Fresh peas and shiitake cooked to perfection in a buttery ginger sauce. This is an incredible side dish that even the kids will devour! This simple ginger peas recipe is quick and easy to make and goes with most main meals.
Click for Table of Contents:
Any side dish with peas is worth a try in my book because my kids love them. Given their reaction to this new peas recipe and I have to say this simple kid-friendly side is a winner! I love that Trader Joe's sells bags of shucked English peas. It isn't that I mind shucking peas, but that can take forever so this makes it so much easier!
If you are new to gluten free, you will want to read my guide to gluten free living for lots of tips to help those new to gluten free.
Why this recipe is so great:
This homemade peas side dish recipe is great because you make it with so few ingredients. You can make lots of substitutions so you don't have to worry if you are missing something...and best of all, everyone loves the flavor! Best of all, it is ready in about 12 minutes!
If you love quick and easy side dish recipes, you will also want to try this brown sugar cinnamon carrots recipe.
What you need to make this:
- Fresh peas - you can also use frozen peas but I do not recommend canned peas.
- Shiitake mushrooms - these are optional but taste so good with the fresh ginger.
- Fresh ginger - if you can't find it, you can use powdered.
- Butter or non-dairy butter depending on if you want this to be dairy-free as well.
Recipe step by step directions:
Step 1: Add butter to a pan and set to medium heat. Add in the sliced shiitake mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
Step 2: Use a grater to grate the fresh ginger into the frying pan. Add in the peas, salt, and water. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes until the peas are soft. Serve hot with your main meal.
If you don't have some of the ingredients on-hand, here are some easy substitutions you can try:
- Diced sweet potatoes
Serve these peas with:
- Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese
- Citrus Herb Cornish Game Hens
- Roasted Air Fryer Turkey Breast
- Gluten Free Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken
In a pinch, you can use ground ginger. I would use 1/4 teaspoon.
You can easily use garlic powder, but I would use 1/4 teaspoon or less as it is often potent.
These peas will keep up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
This dish cooks in about 15 minutes so there isn't much you can do to make it ahead. If you are using un-shucked pea pods, you could easily shuck the peas ahead of time.
You can definitely use frozen peas. If you do, omit the water because the frozen peas will make enough water.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Kid-Friendly Ginger Peas
- 1 1/2 cups fresh peas *see note
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1/3 cup shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- If your peas are still in their pods, you will need to shuck them first.
- Add the butter and mushrooms to a large skillet and cook on medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Add the peas and the rest of the ingredients Bring to a boil, about 3 minutes
- Cover and turn the heat to simmer for another 8 minutes. Serve hot.
- You can use fresh or frozen peas for this recipe. I do not advise using canned peas as they are salted and somewhat mushy.
- Use butter, vegan butter, or any light oil but I would skip any strongly flavored oils like coconut.
- If you do not have fresh ginger on-hand, you can substitute 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)