If you miss a moist and delicious crumb cake since going gluten free...you know the ones I mean with those thick yummy toppings, this Simple Gluten Free Cinnamon Crumb Cake recipe is for you!
There is a video further down in this post that will show you how to make this cake for yourself. Cakes are popular on the blog so don't miss some of my best gluten free cake recipes!
Click for Table of Contents:
(*Note this cake is more golden because I used blond coconut sugar instead of regular sugar. You can use either sugar in this recipe!)
Grab a cup of your favorite coffee or tea because you are going to want that on-hand for this new recipe.
Did your grandmother like to bake? I had one grandmother who rarely cooked, and another who loved to cook. She also made a pound cake that was incredible. This gluten free lemon pound cake is close to her recipe!
When I would visit my grandmother (the one who loved to bake) when I was a child, there was always a cake ready to be eaten :-). My grandmother's crumb cake was always my favorite. I would pick the sweet crumbs off the top every time. I can just taste that cinnamon crumble topping!
Her easy crumb cake was a New York Style Crumb Cake, with the thick crumble topping. It was easily the best crumb coffee cake I had ever tasted.
Have you had a coffee cake like this?
This gluten free coffee cake recipe is a guess of her recipe. Unfortunately, I never got this recipe from her. I tried to combine all of the flavors I remembered like cinnamon and vanilla. Of course, this recipe is gluten free.
Healthier cake options:
To make this cake a little healthier (totally optional!) I made this cake gluten free refined sugar free. Don't forget that if you use blond coconut sugar as I did, the color of your crumb cake will be more golden.
You can totally use regular sugar if you want your cake a lighter coffee cake color. You can also add walnuts to the topping to add a little more protein!
More delicious gluten free cake recipes to try:
- Mr. Fearless Dining's family Gluten Free German Apple Cake recipe made also to be refined sugar free.
- This Gluten Free Devils Food Cake is for my chocolate cake fans.
- If you love lemon flavor, this Gluten Free Lemon Sour Cream Cake is really a delicious cake to serve.
- These healthy Gluten Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes make a fun way to hide veggies.
Are you ready to make this recipe for yourself?
Add the dry ingredients to a bowl. See how golden the blond coconut sugar is? It is what gives this gluten free crumb cake its golden tone. As I mentioned earlier, you can use regular sugar if you prefer a lighter color.
I have tested three gluten free flour blends in this recipe. I liked King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure, Nameste GF Flour, and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. This doesn't mean other blends won't work, I just haven't tested any others. Try to avoid flour blends that are high in starch.
As always, if your blend does not contain Xanthan Gum, you will need to add 1 teaspoon.
Use a whisk to blend the dry ingredients in the bowl. You want to make sure the dry ingredients are blended thoroughly.
How to temper eggs:
Start adding the wet ingredients to a bowl. Here I have the eggs and vanilla added. To temper the mixture so the hot melted butter won't cook the eggs, I add a tiny bit of the hot butter while whisking quickly. Continue to gradually whisk in the hot butter in small increments.
The next step to making this delicious gluten free coffee cake is to pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients.
Your cake batter will look like this. Again, if you use regular sugar, you will not have this golden-colored cake batter.
Pour your batter into a greased 8x8 cake pan. I used coconut oil spray to prevent sticking. Spread out the batter and set the cake aside. It is time to make that thick crumbly topping :-). Now is a good time to preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
How to make a gluten free crumb topping:
Add the crumb topping ingredients to a bowl. I did use refined organic sugar for this. You can use coconut sugar if you want to stick with unrefined sugars, but it will not melt and crumble quite the same.
TIP: Make sure your butter is VERY cold. I put my butter into the freezer for 20 minutes before adding it it. This will keep the topping crumbly.
Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the crumb topping ingredients.
How do you know the texture is right in your crumb topping?
You want your mixture to resemble small crumbs when you are done. It can take 5 minutes of using the pastry blender to achieve this.
Spread the crumb topping over the cake batter. Now your cake is ready to bake.
- Blond coconut sugar. It is lighter colored than the brown coconut sugar and gives your baking a golden color.
- One of these gluten free flour blends, Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 or Authentic Foods Multiblend. If your blend doesn't contain Xanthan gum, add 1 teaspoon.)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For Topping:
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 3/4 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- In a small bowl, add the ingredients for the topping. Use a pastry blender to cut the cold butter into the ingredients so that it makes crumbles.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased 8x8 baking pan.
- Pour the crumble mixture on top and lightly press into the batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until done.
- Allow to cool then slice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 5g
Please note this nutrition information is calculated by a recipe plugin and is an estimate based on the ingredients used in this recipe.