Each year as soon as it starts to warm up, I get a craving for this delicious rainbow chard curried tuna salad. It is like summer and the ever-popular tuna salad just go hand in hand. This really is the best tuna fish salad recipe I have ever tasted.
If you are new to gluten free living, don't forget to check out my Guide to Gluten Free Living as a resource to help you navigate the best ways to eat and stay safe.
You know how much I love to add hidden veggies to many of my recipes. This rainbow chard curried tuna salad isn’t any different. My family will gobble up every bite and not think twice about it. (Okay, maybe not my picky one, but everyone else loves this tuna salad recipe!
Another thing that is important to me is not wasting food. As you already know, food can be costly and to just throw things out makes me cringe. So, I like to find new and exciting ways to include foods many people don’t like to eat."
For example, I know most people don’t like Swiss Chard. Chard is so full of nutrients I can’t bear to toss it aside. Instead of using celery, I decided to use the brightly colored rainbow chard stems. The color is gorgeous, and it really enhances the dish!
Crunchy sunflower seeds, rainbow chard, sweet raisins, tuna, creamy mayo with curry make this tuna salad extraordinary. Don’t get me wrong, traditional tuna fish salad has a time and place, but I can’t get enough of these heavenly flavors. Once you find out how to make good tuna salad, I am pretty sure you will feel the same as I do. I highly recommend
Serve it on some gluten free sourdough bread, and you and your kids will be excited to chow down!
Fun ways to use Swiss chard
Eating swiss chard in the best tuna salad recipe happened by chance. I had some stems and just thought I would give it a shot. Goodness, that was a great idea! Here are some other fun ideas for you to use swiss chard.
- Sauteed - Chop chard into small pieces and add it to other veggies and sautee in oil. So good!
- Pickled - You will be surprised to know that you can pickle chard stems and it is incredible. Give it a try. Besides, isn’t everything better when it’s pickled?
- Wraps - You aren’t living until you bite into a wrap with swiss chard leaves. This would actually go perfectly with the curried tuna salad.
- Creamed - If you have made creamed spinach, you can make creamed swiss chard. It is so yummy. Just make sure to use gluten free ingredients.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Chop up your Swiss chard stems.
Step 2: Add the shredded carrots, chopped rainbow chard stems, sunflower seeds, and tuna to a bowl.
Step 3: Add in the mayonnaise, curry powder, and salt/pepper. Mix well.
Customize your salad:
This is the best tuna salad recipe ever, but if you are like me you will want to make a few adjustments sometimes. Here are some yummy ideas to try:
- Grapes - Add a little bit of extra sweetness with grapes.
- Green Onions - Dice up some green onions and toss in for an extra kick.
- Eggs - Boil some eggs, chop up and toss in.
What to serve with this salad:
- Vegetables - Serve with radishes, carrots, celery or any other veggie you love.
- Lettuce - Pick your favorite lettuce and place a dollop on top of a leaf. You can wrap it up and enjoy a refreshing light lunch.
- Chips - Everything tastes good with chips. Yum!
- French Fries - These delicious crispy baked french fries with curry dipping sauce are the perfect compliment.
Is curry powder gluten free?
Whether a spice is gluten free or not, you must read the label. The majority of spices are gluten free, but often companies add anti-caking agents to the spices so double check to ensure there is no wheat added, or that it isn't made on shared equipment with wheat.
Serve over chopped Swiss Chard leaves, salad, or in a sandwich with gluten free bread.
More easy salad recipes to try:
Easy Rainbow Swiss Chard Curried Tuna Salad
- ¼ cup chopped Swiss Chard stems
- 2 cans tuna fish packed in water, drained
- 3 tablespoons scallions
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- salt/pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.
- Serve chilled over lettuce, Swiss Chard leaves, or in a sandwich.
- This tuna salad will keep in an air-tight container in your refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- You can use regular or vegan mayonnaise.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)