If you are looking for a healthy dinner idea, these cheesy gluten free stuffed peppers are so worth a try. These stuffed peppers are full of flavor! You will love that this simple stuffed peppers recipe is ready in just 30 minutes!
We take dinner seriously here so if you need more dinner inspiration, check out some of these gluten free dinner recipes.
Click for Table of Contents:
You need to try this because:
You are going to love this gluten free stuffed pepper recipe because not only are stuffed peppers quick and easy to make, but you can make them ahead and bake when you are ready to have them for dinner! Dinner can be ready in under 30 minutes!
Ground turkey is often much cheaper than ground beef so this is a great recipe if you are sticking to a gluten free budget. Ground turkey is also a lot healthier, low-fat, and kids love the flavor.
This recipe is like turkey meatloaf baked in a pepper!
What you need to make this:
- Ground turkey - but have no fear, you can also use ground beef, pork, or chicken!
- Bell peppers - any color you can find. Red, yellow, and orange bell peppers tend to be a little sweeter than green peppers. Mr. Fearless Dining loves stuffed green peppers better but the kids like sweeter yellow and red peppers :-).
- Gluten free bread crumbs or panko - either works well or get creative and try smooshed gluten free pretzels!
- Sun-dried tomatoes - I love Trader Joe's in the olive oil. Make sure the ones you use are not too tough.
- Shredded cheese - I used a Mexican blend but you can use cheddar or mozzarella.
🔪 Step by step recipe directions:
Step 1: Wash your bell peppers. Cut around the stem, about one inch away from the stem. Lift the top off and pull out the seeds to hollow the inside. The other option is to cut the pepper in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and stem from the halves.
Step 2: Make the meat filling. Add ground turkey, egg, gluten free panko, scallions, cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes to a large bowl.
What kind of gluten free panko is best?
There are several great gluten free panko brands out there. Ian's, 4C, and Kikkoman both make gluten free ones.
TIP: If you can't find gluten free panko, you can use regular gluten free breadcrumbs, Trader Joe's Rice Crumbs instead, or make gluten free bread crumbs from scratch.
Step 3: Mix the meat filling.
Step 4: Use a large spoon to add the stuffing into the peppers. Fill each pepper up.
Step 5: Sprinkle more shredded cheese on top of each pepper. Place in a 9x13 baking dish.
Step 6: Pop the peppers in the oven and bake at 375º F for 30 minutes. The size of the peppers really determines how long your recipe will need to bake. If your bell peppers are tall, you will need to bake them for longer.
Expert Tips and Recipe FAQ:
You can use any ground meat you like in this stuffed pepper recipe. You can use ground beef, ground bison, ground pork, or ground chicken meat.
For this recipe, you do not have to brown the meat before stuffing the peppers. In fact, the flavors all blend while cooking together and it is much better if you cook the meat inside the bell peppers.
I am all for easy. Blanching involved dropping the peppers into boiling water and that is an extra step that is not needed for this recipe.
To test to see if your gluten free stuffed peppers are done baking, insert a meat thermometer into the pepper, halfway through the meat. You want an internal temperature of 165º F.
You can easily make these stuffed peppers gluten free by using a dairy free cheese.
If you want a little spicer twist, why not try this recipe as in this stuffed poblano peppers recipe?
More kid-friendly dinner recipes:
Here are some of our family's favorite gluten free dinner recipes.
- This homemade Gluten Free Fried Chicken recipe is one of the most popular on the blog, and for good reason because it is crisp and delicious.
- This mild Gluten Free Curried Chicken Pot Pie is a big hit for dinner.
- Kids love this delicious cheesy Gluten Free Ziti Casserole. It is just like lasagna but with pasta.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please leave me a rating and a comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest to see even more delicious recipes!
Gluten Free Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound ground turkey breast meat is leanest
- 4 bell peppers top and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
- 1/4 cup Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup gluten free panko * see note
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients (except peppers.)
- Wash peppers, remove the tops, and remove the seeds.
- Scoop stuffing into each pepper then top with more cheese.
- Put in a baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes until done. Baking time will vary by the size and depth of the peppers.
- You can use any ground meat for this stuffed peppers recipe. We have used ground beef, pork, and chicken.
- You can use any color bell pepper. Red, orange, and yellow peppers tend to be sweeter than green peppers.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, use dairy-free cheese like Daiya.
- You can use gluten free panko, bread crumbs, or something fun like crushed pretzels or corn tortilla chips. You can also make your own gluten free bread crumbs.
- You do not have to blanch the peppers before stuffing them.
- Test the peppers to see if they are done baking by inserting a meat thermometer into a pepper. If the pepper is 165 F degrees, your peppers are finished baking.
If you love the recipes you are finding on my blog, I would love for you to sign up for my newsletter (and get my free chocolate e-cookbook!)
(*This recipe was updated from an older March 2015 post.)