Sweet muffins with a slight bit of tartness from the fresh cranberries, and a thick cinnamon streusel topping...you will want to make these gluten free cranberry muffins over and over again!! These muffins make a wonderful addition to breakfast or brunch. If you love light and fluffy muffins you must give these a try this fall!
If you love muffins as much as we do, you will want to try all of my best gluten free muffins recipes.
I am just going to say it...these muffins are the best I have ever baked. They are light and fluffy and taste like they were purchased in a fancy bakery. Nobody will know these muffins are gluten free!
Muffins are one of those things I love to bake because I can sneak healthy stuff in, and my teens eat them up. My nut hating daughter has no idea these muffins are loaded with high protein almond flour.
Why these muffins are great:
These muffins are gluten free with a dairy-free option, making them perfect for those with food allergies. This gluten free cranberry muffin recipe makes a great muffin base and you can change it up all year long with different fruits! Give some of these fruits a try:
Variety is what makes this gluten free muffin recipe so popular. Cranberry lime is a fun flavor that is offset by the white chocolate chips. These muffins would be a great addition to breakfast or brunch!
What you need to make these:
- Gluten free flour blend - Gluten free flour blend - I tested this recipe using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- Almond flour - I don't recommend almond meal, it will change the texture of these muffins.
- Baking powder and salt
- Ground cinnamon
- Brown sugar - normally my recipes allow you to substitute coconut sugar, but in this case, coconut sugar will not work for the streusel topping.
- Eggs - size large.
- Pure vanilla extract - I do not recommend imitation vanilla.
- Coconut oil - or another light oil is fine.
- Butter - or vegan butter if you are dairy-free.
- Fresh cranberries - you can use dried as well.
- White chocolate chips - optional but so good with the tart cranberries.
Recipe step by step directions:
(See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.)
Step 1: Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to blend.
Step 2: In a smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix well.
Step 3: Add the wet ingredients and the fresh cranberries to the dry ingredients. Mix lightly.
The secret to delicious light and fluffy muffins is to not over-mix the batter!!
Step 4: Add the muffins to parchment paper muffin cups. Fill each cup ¾ full.
Step 5: Add the streusel topping ingredients to a bowl.
Step 6: Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour and sugars.
Step 6: Add some streusel topping to each muffin cup. Bake at 350º F for 30 minutes, depending on how much batter you fill each section with.
Remove from the oven and insert a toothpick into a muffin to test doneness. If there is nothing on the toothpick, they are finished baking. If you see batter or crumbs, they will need to bake a bit longer.
You can easily make this recipe dairy-free by using vegan butter in the streusel topping!
You can use dried cranberries, or switch it up with different fresh fruits.
More Easy Gluten Free Muffin Recipes:
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Cranberry Streusel Muffins
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons gluten free flour blend
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter cold
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. See notes below if you would like your muffins to have a dome top.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- In a smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients. Make sure the melted butter is not too hot or it will cook your eggs!
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add the cranberries, and mix until "just barely mixed". This is the big secret to light and fluffy muffins!!
- Let the batter sit while you mix up the gluten free streusel topping.
- In a small bowl, add the topping ingredients except the butter. Mix well.
- Use a pastry blender to cut in the cold butter until your mixture is crumbly.
- Put muffin liners into a muffin tin and fill each ¾ full with the muffin batter.
- Spoon some of the streusel topping over each muffin.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until done. Actual baking time may vary depending on the size and depth of the muffin tin you use.
- Enjoy :-).
- I have tested this recipe with King Arthur Measure for Measure GF and Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF blend. That doesn't mean others will not work, I just have not tested other flours.
- If your gluten free flour blend doesn’t contain xanthan gum or guar gum, please add 1 teaspoon.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegan butter.
- I highly suggest using almond flour and not almond meal. Almond meal is more coarse and will make your muffins grainy.
- To make this recipe nut-free, omit the almond flour and substitute an additional ½ gluten free flour blend.
- To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done baking. If you see batter or crumbs, the muffins need to bake longer.
- If you want your muffins to have a domed style top, bake at 425º F for the first 5 minutes then reduce the temperature to 350º F.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)
(*This recipe was updated from a 12/2016 post.)