These Gluten free sugar cookies are a delicious treat at any time. This simple gluten free sugar cookie recipe makes delicious soft buttery cookies with crisp edges, just the way a cookie should be!! These cookies start in your mixing bowl and into your mouth in about 20 minutes!
Click for Table of Contents:
Drop sugar cookies are one of my favorite cookies because they have all of that famous sugar cookie taste, with half the work. No cookie cutters needed, you just get yummy cookies. If you prefer to use cookie cutters, you will want to try my Gluten Free Cut-Out Cookies recipe!
These gluten free sugar cookies are so good, you can even use them for ice cream sandwiches! I will keep nibbling on these delicious, soft gluten free sugar cookies until summer comes :-).
What makes these cookies great:
This gluten free sugar cookie recipe makes cookies with those perfect crisp edges, they hold together beautifully, AND you can freeze them to enjoy anytime. I include a dairy-free option too!
They are easy to decorate with gluten free sprinkles to make them fancy! I honestly believe this is the best gluten free sugar cookie recipe I've made.
Okay, I know we talked about the crispy edges...and the rich buttery taste. Let's talk about how to make this simple gluten free sugar cookie recipe. First, gather your ingredients.
- Gluten free flour blend - I have tested this recipe with two gluten free flour blends that I list below. It doesn't mean other brands won't work, but note if you use a starchier blend, you may need to adjust the moisture ratio of your cookie dough by adding more butter.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn't contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, you will need to add it so your cookies hold together.
- Vanilla - please make sure you use pure vanilla extract and not imitation.
- Butter - use dairy-free butter if you would like this recipe to be dairy-free too!
Step by step recipe directions:
You are going to love these cookies!! It is so easy to make these cookies from scratch!
Step 1: Pulse the flour mixture and butter in a food processor until it looks "grainy" and crumbly.
I have tested two gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn't mean other blends won't work, I just haven't tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
As always, if your blend does not contain Xanthan Gum, you will need to add 1 teaspoon.
Step 2: In a small bowl, add your wet ingredients and whisk to blend.
Step 3: Add the wet ingredients and mix well. Your dough should form a stiff ball. So far everything is going according to plan! Wrap the gluten free sugar cookie dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Step 4: Take the dough out of the refrigerator and then preheat the oven to 350º F. Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Use a cookie scoop to drop balls of cold dough onto a parchment-lined cookie baking sheet. Press down in the middle of each sugar cookie and add thick baker's sugar to each middle.
Bake the cookies at 350º F for 8-10 minutes.
Expert tips and recipe FAQ:
You don't have to refrigerate the dough, but it definitely makes the cookies better if you do. I refrigerated these for 1-2 hours.
These cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
I do not recommend using powdered sugar in this recipe. Your cookies will not turn out well.
- Add frosting and sprinkles
- Colored icings are a pretty way to decorate these gluten free cookies.
- Add sprinkles to the actual cookie dough for funfetti cookies
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do. If you are new to gluten free baking, don't forget to check out my Gluten Free Pantry Essentials to learn about the different gluten free flours and ingredients I use to make all of my gluten free recipes.
More Holiday Cookie Recipes:
- Gluten Free Vanillekipferl Cookies
- Gluten Free Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- Gluten Free Pfeffernusse Cookies
- Fun Halloween Cut Out Cookies
- Here is a roundup of the most popular cookie recipes on my blog!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
The Best Gluten Free Sugar Cookie recipe
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend * see note
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- dash of salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter * see note
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons course baking sugar optional
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Add dry ingredients to a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly.
- Pour flour mixture into a bowl and add eggs, vanilla and water and mix well.
- Wrap the dough ball in plastic and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop balls of dough onto the cookie sheet.
- Press down in the middle of each. Add a little of the course sugar to each center.
- Bake for 12 minutes until done.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- These cookies will keep up to 4 days in an air-tight container, or up to 4 months in the freezer.
- Feel free to decorate these cookies with sprinkles. You can sprinkle the dough balls, or mix sprinkles into the cookie dough before mixing. Make sure to use gluten free sprinkles brands.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)