderful dip for crackers and chips too! If you have been looking for the best veggie cream cheese, this one is great!
I include dairy-free directions too for those who are dairy-free and vegan! Make this schmear in under 8 minutes!
Are you the bagel type who loves to slather them full of flavored cream cheese spread? We are and we are all about making homemade whipped cream cheese spreads!
My kids love when I make my homemade gluten free bagels for breakfast, and I used to buy several different flavors of cream cheese to go with them. Flavored cream cheeses could get expensive because flavored cream cheeses cost more than plain cream cheese.
I had no idea how easy it was to make my own cream cheese schmear in different flavors!! Savory or sweet, the process is the same for any flavor you want to create. This roasted red pepper spread is as easy as it gets!
This roasted red pepper cream cheese is perfect to serve with your breakfast or brunch.
Why this recipe is great:
You re going to love this easy veggie cream cheese because it is full of flavor, and uses very simple ingredients. I include a dairy-free vegan option so everyone can enjoy this recipe. (My homemade gluten free bagels recipe linked above is also vegan!)
What you need to make this:
- Cream cheese - I prefer full-fat cream cheese but low-fat will also work. If you are dairy-free, I recommend using Kite Hill brand vegan cream cheese.
- Roasted red peppers - I used jarred roasted red peppers when I made this recipe, but you can easily roast your own. To fire-roast your bell peppers, use this fire-roasting tutorial. Roasting red peppers is the same method as roasting chiles.
Recipe step by step directions:
All you need is cream cheese and a flavoring, like these roasted red peppers and garlic. Like things spicy? This easy flavored cream cheese recipe is so adaptable! Have some friends over for brunch and make a cream cheese bar for those gluten free bagels!
Step 1: Put your ingredients into a Cuisinart, or food processor, and mix. I love this little food processor attachment that came with my immersion blender. It makes this red pepper cream cheese so easy to make!
If you prefer, you can make this recipe in a Vitamix. Here I added garlic, cream cheese, roasted red peppers, and garlic.
Step 2: Blend until the mixture is creamy. Serve right away, or store in a sealed container in your refrigerator because this will last for up to a week.
More schmear flavors to make:
You can make so many fun flavors of cream cheese to serve with your bagels. Here are some fun ideas and directions how to make flavored cream cheese:
- Blueberry - To make blueberry schmear, add ¼ cup thawed frozen blueberries to softened cream cheese to a food processor. Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and blend!
- Garlic herb- Add 1 minced garlic clove and some of your favorite fresh herbs to the softened cream cheese. Blend in the food processor. Cooking with fresh herbs is so easy, you can even grow fresh herbs in your kitchen window!
- Sun-dried tomato - Add 2 tablespoons of sun-dried tomatoes to your softened cream cheese. I recommend using the ones packed in oil, but definitely drain the excess oil out first.
Cream cheese dips are also delicious spread on crackers or crostini, like in this Spicy Shrimp over Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Crostini appetizer. Or, if you want something quick, simply dip your favorite crackers into this. You can also dip vegetables and chips into this schmear!
If you love cream cheese schmears, you will want to check out this easy Cinnamon Cream Cheese Schmear too!
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
This cream cheese spread should last in an air-tight container in your refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you are looking for a dip made with cream cheese, this will quickly become your favorite because you can use it in so many ways. The obvious use for a cream cheese schmear is to top bagels...but there are more uses! Why not use it for an appetizer?
Cream cheese spreads are easy to spread because it is a lot smoother in texture than brick cream cheese. Spreads can also be flavored.
What will you spread this cream cheese schmear recipe on?
More Delicious Pepper Recipes to Try:
- Easy Shishito Red Pepper Soup
- Sweet Pepper Fritatta
- 8 Ways to Fall In Love with Shishito Peppers
- Ground Beef Stuffed Pasilla Peppers
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Roasted Red Pepper Cream Cheese Spread
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt to taste
- *optional ½ (or more) fresh jalapeno for some kick.
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Serve with bagels, crackers, or crostini.
- I used jarred fire-roasted red peppers to make this cream cheese schmear. You can also fire-roast your own red peppers by following the steps in this fire-roasted chiles tutorial.
- You can use full-fat or low-fat cream cheese.
- This cream cheese spread will keep up to 5 days in an air-tight container.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)