Pasilla peppers are a perfect pepper to stuff and bake. These stuffed pasilla peppers are mild, and add a great flavor that bakes into the filling.
Bake pasilla peppers into a casserole for a delicious dinner that is perfect for potlucks too. If you love Mexican food as much as we do, check out all of my great gluten free Mexican recipes.
Click for Table of Contents:
This summer has been a really busy summer for our family. We have been entertaining friends, and also going to some fun parties. Many of the parties we have gone to have been potluck this year.
Potlucks can be tricky when your family is gluten free, so we always like to bring a main dish so I know our family has something hearty that we can eat safely.
Summer is also fresh pepper season and pasilla peppers are one of my favorite types of pepper to cook with. You definitely can't go wrong with this Mexican stuffed pepper recipe.
This easy ground beef stuffed pasilla pepper recipe is perfect for an easy dinner.
Here is another family favorite to take to a potluck, Super Cheesy Zucchini Ribbon Lasagna Alfredo.
What are pasilla peppers?
Pasilla peppers are a mild to medium spicy pepper that is on the large side, making them perfect to stuff and bake. I love spicy foods, and I have yet to find a really spicy pasilla pepper. Pasilla peppers are in stores year round, thanks to moderate Mexican weather.
Pasilla Peppers aka Poblano Peppers
The fresh produce section is huge and when I first and saw these big fresh pasilla peppers, I knew they would make a great stuffed pepper dish. Pasilla peppers are also known as poblano peppers. A lot of people wonder if Chile Pasilla are hot.
These peppers have mild to moderate heat...but if you clean out the seeds before you make this recipe, they won't be too spicy.
Pasilla peppers are mild and widely liked. I also picked up a bunch of spring onions and fresh cilantro to cook into the meat.
You can roast pasilla peppers, but I found they hold up better when they are stuffed with the ground beef when they are raw. This way the flavors all bake together.
More stuffing ideas:
- Roasted chicken and cheddar cheese.
- Make it vegetarian and stuff your pasilla peppers with Mexican rice and black beans.
- Go vegan and stuff your peppers with quinoa, kidney beans, tomato, and a vegan cheese.
- Stuff and bake your pasilla peppers with chili and top with cheddar cheese.
If you love peppers, this Mini Sausage Stuffed Pepper appetizer recipe is fun to serve on game day!
This casserole is really easy to make. Brown lean ground beef with spring onions. Add seasonings. This meat mixture will cook for 10 minutes.
TIP: Drain the fat out of the pan into a paper cup. (Don't dump grease down the sink, it can adhere to pipes causing blockages later on!) Once the fat cools, toss it into the trash.
Remove tops of pasilla peppers and also remove the seeds. In many peppers, a lot of the spice is in the seeds so make sure you remove all of the seeds.
Cut the peppers in half lengthwise. They make the perfect vessel to stuff with meat and cheese!
Add tomatoes and continue to cook. Stuff each pepper with the meat mixture.
Top with corn and cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.
Are you ready to make this easy ground beef stuffed pepper recipe?
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3-4 in pasilla peppers, tops and seeds removed, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 spring onions, sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray non stick oil in a casserole dish.
- In a large pan, cook ground beef and spring onions.
- Cook until meat is cooked thoroughly.
- Season with salt, chili powder, cumin, and pepper.
- Add diced tomatoes and simmer.
- Place pasilla peppers in casserole dish.
- Fill each pepper with meat mixture.
- Top with corn and Mexican cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with fresh cilantro.
- *optional sour cream
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 711mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 39g
Please note this nutrition information is calculated by a recipe plugin and is an estimate based on the ingredients used in this recipe.