BBQ grilled chicken nachos are the perfect dish for any tailgate party. Add your favorite toppings for a game day appetizer! Gluten free chicken nachos are easy to make to feed a crowd.
You may want to make a few batches because these will be eaten very quickly. They are that good!
If you love chicken as much as we do, you will want to check out ALL of my delicious Gluten Free Chicken Recipes.
Click for Table of Contents:
It is our favorite time of year. I can sum it up in just two words.
It is time to cheer loudly for our teams, get together with friends, and every now and then make the trek out to watch our teams in action....and eat nachos! Who are you rooting for? We are big Longhorn and Cal fans!
(Or maybe one of these yummy appetizers: Cheesy Southwestern Spinach and Corn Dip or these Bok Choy Deviled Eggs with Bacon.)
What better dish to serve up for our tailgate party than these deliciously easy chicken nachos!"
Nachos are one of my favorite appetizers because you can change them up in so many ways. Today we are skipping the spicy salsa and moving into BBQ sauce in honor of the Longhorns. Note that I used Stubb's Barbecue sauce, but there are so many good gluten free barbecue sauces out there. Just grab a bottle of your favorite.
Are tortilla chips gluten free?
A note about tortilla chips...I know many people assume a corn chip is gluten free, but you really do need to check. A good Celiac friend bought a bag of corn chips at Whole Foods last month, didn't read the label, and she got really sick.
Brands change, sometimes they don't use a dedicated fryer if it is a big company...please read the label!
- grilled chicken
- barbecue sauce
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
Not everyone likes the same toppings on their nachos. I have very different kids...don't even get me started on the picky one. She likes the chips and cheese. That is it. No salsa or barbecue sauce. My son and Mr. Fearless Dining like their nachos loaded and piled high with toppings.
If you like a more traditional nacho, try these delicious Black Bean Nachos. (There is a homemade bean dip recipe there too!)
- sausage (they are die-hard meat lovers!)
- salsa verde or regular salsa
- green chilis
- black beans, kidney beans, or pinto beans
- refried beans
Fire up your grill :-). The first step is to grill your chicken!
Use the thawed chicken to grill this recipe.
Can you grill frozen chicken?
I don't advise grilling frozen chicken, but here are some great tips for thawing your chicken so you can use it quickly:
- If you have time, soak the package of chicken in a sink with hot water for 20 minutes.
- Defrost them the chicken in the microwave for 5-8 minutes first. You want them to soften, but not cook all the way in the microwave.
- Increase the cooking time by 50%. You really want to ensure the chicken is cooked all the way through. Don't forget to use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is 165 degrees inside!
I took chicken thighs and added salt and pepper to each side. I then rubbed the chicken thighs with olive oil so they stay moist while grilling.
Remove the chicken from the grill and slice it thinly on a cutting board.
Next, spread chips out onto a pan and load with the grilled chicken and sauce. Use as much or as little chicken and BBQ sauce as you like! Add your favorite vegetables.
Bake the barbecue nachos for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Garnish the top with guacamole, sour cream, diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro, and jalapenos. You are going to love these healthy chicken nachos!
For more gluten free appetizer ideas, check them out.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
BBQ Gluten Free Chicken Nachos
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Stubb's Bar-B-Q sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 cups tortilla chips
- 1/3 cup corn kernals
- 1/4 cup guacamole
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno sliced thinly
- salt pepper, cayene pepper to taste
- Preheat your grill to 450 degrees.
- Rub chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- (*optional for spicy sprinkle a tiny amount of cayenne pepper onto each thigh)
- Brush each chicken thigh with olive oil.
- Grill until thighs are at 165 degrees.
- Remove, cover with foil and let thighs rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice chicken thinly.
- In a baking tray, add chips.
- Sprinkle barbecue sauce and chicken.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with tomatoes, corn, guacamole, sour cream, and jalapenos.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)